Amazon is in The Streaming Business for the Long Haul

Prime-Video-screen.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Amazon's streaming video efforts have gained traction in 2022, but 2023 will bring changes due to the retirement of longtime exec Jeff Blackburn.

This part of the article jumped out to me.

Two days before the Blackburn news became official, Amazon CEO Andy Jassy addressed the state of the company’s video efforts during an appearance at the New York Times DealBook conference. Video “is a really important ingredient in whether people choose to sign up for Prime or not,” the exec said of the company’s loyalty program, which has more than 200 million members. “We see more and more people signing up to Prime because of the video content.” When people come to Prime for video, he added, “they tend to spend money with us in our stores and our e-commerce offerings. I do think over time we have opportunities to make our Prime Video business a stand-alone business that has very attractive economics.”

As did this one...

The breakthrough of The Rings of Power and Thursday Night Football in the fall helped make Prime Video the No. 1 subscription streaming service in the U.S. as of September, surpassing Netflix for the first time in rankings compiled by research firm Parks Associates. A longtime also-ran compared with digital advertising giants Google and Facebook, Amazon has surged into contention thanks to its sports-led streaming efforts. To Jassy’s synergy point, it has also sought to leverage the NFL telecasts to try to point viewers to Amazon’s e-commerce offerings, teasing Prime discounts for Gillette razors and other products.

Did NOT know that they dethroned Netflix as the number one streamer but it's not surprising. No live sports is a HUGE hole in Netflix' programing and until they rectify that, they will continue to be everyone's secondary, tertiary or even occasional  streaming choice. Like folks will get Netflix when a show or movie they like comes out and they they will binge it and cancel the sub. They really need to rethink their model.... do they offer discounted bundles? Like can i pay for a year or two of Netflix upfront at reduced cost that end up being cheaper than the monthly subscription fee?

also tagging @Commissar SFLUFAN and @sblfilms because we were just discussing this in another thread.... can't remember which one :p

• Like 1

Just now, Bacon said:

Disney and HBO took everything Netflix had that I wanted. Sure, Netflix still has a few things, but I can't see why anyone would stay subscribed. 

And this is their problem... they're completely dependent on new I.P. but it doesn't come out often enough to keep people subbed. Sure they have some great show, but once you watch them you have to wait for another season. I just don't see how their model is sustainable anymore... that said I would LOVE to be in business with them before they fold :p

Yeah, Jassy is going to continue to rebuild the Prime Video business. Will be interesting to see where it is in 5 years. I definitely see live sports and unscripted content being a major piece.

Even Apple has been throwing cash into live sports with their MLB deal and now the huge MLS 10 year rights deal.

I also sometimes wonder what would have happened if Netflix would have used all their early cash infusions on things like perpetual licenses of the major studio content back when the studios were giving it away without any realization of the true value of their libraries?

Netflix created an entire market, set the value propositions, and ultimately got the rug pulled with no easy path forward. 

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

And this is their problem... they're completely dependent on new I.P. but it doesn't come out often enough to keep people subbed. Sure they have some great show, but once you watch them you have to wait for another season. I just don't see how their model is sustainable anymore... that said I would LOVE to be in business with them before they fold :p

And so much of that has to be due to pushing folks to binge. A 10 episode series has the potential to keep someone around for 10 weeks. You can advertise something else between those weekly episodes. Instead, they just encourage people to binge those 10 episodes in a few days and then never come back. I'm sure that worked great when they had all the content and were the only real player in town, but they aren't anymore.

31 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

And so much of that has to be due to pushing folks to binge. A 10 episode series has the potential to keep someone around for 10 weeks. You can advertise something else between those weekly episodes. Instead, they just encourage people to binge those 10 episodes in a few days and then never come back. I'm sure that worked great when they had all the content and were the only real player in town, but they aren't anymore.

Yeah but now they're at the mercy of the model they created. I mean "Netflix and Chill" is a part of the public lexicon... they're company name is a fucking verb now so they can't just aburptly back away from the binge model. I think they answer for them, at least partially, is to partner up with a major sports organization. Since the NFL is pretty much spoken for and so is MLB, that leaves the NBA and or UFC. I think having some exclusive content from either one or both could help drive subs AND retention of those subs. They changed the game and forced a bunch of companies that would not have done so as quickly to embrace streaming and now they have to continue to adapt or become victims of their own successes. 

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Netflix is at such a comparative financial disadvantage against Prime Video, Disney+, and Apple TV+ that I don't know how their executives are able to sleep at night.

Having to compete against one of them would be challenging enough, but against ALL of them at the same bloody time?!?  Lord have mercy!

Also I don't see a merger with one of them being out of the question given all of the crazy shit we've seen in the last decade or so. Might be the only way they survive... or maybe merge with one of the other big tech companies that want to get into the content game. Maybe Google? :thinking::mthinking:

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Also I don't see a merger with one of them being out of the question given all of the crazy shit we've seen in the last decade or so. Might be the only way they survive... or maybe merge with one of the other big tech companies that want to get into the content game. Maybe Google? :thinking::mthinking:

Google has YouTube. I don't see why they would ever want to venture further into the world of scripted content. They spend zero dollars up front for all this content and all they have to do is keep advertisers happy. They probably would be happier if they could get more people subscribing to YouTube Red, but I guess that as more of a value proposition than an content issue.

Now Microsoft. I can see them loving the idea of an entertainment bundle that includes movies and TV alongside games.

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Microsoft is another contender... do they have the cash for it though? Probably do :p

As of September 30, 2022, MS had $107.3 billion in cash and cash equivalents.

Netflix currently has a market capitalization of $139.1 billion, so MS wouldn't be able to acquire it in an "all-cash" transaction, but some combination of cash plus MS stock would be the structure of the deal as MS has a market capitalization of $1.9 trillion.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Microsoft is another contender...

Let me tell you, the watch parties you could do on the 360 when they introduced those stupid avatars was the fuckin' best shit. You could watch movies and shows together in your own house in perfect sync from all over the world(America?) 

8 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Let me tell you, the watch parties you could do on the 360 when they introduced those stupid avatars was the fuckin' best shit. You could watch movies and shows together in your own house in perfect sync from all over the world(America?) 

I think you can do that on both Amazon and netflix... or something similar. 

Netflix simply does not have the depth of content in the library to tide people over between new releases. Literally day one Disney+ and HBO Max had better content than Netflix even with virtually no new meaningful original content at launch.

The binge model is also problematic for subscriber retention. I think they saw the benefit of a delayed release schedule with the two separate episode drops for the newest Stranger Things. I think the binge model is in it’s last days

7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

While the price for subscription continues to go way too high for Netflix. 

35 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I like hockey more than NBA or UFC. 🤷‍♀️

Isn't Hockey more popular as an in person sport than a televised one? I don't know if the sport is worth what it would cost Netflix to get it exclusively. Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, Hockey is regional as well... it's more popular in some markets than others right? NBA and UFC both have more widespread appeal. I like Boxing and DAZN is out there just waiting for someone to acquire them. Boxing is probably as niche as Hockey is.

The only other sporting organization I could see adding to Netlix is Wrestling. If they partnered up with one of the big wrestling promotions that might do them some good too. But Hockey and Boxing? I don't think that would help them much considering how much they would cost. Boxing doesn't even have an organization. They would have to deal with the promoters and the fighters themselves. ESPN, DAZN and Showtime have all that locked up anyway.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Isn't Hockey more popular as an in person sport than a televised one? I don't know if the sport is worth what it would cost Netflix to get it exclusively.

I mean, none of these sports are truly exclusive to these streaming services. Amazon only shows TNF, you can catch the rest on other networks (even Peacock).

Just throw some money in to put some games on there and people will show up.

As for the rest of what you said. People do say it is more enjoyable pin person yes but it's still enjoyable on TV. I would say NBA is just as regional as NHL is. Heck San Diego has an AHL team and no NBA team so arguably hockey is more popular here than basketball. :p

Also, Hockey (or NBA) could be more profitable in the long run. NFL seasons are shorter so Amazon payed 1.2 billion for less than 16 games a year but NHL and NBA seasons run longer so arguably if people want to watch it they'll stay signed up for longer.

25 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Stay tuned...

I would like to since I don't have TV and when you stream the games on Peacock the stream gets all glitchy and stuff.

Also, NFL should have done this long ago. When you watch it's just like on TV and I assume most of their revenue is from ads. Why haven't they always just streamed all the games in various places? With the ads I don't see why they wouldn't

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:
Jeff-Bezos-Amazon.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Given the downturn in Amazon's stock price and operational challenges ahead, one investor predicts founder Jeff Bezos will return as CEO in 2023.

Crazy massive budget vanity projects are BACK ON THE MENU, BOYS