Girl defeats rival team, secret investigation begins to see if she's transgender after loser parents accuse champion

4 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Who better to address an issue than a disinterested external party?

Interested parties, for sure :p 

Just look at what you get (Manfred running MLB) when you go your route!

who is trying to fix sports anyway, it’s just you get an article about people being shitty like this one and then you get all these welllllll actuallllllly men are strong as fuck comments and it’s tiring and the whole thing just pushes this narrative that there is a problem, which then people take to mean there’s a problem with people being trans, when there wasn’t a problem, there is just a semantic argument that can go on forever and serves no purpose 

• True 1

25 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Interested parties, for sure :p 

Just look at what you get (Manfred running MLB) when you go your route!

I am not familiar enough with Manfred's tenure to make an informed assessment of his stewardship of the organization.

However, I doubt that will be significant enough to undermine my stated position vis-a-vis the value of disinterested external parties.

• Sicko 1

Just now, stepee said:

who is trying to fix sports anyway, it’s just you get an article about people being shitty like this one and then you get all these welllllll actuallllllly men are strong as fuck comments and it’s tiring and the whole thing just pushes this narrative that there is a problem, which then people take to mean there’s a problem with people being trans, when there wasn’t a problem, there is just a semantic argument that can go on forever and serves no purpose 

Competitive sports from secondary school on are almost 100% segregated by biological sex.

Some people think that should be ended so that trans athletes can compete with the sex that matches up better with their gender identity.

Others say we should just keep it the way it is because the differences between biological sexes on average makes that a useful classification for competitive sports, while the difference between genders does not.

And then a bunch of dorks who don’t like

sports try and offer solutions that prove how little they understand sports in the first place :p 

Just now, sblfilms said:

Competitive sports from secondary school on are almost 100% segregated by biological sex.

Some people think that should be ended so that trans athletes can compete with the sex that matches up better with their gender identity.

Others say we should just keep it the way it is because the differences between biological sexes on average makes that a useful classification for competitive sports, while the difference between genders does not.

sports try and offer solutions that prove how little they understand sports in the first place :p 

or just it doesn’t matter, there isn’t an actual problem to point at, slippery slope nonsense sucks, sports are boring, and the way this argument is weaponized against trans people is 1000x worse than anything happening to damage the integrity of pushing balls around courts

• Sicko 1

4 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

What is a legitimate basis to accuse another athlete of being transgender?

"My daughter's team lost and I'm pissed about it, and my idol Trump taught me that the only reason I can lose is if the other side cheated or something."

But really, the parents don't give a shit about the legitimacy of sports or anything, they are just awful people who hate transgenders and want to make their lives miserable.

• True 1
  • Halal 2

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

People who don’t like sports trying to fix something in sports is hilarious

The culture within most organized sports in America (and Canada) is so toxic that anyone outside that culture is almost certainly more qualified to propose solutions than someone inside it. Like, I wouldn't let someone from within the Smash Bros. community propose solutions on how to fix that culture, nor would I for kids-level baseball, college football, etc.

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The culture within most organized sports in America (and Canada) is so toxic that anyone outside that culture is almost certainly more qualified to propose solutions than someone inside it. Like, I wouldn't let someone from within the Smash Bros. community propose solutions on how to fix that culture, nor would I for kids-level baseball, college football, etc.

Culture is a separate issue from the question of what rules should we use

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Nothing about sports as far as competitiveness is broken at any level, especially not by trans athletes at the high school level. The only real competitive disadvantage that does exist is between poor schools and rich schools. My high school didn't have a pool and our swim team didn't do great compared to the local schools from more affluent neighborhoods that did. Shocker. The existence of a trans athlete on either side wasn't going to tip the scales in any direction. This is so far and away from being an actual problem that I didn't even think this was worth talking about until this thread blew up to multiple pages.

• Halal 1

44 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Nothing about sports as far as competitiveness is broken at any level, especially not by trans athletes at the high school level. The only real competitive disadvantage that does exist is between poor schools and rich schools. My high school didn't have a pool and our swim team didn't do great compared to the local schools from more affluent neighborhoods that did. Shocker. The existence of a trans athlete on either side wasn't going to tip the scales in any direction. This is so far and away from being an actual problem that I didn't even think this was worth talking about until this thread blew up to multiple pages.

You would fundamentally break the way competitive athletics works by disregarding biological sex as a classification. Feel free to explain how it doesn’t.

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Here's a story that supports @Kal-El814 and @SaysWho? argument

Since you don't watch videos it states that after transitioning to a man, and retiring in college, Schuyler was in the top 13% of men in the country.

They went from All-American against biological females, to top 13% against biological males in one event. 

I don’t think that is making the point you think it is ;) 

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The "culture" of an organization and the "rules" that govern an organization are so inextricably linked that it can be difficult to differentiate where one ends and the other begins.

Can you give an example of the rules of play in a sport that is hand in glove with the culture of that sport?

I think you would be better able to make this claim about “the unwritten rules” in any given sport. Those are 100% about them culture surrounding the sport.

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Can you give an example of the rules of play in a sport that is hand in glove with the culture of that sport?

I think you would be better able to make this claim about “the unwritten rules” in any given sport. Those are 100% about them culture surrounding the sport.

I really cannot think of such an example off the top of my head because there probably isn't any in the strictest sense of the word.

However, my personal  perspective is that a distinction between the "written" and "unwritten" rules of an organization is largely irrelevant as they are both manifestations of the overall culture of an entity.

A rule In a sport exists because it represents the type of play the sport wants to encourage or be viewed as legal.  Therefore, that is a manifestation of the "culture" surrounding the sport.

33 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

You would fundamentally break the way competitive athletics works by disregarding biological sex as a classification. Feel free to explain how it doesn’t.

Because it literally does not matter at the level of sports you're talking about. That's like complaining Denver high schools shouldn't have any sports teams because it's a competitive disadvantage to to visiting cities. It's like complaining wealthy towns shouldn't have sports teams because they can afford weight rooms while the next town over is sending their kids to the YMCA. Worrying about the <1% of the trans population is silly when there's the other actual 1% of the population that lives in the 99th percentile for height and they automatically take over any and all basketball teams anywhere in the country. Neither of these people have any control over who they are or what they were born with.

Again, however, none of this matters. We're talking about high school and college sports. What fundamental break is there when a boy wants to play field hockey and his high school only offers the sport for girls? This happened at my high school in the 90s and the state just gave him the thumbs up to play with the girls. Why? Because this is an extracurricular activity played for fun and, in the end, it does not matter.

I'm a huge sports fan. I pay for Defector, even. I can't stress enough how much none of this matters. Any parent butt hurt over their child losing should be barred from ever watching their kid play another game. Whiny sports parents are the worst and they shouldn't be trusted around other people's kids. I'd argue they shouldn't even be trusted around other people. Anybody that cares enough to put up a stink about this at the high school level really needs to reevaluate what's important here. Kids want to have fun in their teen years. Adults screaming about competitive disadvantage of children like the ones in the original story don't deserve the time of day and can fuck right off.

Like, hey. If we want to the playing ground to be completely even, let's be total communists. Every school across the country gets the exact same gym equipment and the exact same school budget. Anyone that's playing a sport gets the same meals and gets the same beds and we also magically fix whatever issues they have at home. We also go back in time and fix their childhoods so they would have had access to little league teams and better coaches.

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I really cannot think of such an example off the top of my head because there probably isn't any in the strictest sense of the word.

However, my personal  perspective is that a distinction between the "written" and "unwritten" rules of an organization is largely irrelevant as they are both manifestations of the overall culture of an entity.

A rule In a sport exists because it represents the type of play the sport wants to encourage or be viewed as legal.  Therefore, that is a manifestation of the "culture" surrounding the sport.

I don’t think you can think of one because there are no good examples of this! Part of why your assertion falls flat is that many games we play are an amalgamation of games from many different cultures over a long period of time. So rulesets themselves have congealed around certain competitive staples.

But what we do see a TON of variance in from one culture to the next are the unwritten rules of the same sports. 

4 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Because this is an extracurricular activity played for fun and, in the end, it does not matter.

If this is your point of view, than certainly it does not matter. But shocker, many people don’t hold your view that high school and college athletics don’t matter. Parents and kids spend an awfully large amount of their time dedicated to athletic pursuits, and there are significant financial implications around the performance of youth and college athletics. It being unimportant to you doesn’t make it unimportant.

The only reason there are a substantial number of women athletes at the high school and college level, and the financial awards that come with them, is the sex segregated classification. Far fewer would articulate if they had to compete directly with biological male athletes.

If you are only looking to have fun as @b_m_b_m_b_m pretends this is only about, there are non-competitive sports organizations of which there are many to choose from.