Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update: Update 2.1 "Overview" trailer and patch notes

legend

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Cyberpunk 2077 (Early Access) - Information Thread, update: "Phantom Liberty" Official Teaser Trailer #2 featuring Idris Elba
  • 3 months later...

I've finally managed to put some real time into the game, and I'm largely enjoying it. I'm still running into bugs and oddities, but so far nothing game-breaking or consistently reoccurring. I've gotten strange bugs where I teleport across rooms over to ladders or ledges I've climbed on, but again, not consistently. It takes a while to get into the flow of the game and not be overwhelmed with everything that is and isn't well explained.

I'll admit that what really got me through it this time was my awe at the graphics and the game world. Now that I've got a new GPU and I can run it with Psycho RT it's an incredible looking game. More than just technically though, it really feels like a city. It's up there with Elden Ring as one of the most impressive open worlds in gaming.

I'm still not in love with the flow of combat. I've tried a few different tactics, stealth, sniping, guns blazing, and none feel great. As I've gotten more gear and abilities, it's gotten better, but I still wouldn't say the combat is a big draw here.

After 30 hours, I'm better at navigating the interface, but I can't help but feel like it needs a big re-work. There is a ton going on in this game and the UI often fights against what you might want to do, obfuscating what otherwise might be a simple task. There are a ton of consistency issues as well. Even something like backing out of a screen or menu might mean pressing C or Esc. Sometimes either will work, even when only one is listed, sometimes neither. Most of the time, interact is f, but sometimes it's not. Fast travel means finding a terminal, and make sure you know where you're going, because the fast travel map doesn't overlay everything your regular map does. Sometimes you can quickly send required responses at the end of missions, sometimes you need to navigate the menu to do it.

Then there are game system challenges that I feel like are really unforced errors. I can understand why it's hard to make a UI given everything there is to do and manage in this game. I understand why consistency might be a problem when so many different systems interact and overlap. But you can't respec your character without mods, which is just crazy for a game like this.

Another thing I needed a mod to fix was the crafting system, which can be punitive and buggy to boot. You can't re-craft iconic weapons, and upgrading gets so expensive so quickly, that if you find a gun you really like early in the game, you can't just keep it up to date. I really thought I was missing something here, but nope, it just sucks. Also, I know there is some RPG math going on in the background when a gun is crafted, but the disconnect between what you expect to get when you craft and what you end up with can be crazy. There is one gun (Overwatch sniper) that refuses to update itself when I craft the higher level version. My current one (which I picked up maybe 20 levels ago) says something like 180 DPS. When I go to craft the epic version, the tooltip shows that it'll be 300 DPS, but the crafted one always comes out extremely close to what I already have. Other guns don't have this problem, usually coming out much higher DPS than what I expect. It seems like others have had similar bugs around crafting weapons, mods or no mods.

I just finished Act 2, and I'll happily finish the game and play through the expansion when it releases, but even after two years, this remains an incredible game that still feels like it needs work. I am glad that I waited to play it though, because with RT turned all the way up, this game really shows off the potential of the tech.

• Halal 3

I'm at the end of Act 2 now and still have a bunch of side quests / gigs to do, but I think I want to try out some new play styles and see how they play, any suggestions? What has been the most fun for people? I can look up builds online, but I'd like to hear what you all found to be the most exciting.

The play style that I've built up to now has me relying mostly on a sniper rife. For combat encounters, if they're simple, I just ping and use recon grenades to get active outlines of all the baddies and then I shoot them through walls with Breakneck. If someone manages to get close I keep a shotgun and SMG on me as well, but most of my killing is with the sniper through walls. Only takes maybe 30 seconds to clear out most Assault in Progress things on hard. I also now have enough hacking stats and stuff that I can use those abilities to help out and get me through any stealth encounters. Over the course of the game my playstyle has shifted from a more assault style to this, but I've been doing this for maybe 10-15 hours now and it's extremely effective, but not always the most engaging way to play.

I'm on PC, so I imagine I can find a mod to respec my character entirely.

Any suggestions?

42 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I'm at the end of Act 2 now and still have a bunch of side quests / gigs to do, but I think I want to try out some new play styles and see how they play, any suggestions? What has been the most fun for people? I can look up builds online, but I'd like to hear what you all found to be the most exciting.

The play style that I've built up to now has me relying mostly on a sniper rife. For combat encounters, if they're simple, I just ping and use recon grenades to get active outlines of all the baddies and then I shoot them through walls with Breakneck. If someone manages to get close I keep a shotgun and SMG on me as well, but most of my killing is with the sniper through walls. Only takes maybe 30 seconds to clear out most Assault in Progress things on hard. I also now have enough hacking stats and stuff that I can use those abilities to help out and get me through any stealth encounters. Over the course of the game my playstyle has shifted from a more assault style to this, but I've been doing this for maybe 10-15 hours now and it's extremely effective, but not always the most engaging way to play.

I'm on PC, so I imagine I can find a mod to respec my character entirely.

Any suggestions?

I played mostly with blades, running around all crazy, going high on speed and agility, and slashing everyone up. That was the most fun for me but I don’t remember the specifics of how I specced! Maybe @legend remembers those details better as he played similarly!

• Like 2
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I played mostly with blades, running around all crazy, going high on speed and agility, and slashing everyone up. That was the most fun for me but I don’t remember the specifics of how I specced! Maybe @legend remembers those details better as he played similarly!

I do not remember either unfortunately! It's been a while and I've been waiting for the expansion before I play more again. But it feels like the expansion is always just out of reach!

• True 1

24 minutes ago, stepee said:

Also apparently the new path tracing runs at native 4k at 15fps on a 4090 lets go boys 

The DLSS3 sounds like good performance though! Unfortunately, I'm still using my 3080 and I don't know if it will translate to decent performance on that.

It's always fucking CDPR that makes me want to upgrade!

• Sicko 2

11 minutes ago, legend said:

The DLSS3 sounds like good performance though! Unfortunately, I'm still using my 3080 and I don't know if it will translate to decent performance on that.

It's always fucking CDPR that makes me want to upgrade!

lol yeah I know it’s fine with dlss3 but still!!

• Haha 1

verticalimage1675968921790-2951976.png?w
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

This isn't the first path-traced video game we've ever seen. Nvidia - and even modders - have revisited legacy PC title…

So, the idea of a path traced version of an already challenging-to-run triple-A title sounds like a performance nightmare for anything other than best-of-the-best hardware - and yes, obviously it's going to require some seriously capable graphics hardware.

That said, it's worth noting that the tests we've done were at reconstructed 4K resolution aided by DLSS 3 frame generation - and it's delivering some really impressive frame-rates. By comparing and contrasting with existing benchmarks, you should be able to get some idea of how the game scales onto less capable GPUs than the RTX 4090. Yes, it's challenging, but it's also scalable and once we're back from our extended weekend, we'll be showing you how the upgrade runs on 40-series cards lower down the stack - and even how it runs on 30-series cards too (yes, it can be done). In the meantime, enjoy the preview embedded above.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

6 minutes ago, Ominous said:

really want to see how this "runs" on my 3090 with dlss.  

Well if a 4090 runs it at 15fps at 4k native then it should run about 7.5fps native on a 3090. But dlss performance optimally should give you a boost of 4x by rendering at 1/4th the native resolution. So you might be able to just hit 4k/30 here.

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

Well if a 4090 runs it at 15fps at 4k native then it should run about 7.5fps native on a 3090. But dlss performance optimally should give you a boost of 4x by rendering at 1/4th the native resolution. So you might be able to just hit 4k/30 here.

I'll be playing on a 1440P screen, so I'll have some room to mess around with it...before I get a 5090.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

People play at 30fps?

Sometimes even below that! They're called Switch users and they are your neighbor, the teacher at school, and the priest in your local church. For just 75 cents a day, you can help prevent this, so please, act now! :sun:

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Sometimes even below that! They're called Switch users and they are your neighbor, the teacher at school, and the priest in your local church. For just 75 cents a day, you can help prevent this, so please, act now! :sun:

Yeah but imagine that beautiful 15 frames on an OLED! :o

• True 1

If my 4080 can run this at 4k60 (with DLSS3 frame gen performance), I'll be very happy.

Frame gen or not, I wouldn't have thought that path traced lighting was really feasible on as demanding a game as Cyberpunk anytime soon. Yeah, Portal RTX was fun, but there are usually something like two light sources in a room of very simplified geometry. Primarily path traced light in the dense world of Cyberpunk is incredible, even if the performance is out of most people's reach for the time being.

• Halal 1