Update: RIP in Peace, Anthem

skillzdadirecta

In the darkest chapter of humanity’s history, one hero — General Helena Tarsis — rose up to bring us into the light. The brave soldiers who joined her became enshrined in history as the Legion of Dawn. From the seeds of their sacrifice bloomed an entire civilization.

Pre-order the Anthem Legion of Dawn Edition to receive the Legion of Dawn Armor Packs, the Light of the Legion Weapon, access to the VIP Demo, and more: http://x.ea.com/54314.

Unless the balance is absolutely busted, a "build" means a lot less in a shooter because in theory your ability to actually avoid damage and hit shit is a far bigger factor than whatever skills you picked. Taking the ability with the most DPS won't mean much when you're the dipshit firing it into a wall. Obviously it'll still play a factor, but shooters tend to be a nice middle-ground between MMOs and fighting games, where an MMO is hugely about builds, and a fighting game is dramatically more skill-based but all the characters play differently so finding the "broken" one is viable, whereas a shooter I expect the "character" choice to be pretty slim and the ability choices to not be terribly influential on actually affecting gameplay.

15 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Will they though? Since there's no PVP as of now, folks will probably play the way they want to without the pressures of competitive PVP.

See Division. There are PVP builds, but there are plenty of PVE builds to maximize DPS or ability usage so that you can solo high end activities or for team synergy. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

See Division. There are PVP builds, but there are plenty of PVE builds to maximize DPS or ability usage so that you can solo high end activities or for team synergy. 

I played a shit ton of the Division and most of the builds that were widely used were for PVP. There were some popular builds for PVE but there was definitely more diversity on builds when doing PVE stuff.

It also comes down to the amount of mobility. The Division is a realistic-ish cover shooter, so you're always grounded and moving slowly, thus aim isn't too huge of a factor unless you're that one streamer...

The higher the mobility (and the slower the projectiles, if that's a factor) the higher the skill ceiling and the less relevant builds are.

I do hope the game has a lot of slower projectile weapons, with some hitscan-ish stuff as an alternative for folks who don't like slower projectiles. Landing a slow ass rocket on some dude a hundred yards away is always a great feeling.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

I’m still holding out hope that there is enough story in this game to make me want to play it. 

I highly doubt there will be any compelling story just based on the premise of the game. There just isn't much to say about a forbidding primordial world in which your job is to shoot everything that moves.

11 hours ago, Brick said:

Maybe now that Activision and Bungie have parted ways there will be more matchmaking options in Destiny as well. 

why do you think activision would hold be bungie for something like that? 

that was a major turnoff in destiny for me and the sole reason why i quit D1

14 hours ago, Moa said:

I highly doubt there will be any compelling story just based on the premise of the game. There just isn't much to say about a forbidding primordial world in which your job is to shoot everything that moves.

The Mass Effect games were strong, largely based on the quality of their story-telling.  There combat was only "average" IMHO.

If they are giving up on the area that made their previous games special, I'm not holding out much hope for Anthem...

1 hour ago, mikechorney said:

The Mass Effect games were strong, largely based on the quality of their story-telling.  There combat was only "average" IMHO.

If they are giving up on the area that made their previous games special, I'm not holding out much hope for Anthem...

Dangling the “loot” carrot in front of the gamer is the story. 

4 hours ago, atom631 said:

why do you think activision would hold be bungie for something like that? 

that was a major turnoff in destiny for me and the sole reason why i quit D1

I have no idea, and it would be strange, but somehow I could see it. 

3 hours ago, mikechorney said:

The problem is that in these "ongoing" games nothing of consequence can really happen to the world. I have never felt truly engaged by the storytelling in any similar game and I think it would take major structural evolution for one of these games to even approach the lackluster story standards of a singleplayer AAA game.