Do you truly believe that the world would be a better place if america deleted china.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Pancakes are the pizza of breakfast food.

Completely and utterly mediocre.

Pancakes are the pizza of breakfast food. Mass produced stuff is a poor imitation of lovingly hand made. That recipe above is super meh. I'll post a good one later.

10 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Ross Mathews Hello GIF by The Drew Barrymore Show

10 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

Measuring flour by the cup is perfectly fine for stuff like pancakes and waffles, it’s not something like croissant which requires precision.  

Jesus Christ y'alls pancakes must be dry as fuuuuuuuuuuck. Even if you're only dealing with a cup and a half you could easily wind up with a lot more flour.

Anyway as usual when it comes to making anything with flour the place to start is the Kind Arthur Flour website.

Ingredients

2 large eggs

1 1/4 cups (283g) milk*

3 tablespoons (43g) melted butter or vegetable oil

1 1/2 cups (180g) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour

3/4 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons baking powder

2 tablespoons (25g) granulated sugar or 1/4 cup (35g) malted milk powder

fresh or frozen blueberries, optional

*Use 1 cup milk if you're baking under hot, humid conditions, or if you're going to let the batter rest longer than 15 minutes. Use up to 1 1/4 cups milk in cold, dry conditions.

Instructions

Beat the eggs and milk until light and foamy, about 3 minutes at high speed of a stand or hand mixer. Stir in the butter or vegetable oil.

Whisk the dry ingredients together to evenly distribute the salt, baking powder and sweetener.

Gently and quickly mix into the egg and milk mixture. Let the batter rest for at least 15 minutes, while the griddle is heating; it'll thicken slightly.

Heat a heavy frying pan over medium heat, or set an electric griddle to 375°F. Lightly grease frying pan or griddle.

The pan or griddle is ready if a drop of water will skitter across the surface, evaporating immediately.

Drop 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto the lightly greased griddle. For blueberry pancakes, sprinkle the fresh or thawed frozen blueberries over the batter.

(Mixing frozen blueberries into the batter before scooping will turn it blue and streaky.)

Bake on one side until bubbles begin to form and break, about 2 minutes; then turn the pancakes and cook the other side until brown, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Turn over only once. Serve immediately.

Tips from our Bakers

To make waffles, substitute 2 tablespoons melted butter or vegetable oil for 2 tablespoons of the milk. Cook waffles as directed with your waffle iron. Hint - if you try to open the iron and it doesn't open easily, the waffle isn't done yet.

For a whole grain breakfast treat, replace 1/2 cup of the all-purpose flour with 1/2 cup of ground oats.

A grated apple mixed into the batter will keep the pancakes moist longer if you need to cook them ahead and bring them to the table all at once

This was the recipe I used the other day and it was amazing. I had some whole wheat flour I subbed 50/50 for the AP and it was fucking awesome. I made this recipe once using almond milk instead of regular milk and it still turned out incredible.

Weigh your flour.

Beat the eggs and milk together until foamy.

Let the batter rest for 15 minutes

Add toppings only after you've poured the batter onto the griddle

37 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Jesus Christ y'alls pancakes must be dry as fuuuuuuuuuuck. Even if you're only dealing with a cup and a half you could easily wind up with a lot more flour.

Dude, I’m not some mouth breathing pleb slapping together bisquick.  I’ve made pancakes more than any other food outside of scrambled eggs.  I’m also not using a hydraulic press to load my four into the cup.  I know by sight and feel what the proper texture for the batter is, if it’s too pasty I thin it out with more milk, if it’s too runny I add a little more flour.  

My point is if your flour is a smidge high or low you’re still getting pancakes unlike an angel food cake where if your flour is off you’re getting either a soufflé or an inedible brick.

12 hours ago, stepee said:

hating on pineapple on pizza is the “i like everything besides rap and country” of food opinions

I’ve attained a level of maturity in my life where I won’t judge someone for getting it, but it’s unequivocally terrible.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LazyPiranha said:

I know by sight and feel what the proper texture for the batter is, if it’s too pasty I thin it out with more milk, if it’s too runny I add a little more flour.  

Sounds like a lot more work than just weighing the flour but hey if you like adjusting so much more power to you.

59 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

You only end up with more flour if you use the measuring cup to scoop like a maniac. 

I think you might be surprised. I never need to oil my griddle (although it's nonstick). 

Especially since doing it the "right" way -- fluffing, pouring, sweeping -- takes longer than just weighing. It's easier and more accurate and more consistent. Really not sure why you'd even try to measure flour by volume.

2 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

I think you might be surprised. I never need to oil my griddle (although it's nonstick). 

Especially since doing it the "right" way -- fluffing, pouring, sweeping -- takes longer than just weighing. It's easier and more accurate and more consistent. Really not sure why you'd even try to measure flour by volume.

At least for me it’s because I get my daughter to do it. Spoon into measuring cup then level and sift. Good for learning proportions and improving dexterity/hand eye coordination 

by weight is far superior and when I bake cakes and more complex pastries I do it that way

• Halal 1