The "Best Games Of 2022" Lists Have Begun

Commissar SFLUFAN

It's that Most Wonderful Time of the Year when publications/websites release their "Best Of 2022" Lists and we get a chance to nod our heads in agreement and/or shake our heads in disbelief at their selections.

Time Magazine: The 10 Best Video Games of 2022

10. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge
09. LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
08. Resident Evil Village: Shadows of Rose
07. Sifu
06. The Last of Us Part 1
05. Stray
04. Elden Ring
03. The Quarry
02. Horizon Forbidden West

Spoiler

01. God of War Ragnarok

Paste Magazine: The 30 Best Games of 2022 (Top 10 Posted)

10: Tunic
09: Vampire Survivors
08: Live A Live
07: Neon White
06: Signalis
05: Elden Ring
04: Pentiment
03: Immortality
02: Citizen Sleeper

Spoiler

01: NORCO :twothumbsup: :thumbup::clap: :bow:

I don't think I can do a top 10

3. Elden Ring

2. God of War Ragnarok 

1. Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker (games that come out in December count for the next year)

I could be missing a game but I think these are the only new games I have played this year. 

Looking at the 2022 release calendar, I haven't played a lot of games from 2022. I played a number of games, particularly shorter indie games, but mostly from 2021 and previous years.  I'm still working my way through these games from 2022:

-God of War: Ragnarok (definitely going to beat before end of year)

-Horizon Forbidden West (likely going to 100% this before end of year)

-Elden Ring (no idea, very long game)

-Triangle Strategy (no idea, another very long game, playing on PC)

The games (from 2022 specifically) that I've played and beaten are just:

-Anno: Mutationem

-Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamer's Edition (I don't think this counts, it's a remaster)

-Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course (this was just DLC, don't think it counts)

And there are games I still want to get to from 2022:

-The Callisto Protocol (will be making sure I get to this before end of year)

-Pentiment

-Sifu

-Tactics Ogre: Reborn (not sure this counts, this is a remaster/pseudo-remake)

-Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - Reunion (again, this is a remaster/pseudo-remake, not a new game from 2022)

-Front Mission 1 (again, this is a remake, not a new game from 2022)

Kind of a weak year for actually new games actually from 2022 that interested me at least. So I'm not sure I can comment on any 2022 lists. Having The Last of Us Part 1 on the one list alone is hilarious - that game has already come out twice, are we really going to count that as a fresh game from 2022? And it's never a good sign for the year when a game's DLC (Resident Evil 8's) makes the cut on that first list in the OP above other full games that released this year.

• Halal 1

I have barely played any games from this year or last.  The ones I played and enjoyed:

Rollerdrome (3.5/5)

Bayonetta 3 (5/5)

The only newer game that I bought and did not enjoy was The Quarry.  I thought it was an extremely boring mess, which is surprising because I really loved Until Dawn!  I couldn't even finish it.  I started Sonic Frontiers which I really enjoy so far, but I haven't made much progress.  Prodeus I liked but it wore thin extremely quickly.  Dusk remains the best retro shooter.

I'm trying to adjust for recency bias so I can't say definitively that Bayonetta 3 is my favorite action game I've ever played, but it sure seems like it is.

Ill still beat a few more games this year and Ill adjust but let me see here currently 

Elden Ring

Sonic Frontiers

GOW2

Kirby

Oli Oli World

Horizon FW

Pokemon Legends (or scarlet/violet, whichever I end up enjoying more, both are excellent)

Ghostwire Tokyo

Dying Light 2

Gotham Knights

Edit: GOW2 probably moves to second place after I beat it, but I liked Sonic so much that GOW2 will need to stick it’s landing to earn that place!

I did not expect Elden Ring to be my number one, almost didn’t even bother getting it due to concerns over difficulty.

Best game related thing overall this year is Steam Deck. Absolutely surpassed my already high expectations, one of the happiest purchases of my life. They knocked it out of the park with comparability in a way where I thought it would be a few years to get here and the design is deceptively sublime.

I noticed I didn’t really play any narrative focused games this year besides True Colors which would make it had it came out this year. I think part of that is getting used to the pain still, I tend to go towards really gamey things that let me mash buttons and zone out and forget about it. That’s harder for me right now with narrative focused games.

• Halal 1

I've actually beat a fair amount of games just because they are on game pass.

A Memoir Blue, and Last Stop (Which I guess is technically a game from last year)

Working through Tinykin and Pentiment (And Eiyuden Chronicles Rising too)

Have played a fair amount of Hush Hush, I probably should finish it up

And still chipping away at Elden Ring.

• Halal 1

Oh biggest disappointment of the year? Mario Soccer on switch. I’m not even going to bother googling the actual name. Nice core game play but absolutely nothing else. Give some damn single player meat in your sports games. If the next Nintendo sports title is that bare hones it will be the first one I skip in awhile.

• Sad 1

I think my favorite game of the year was Forbidden West. As a sequel, it really expanded upon nearly everything that they needed to, while taking some great strides in other areas (like fully directed dialog sequences). It's a wonderful open world game, with great combat and a great story and was just a joy to play. Ragnarok is a close second, and could easily be first depending on what day you ask me. Both games are so well polished and such great overall packages that I'll happily replay both before their next installments.

Destiny 2 continued to take up most of my time, and I think the year of the Witch Queen has been very good for the game. I think the seasonal model they have now needs to be shaken up a bit, and hopefully Lightfall fixes things, but overall I think the game has been as good as ever. The moment to moment gunplay is still top notch, and I've had a ton of fun with the new builds this year. I do think my playtime will dip a lot in the next season unless they do something unexpected

Elden Ring certainly deserves a special mention, as it's an incredible achievement. I just kinda wish it was a better game. There's so much to love about it, but I'm constantly frustrated by it, and it's not even the difficulty that bothers me.

48 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The New Yorker - The Best Video Games of 2022

In no particular order:

• Elden Ring
  • Immortality
  • Norco
  • Trombone Champ
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • The Case of the Golden Idol
  • Vampire Survivors
  • Marvel Snap
  • Hardspace: Shipbreaker
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Kirby: The Forgotten Land
  • Wordle

This is the most interesting and varied list I've seen so far, I think it's my favorite.  And the author going hard at how bad games are now gave me life.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The New Yorker - The Best Video Games of 2022

In no particular order:

• Elden Ring
  • Immortality
  • Norco
  • Trombone Champ
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • The Case of the Golden Idol
  • Vampire Survivors
  • Marvel Snap
  • Hardspace: Shipbreaker
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Kirby: The Forgotten Land
  • Wordle

How does Cyberpunk 2077 count for 2022? It was out for 3 weeks in 2021. Also Wordle? Weird. No Horizion II or God of War: Ragnarok is kind of silly but I get wanting to go with lesser known or more interesting/varied game choices for the list. Otherwise this list further proves 2022 was a poor year for non-remaster, non-remake, non-re-release games. 

15 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

How does Cyberpunk 2077 count for 2022? It was out for 3 weeks in 2021. Also Wordle? Weird. No Horizion II or God of War: Ragnarok is kind of silly but I get wanting to go with lesser known or more interesting/varied game choices for the list. Otherwise this list further proves 2022 was a poor year for non-remaster, non-remake, non-re-release games. 

The New Yorker's standard isn't the best games that were actually released in 2022 - it's the best games that they played in 2022 regardless of when they initially released.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The New Yorker's standard isn't the best games that were actually released in 2022 - it's the best games that they played in 2022 regardless of when they initially released.

Ah, well that's kind of silly because what if I just played only great games from throughout the years in 2022? Not really a "best of 2022" list, just "list of the games I played in 2022 that I thought were my personal top ten" list. :p 

• True 1

6 hours ago, stepee said:

Man Kirby is getting robbed. I expect Sonic to get robbed but cmon why my boy Kirby getting this disrespect.

I don’t know what a patrick’s parabox is but it’s no Kirby I know that much.

Speaking of getting robbed… I’m sitting here wondering why any JRPG this year is beating out XB3.  So many lists are leaving it out of top 10.  Should be a shoe-in IMO.  At least Game Awards is giving it the recognition it deserves.

I could see Kirby being top 10 for me.  But I’m not paying full price for a second Switch game this year.