She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Trailer/Aug 18th Release)

34 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Eh.... say what you want about the CGI, but like... nothing about that episode was good. It was like fanfiction.

I'm not hopeful that this series will amount to anything, but we'll see. The first episode really didn't establish anything about anybody, it was literally just scene chewing for 30 minutes. Like, they took 30 minutes to tell me that Jen is a Hulk and she got powers from getting in a car crash with Bruce. I don't know anything about her personality. I don't know anything about anything. 75% of the episode was throwback lines and Hulk visual gags.

Guess the trailers really did their job on showcasing what the show is about then! :lol:

6 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Eh.... say what you want about the CGI, but like... nothing about that episode was good. It was like fanfiction.

I'm not hopeful that this series will amount to anything, but we'll see. The first episode really didn't establish anything about anybody, it was literally just scene chewing for 30 minutes. Like, they took 30 minutes to tell me that Jen is a Hulk and she got powers from getting in a car crash with Bruce. I don't know anything about her personality. I don't know anything about anything. 75% of the episode was throwback lines and Hulk visual gags.

definitely not off to the most promising start 

You all are crazy. That was a perfectly good intro episode. Other than minor details about how she gets Bruce blood in her, this seems to be a pretty faithful adaptation of the comic. What details about her are we missing or am I filling in too many details from the comics?

From the first episode, I'm guessing this might be a bit more of a court room procedural comedy with a lot of "I need to throw someone into orbit" every now and then. Is the issue that we weren't introduced to some big bad? I kind of doubt we're going to get that here. Isn't this series supposed to be a comedy? Titania was already introduced. She's a legit She Hulk rival. She also got like 30 seconds of screen time before being knocked out and arrested.

• Thanks 1

• silentbob changed the title to She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Trailer/Aug 18th Release)

I don’t fault the first episode for what it accomplished story wise, if anything it went further than I expected. My problem was that the humor just didn’t click with me most of the time. I’ll stick with it because I‘ll watch anything in the MCU, but I just didn’t get into it with episode one. Maybe once she’s telling her own story on her terms I’ll like it more.

I do think there’s some conflict between the tone of the show and having Hulk there. I think the lightheartedness of Ms Marvel was helped because, even though the show clearly took place in the MCU, it could stand by itself to a certain degree and be its own thing. Having an entire episode where the new character is making fun of a long established character’s multi-year/multi-film arc almost felt like a disservice. 

The credit scene got a good laugh out of me though.

Maybe it's because I have basically never read a comic in my life, but I can't get over the fact that I don't know who the hell this person is. Why is she a lawyer? What is her relationship to Bruce? What is... anything? 

Ms. Marvel did SO much character building in the first episode. She Hulk did not 

37 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Maybe it's because I have basically never read a comic in my life, but I can't get over the fact that I don't know who the hell this person is. Why is she a lawyer? What is her relationship to Bruce? What is... anything? 

Ms. Marvel did SO much character building in the first episode. She Hulk did not 

She is Bruce's cousin.

• Halal 1

8 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

What else is she to do with a law degree?

• Halal 1

Amusingly, Fizz's post makes me more interested because I am pretty well tired of the standard super hero origin story. Just get me caught up on who they are with a little exposition and I'm good to go.

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

@Greatoneshere answer pls

So many things! But the main one is being a failure in the eyes of everyone who knows you, even when you go back to get a graduate business degree. Do people think all those lawyers are intentionally staying in law cause they love it? :lol: :p 

Edit: my wife is on vacation from now until September 5th, so I can't watch this show until then. As an ex-attorney, I'm super interested in having fun with this. The fact Daredevil is back (his show was great), another attorney superhero, makes it better.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I do think it’s pretty funny how when most of these people get their powers, they stop having a normal job (if they ever had one), but now we’ve got two super lawyers. 

It's going to be a lot of fun when they're both sharing a scene later this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Amusingly, Fizz's post makes me more interested because I am pretty well tired of the standard super hero origin story. Just get me caught up on who they are with a little exposition and I'm good to go.

That's the thing - I know she's Bruce's cousin. As @SuperSpreader says, they mention it all the time. But that doesn't tell us anything, they just shove us into a road trip.

"Bruce Banner's cousin" is not a character trait.

Is she flawed? I don't know. Does she have dreams? Beyond wanting to be a lawyer, I don't know. Is she witty? Probably a bit, the writers aren't dumb.

There is literally no character building. The first episode relies entirely on playing off of Bruce's character, the rest of the episode is "Hulks chilling in Mexico" for 30 minutes. Nothing happens that gives you an insight into what is driving the story that couldn't be summarized in a 1-minute scene.

Judging only on the first episode, it's sort of the opposite world version of Falcon vs. Winter Soldier.

• Haha 1

I think one thing that might help explain the weirdness of the first episode is showrunner Jessica Gao said that the first episode was originally in the middle somewhere in terms of airing order, and Disney moved it up to the first episode. Hence no character building, etc.

Screen-Shot-2022-07-27-at-35246-PM.png
COLLIDER.COM

Gao tells fans that the pilot episode was originally much later in the series.

• Halal 1

On 8/18/2022 at 4:25 PM, Ghost_MH said:

Other than minor details about how she gets Bruce blood in her, this seems to be a pretty faithful adaptation of the comic.

And this was better than having to spend like a third or a half of the episode on her being in the hospital.

10 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I mean, she IS a lawyer.

futurama-single.gif

7 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think one thing that might help explain the weirdness of the first episode is showrunner Jessica Gao said that the first episode was originally in the middle somewhere in terms of airing order, and Disney moved it up to the first episode. Hence no character building, etc.

Screen-Shot-2022-07-27-at-35246-PM.png
COLLIDER.COM

Gao tells fans that the pilot episode was originally much later in the series.

Hopefully they didn't move the original first episode later than the second episode, but even with that it might still feel kind of weird to go from this to an episode where she isn't She-Hulk yet. Like how Farscape's I, E.T. feels really fucking weird in the original broadcast order because it was shot as the second episode but was then aired as the seventh.

• True 1

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

And this was better than having to spend like a third or a half of the episode on her being in the hospital.

single-female-lawyer-thumb-1200w.jpg

I actually agree. The only thing weird about it is that it just seems like so little blood to cause an entire transformation, but whatever. It's not big enough of a deal to break the in-universe logic.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Hopefully they didn't move the original first episode later than the second episode, but even with that it might still feel kind of weird to go from this to an episode where she isn't She-Hulk yet. Like how Farscape's I, E.T. feels really fucking weird in the original broadcast order because it was shot as the second episode but was then aired as the seventh.

My take away from the quote was that she originally just started as a Hulk and then got a flash back explaining how that happened later in the series. That is, you're first introduced to her as a person but they opted to start with the origin story for her powers instead.

11 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

The only thing weird about it is that it just seems like so little blood to cause an entire transformation, but whatever.

For the people who really care, there was the technobabble about their extremely similar genetics. Both explains why she was susceptible to so little of Bruce's blood and why it wouldn't have done anything to most people (or killed them maybe, given the line about massive dose of gamma radiation???) to accidentally get a few drops of his blood.