Nvidia 4xxx Series - The Official Perennially Disappointing Hunt for More Power!

Mr.Vic20

2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Not gonna lie, the 13.99 black ajustable post listed as an alternative is looking pretty good to me for the next few weeks! :lol:

I like RGB :nottalking:

I mean, it’s better than this $70 POS from ASUS: ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder - Easily Adjustable, Aura Sync RGB Lighting, Aluminum Structure, Customizable Acrylic Plate, Universal GPU Support https://a.co/gwzbvzM 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

I think you're going to be largely disappointed with the, ahem, "gains" of going from a 10800k to a 13900k. The biggest benefit would be PCIE 4.0 (you're on 3.0, right?)

Oh yeah definitely wouldn’t upgrade to 13th gen yet, just was wondering if a big advancement could be coming I haven’t heard about that would give me a reason to move to pcie4.0 and ddr5!

Just now, stepee said:

Oh yeah definitely wouldn’t upgrade to 13th gen yet, just was wondering if a big advancement could be coming I haven’t heard about that would give me a reason to move to pcie4.0 and ddr5!

Oh, shyte! I forgot, you're still running on PCIe 3.0? That will under cut the 4090 a touch, at least in theory. 

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’d imagine that 14th gen will have PCIE 5.0 ports available beyond the m.2s

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Oh, shyte! I forgot, you're still running on PCIe 3.0? That will under cut the 4090 a touch, at least in theory. 

Yeah, though I do have resizeable bar at least supported, I actually haven’t seen much showing pcie3 bottleneck it too much yet, but it is something that will push me in the next year or two I’m sure.

Curious what Hitman 3 and Watch Dogs Legion are like for you!

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Yeah, though I do have resizeable bar at least supported, I actually haven’t seen much showing pcie3 bottleneck it too much yet, but it is something that will push me in the next year or two I’m sure.

I will benchmark both...someday. STUPID UPS! :celebrate:

• Hugs 1

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

I bench tomorrow :angry-fap:

• Halal 2

1 minute ago, Phaseknox said:

I agree, I don’t understand a word of it.

*goes back to playing PS4*

I just saw a video that is claiming the PS4 isn't going anywhere any time soon. As in Sony will continue to release games on it for at least another 3 years. When do you realistically think you'll get a PS5?

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

I just saw a video that is claiming the PS4 isn't going anywhere any time soon. As in Sony will continue to release games on it for at least another 3 years. When do you realistically think you'll get a PS5?

Im going to take a wild guess and say when GTA6 comes out..

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, best3444 said:

My current plan is to get a PS5 when Grand Theft Auto VI comes out, because I definitely want it on day one. Apparently Sony is making the PS5 with a detachable disc drive next year so that there will only be one non-disc drive PS5 available to buy, and you can buy a disc drive for it separately if you want one. Since I’ve had disc drive issues with consoles in the past and I currently am with my PS4, that’s definitely the PS5 that I want because if the disc drive stops working then I can just replace it with another one without having to replace the entire PS5 console. But there’s also a rumor that Sony is going to release a PS5 Pro in the future as well, and of course I will want that. I know that the detachable disc drive PS5 will be out before GTAVI, but I don’t know if the PS5 Pro will be.

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Now try Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for the ultimate test. Turn on DX12 + MSAA in 4K and see if you can crack 60FPS! 

Completely maxed out in DX12 4k 2xmsaa, about 80-100fps and I chose Prague in the rain while the enemy patrols near the end to test!

Brute force baby.

Now, 4x msaa broke it and knocked it down to 50fps, but that’s ridiculous at 4k! I think before you do that its cpu limited.

• Shocked 1
  • Halal 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Completely maxed out in DX12 4k 2xmsaa, about 80-100fps and I chose Prague in the rain while the enemy patrols near the end to test!

Brute force baby.

Now, 4x msaa broke it and knocked it down to 50fps, but that’s ridiculous at 4k! I think before you do that its cpu limited.

My god, it can run anything!! 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, silentbob said:

How does Control run with the new card? I’m still more console gaming and my 2080S is more then enough for now, but gawd the cards look impressive for the games. I wonder how that Matrix demo now runs on that thing 

Getting about 100-120fps maxed out at dlss quality. 

Also that’s one of the nice upgrades for me here, 3090 people were probably already using quality dls, but I was using performance dlss on most things still on a 3080.

• Halal 1

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/rtx-4090-53-games-ryzen-7-5800x-vs-core-i9-12900k/

4090 with 5800x vs 12900k

They really should’ve used a 5800x3D, 5900x or 5950x for AMD, tbh. Kind of a weird “Intel flagship vs upper-mid tier AMD CPU that most people shit on”.

Still, CPUs making a notable difference at 4k gaming is kinda crazy and shows how ridiculous the 4090 is compared to even the 3090. 

On 10/13/2022 at 2:20 PM, stepee said:

Man, that Last of Us  remake is going to be pretty crazy at 4k/120.

Edit: Oh right, Uncharted 4 at 4k/120 will be pretty crazy too and cdkeys has it for $35 preorder, ordered!

Yep Uncharted is running at 4k/120…didn’t turn dlss on yet :devil:

• Halal 1

I called up a sales rep at one of the B2B electronics shops I deal with for theater stuff and placed an order with him so I don't have to even think about it. He said they already have a confirmed shipment from two vendors for the first week of November. Made it sound like the retail channel should be much more consistently stocked than with the 30XXs. Now I just have too figure out if my 3090 will fit in my son's case or not.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I called up a sales rep at one of the B2B electronics shops I deal with for theater stuff and placed an order with him so I don't have to even think about it. He said they already have a confirmed shipment from two vendors for the first week of November. Made it sound like the retail channel should be much more consistently stocked than with the 30XXs. Now I just have too figure out if my 3090 will fit in my son's case or not.

MSI and Gigabyte 4090s were in stock at Best Buy this morning 

22 hours ago, stepee said:

Brute force baby.

I'm gonna guess you didn't run the actual benchmark? :p 

All benchmarks were done with max available settings (except for Deus Ex which was done in DX11 because the DX12 mode is stupid). If DLSS was available it was set to "quality". Vsync was, of course, off for all benchmarks.

Assassins Creed Odyssey:

Spoiler

Assassins-Creed-Odysee-3080-Ti.jpg
Assassins-Creed-Odysee-4090.jpg 

Cyberpunk 2077:

Spoiler

Cyberpunk-2077-3080-Ti.jpg
Cyberpunk-2077-4090.jpg 

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (4x MSAA, DX11):

Spoiler

Deus-Ex-Mankind-Divided-3080-Ti.jpg
Deus-Ex-Mankind-Divided-4090.jpg 

Forza Horizon 5 (I like how the recommended settings on my 3080 Ti are "extreme", but the 4090 suggests "low" :rofl:):

Spoiler

Forza-Horizon-5-3080-Ti.jpg
Forza-Horizon-5-4090.jpg 

Gears Tactics:

Spoiler

Gears-Tactics-3080-Ti.jpg
Gears-Tactics-4090.jpg 

Guardians of the Galaxy:

Spoiler

Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-3080-Ti.jpg
 Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-4090.jpg

Hitman 3 (Dartmoor + Dubai benchmarks):

Spoiler

Hitman-3-Dartmoor-3080-Ti.jpg
Hitman-3-Dubai-3080-Ti.jpg
Hitman-3-Dartmoor-4090.jpg 
Hitman-3-Dubai-4090.jpg

Shadow of the Tomb Raider:

Spoiler

Shadow-of-the-Tomb-Raider-3080-Ti.jpg
Shadow-of-the-Tomb-Raider-4090.jpg 

Watch Dogs: Legion:

Spoiler

Watch-Dogs-Legion-3080-Ti.jpg
 Watch-Dogs-Legion-4090.jpg

• Halal 1

Also, something I noticed with the 3080 and 3080 Ti was that there was sometimes a tiny bit of "frame hitching" or micro stutter, similar to what I remember SLI doing. It wasn't the video card being "bad" or anything as it was there on both my 3080 and 3080 Ti. However, it seems to be completely gone on the 4090 now.

33 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I'm gonna guess you didn't run the actual benchmark? :p 

I did not! But I think the main difference is I turned off 4x and used 2x msaa because that is just insane at 4k and just kinda silly!

I forgot to mention but yes Odyssey is indeed past 60fps now at 4k easily!

edit; yeah, you don’t seem to have the same bottleneck I’m getting with Hitman and Watch Dogs, Im hoping that isn’t just my cpu and is because i’m power limited on a 800w (or might even be 750w?)

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Also, something I noticed with the 3080 and 3080 Ti was that there was sometimes a tiny bit of "frame hitching" or micro stutter, similar to what I remember SLI doing. It wasn't the video card being "bad" or anything as it was there on both my 3080 and 3080 Ti. However, it seems to be completely gone on the 4090 now.

I did not notice the hitching on the 3090, but it did cause my screen to wrap and warp the imagine when reseting windows. So every time I need to reboot from windows I would have to either get up and shutdown the PC all the way and start it up again or reboot twice from, windows desktop to get a normal image. So that's a nice little improvement right there!