Obi-Wan Kenobi (Disney+, May 27) - Official Trailer

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Is it offensive to nerd herders or just scruffy looking ones?

👇🏼

4 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Pointless fan service for the sake of “ah she said the thing!!!” I’d like to think Leia is more original than that. 

👆🏼

On 5/29/2022 at 6:50 PM, johnny said:

the prequels had some good ideas and heart. if george lucas had somebody who was a good writer working off of his ideas i think we could have gotten some really good movies. 

This. The basic story was actually interesting, but the writing and execution are absolutely terrible. The dialog sounds like a robot wrote it. 

15 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Really it’s going to depend on what makes it into canon. At least in Legends Vader was a very publicized figure for the Empire. On recruitment posters, and used in propaganda, and everything. He was a symbol of the empire’s power and strength. 

now it is possible they(Lucasfilm) decide Vader is none of that, and that outside of the Empire, very little is known of him. And if that’s the case it makes sense that Obi-wan may not have heard or seen anything of him, but people around him are familiar with the Inquisitors. 

there is also the possibility that Obi-wan had heard the name “Darth Vader” used, but assumed the name was being reused. And only in hearing that Vader has been looking for him did he start to realize it is not just a marketing gimmick by the Empire. 

He lives in a desert by himself, in a planet on the Rim, nowhere near where the Empire generally operates. That's why the planet was run by Hutts, instead of an imperial overseer. I would say it's very possible that he hasn't seen a piece of imperial propaganda since he brought Luke to tatooine. 

It doesn't make a lot of sense that they would meet. You can't really explain that away. That seems like a pretty big misstep to me.

Also did Vader seriously yell out "No!" when he force pushed Obi Wan? :lol:

Also Grand Inquisitor totes dead. Rebels canon revoked.

58 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:
  Hide contents

Them meeting makes as much sense as anything in Star Wars, which is not a lot. It’s fine.

Also given what we know is coming in the Ahsoka show, them de-canonizing Rebels seems… unlikely.

I don't know... This isn't Ewoks defeating the Empire, or noises in the vacuum of space. This one nibbles at a "sacred" part of Star Wars lore, and I think it goes a step too far. A bunch of people calling him "Obi Wan", whatever, didn't bother me much. But the stuff said during their final showdown seems like it shouldn't be touched. Just seems way too indulgent of the creators.

Rebels did a better job respecting the lore by only referring to Obi Wan as "Kenobi". Now it seems like they're even taking liberties with that storyline.

But everyone is free to enjoy it anyway if they want. I just think it shows a lack of creative discipline.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Toxic fandom strikes again...

These people missed the obvious message in the very show about the sith denigrating her for her "status" and the fans thought "Hey those sith have a point." Amazing.

2 hours ago, Reputator said:

Hide contents

It doesn't make a lot of sense that they would meet. You can't really explain that away. That seems like a pretty big misstep to me.

Also did Vader seriously yell out "No!" when he force pushed Obi Wan? :lol:

Also Grand Inquisitor totes dead. Rebels canon revoked.

Spoiler

there’s nothing that says that they HADNT met since episode 3, so i don’t think they need to explain away anything. 

and it was cool as shit. which follows the rule of cool. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Hide contents

I don't know... This isn't Ewoks defeating the Empire, or noises in the vacuum of space. This one nibbles at a "sacred" part of Star Wars lore, and I think it goes a step too far. A bunch of people calling him "Obi Wan", whatever, didn't bother me much. But the stuff said during their final showdown seems like it shouldn't be touched. Just seems way too indulgent of the creators.

Rebels did a better job respecting the lore by only referring to Obi Wan as "Kenobi". Now it seems like they're even taking liberties with that storyline.

But everyone is free to enjoy it anyway if they want. I just think it shows a lack of creative discipline.

No, it just doesn’t matter.

Spoiler

The chat between Obi-Wan and Vader in ANH hasn’t made any sense since we knew that Darth was a title and not Vader’s first name. It made even less sense as of RotS unless you’re willing to let Vader saying, “when I left you,” do an absolute ton of heavy lifting given how the two of them actually parted on Mustafar.

If anything, the show HELPS with some of these things. Obi-Wan leaving Luke on Tatooine with Anakin’s blood relatives makes more sense if he believes Anakin is dead. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

WTF???

Hide contents

okay so Vader blows out the fire....then the rebel reignites the fire....so why the **** doesn't he just blow it out again?

Perhaps you need to remember that in Clone Wars

Spoiler

Anakin is a mystical ninja or a complete chump in a way that is completely dependent upon whatever the scene happens to need.

Vader is likely the second most powerful Force user in the galaxy at this point, the notion that he couldn’t do a million different things to get around a relatively small fire is laughable, but… so it goes. And it always has.

• Haha 1

Spoiler

I think people need to relax a little, and wait until we've seen the whole show before we start jumping to conclusions about them breaking canon. Vader and Kenobi are definitely going to have a rematch, and the Grand Inquisitor is either not actually dead, or not the same Pau'an from Rebels. Would actually be pretty cool if they got Jason Isaacs to make a surprise appearance as the Rebels Grand Inquisitor. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

i read it like vader wanted to see him suffer more and decided to let him go. like ok obi wan i’ll let you go now, go be scared shitless and i’ll see you later to finish this. if he wanted to kill obi wan right there he could have. 

On 5/31/2022 at 12:47 PM, CitizenVectron said:

IMO (ignoring OT, which of course is on top):

1. TLJ VIII
  2. TFA VII
  3. TPM I
  4. ROTS III
  5. AOTC II
  6. TROS IX

HOWEVER, I'd say that while the ST is much more watchable than the PT simply due to all the factors @Greatoneshere mentioned above (even including how much of a turd TROS is), the PT is far more important to Star Wars due to the better lore it introduced. The PT has a good core of ideas but everything else about it was completely botched, from 95% of the acting, the directing, the writing, etc. The ST was pretty great on all those things (plot aside) but did pretty much nothing for the lore. 

So if I had to keep one trilogy in the lore and erase the other from existence, I would keep the PT and wipe the ST. That's unfortunate as I think TLJ is top-3 for Star Wars movies.

agree with all of this 1000%

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

No, it just doesn’t matter.

Hide contents

The chat between Obi-Wan and Vader in ANH hasn’t made any sense since we knew that Darth was a title and not Vader’s first name. It made even less sense as of RotS unless you’re willing to let Vader saying, “when I left you,” do an absolute ton of heavy lifting given how the two of them actually parted on Mustafar.

If anything, the show HELPS with some of these things. Obi-Wan leaving Luke on Tatooine with Anakin’s blood relatives makes more sense if he believes Anakin is dead. 

At least you could still make the argument he was an apprentice when they last saw each other. I could argue "Darth" was being said in a derogatory manner.

I should clarify that when it comes to Rebels, I actually personally don't care if they change some things retroactively. There's nothing I think is really "sacred" about that series, which I mean was excellent, but if they want to take liberties with it to make the Obi-Wan series better (a badass live-action showdown with Maul would be incredible), I'm all for it.

Those saying "Well maybe it's ANOTHER Pau'an Grand Inquisitor!" Come on, get real!

6 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Perhaps you need to remember that in Clone Wars

Reveal hidden contents

agreed but

Spoiler

they literally show him blowing out the fire 30 seconds before hand...just seemed stupid...as if he suddenly forgot he could do it...after all it's Anikan under the helmet not Joe Biden :p 

47 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

agreed but

Hide contents

they literally show him blowing out the fire 30 seconds before hand...just seemed stupid...as if he suddenly forgot he could do it...after all it's Anikan under the helmet not Joe Biden :p 

Spoiler

This is the same series where in RotJ the Emperor just doesn’t turn off Force lightning when Vader picks him up and he BBQs himself. There’s just no consistency with this stuff and there literally never has been  

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

Hide contents

At least you could still make the argument he was an apprentice when they last saw each other. I could argue "Darth" was being said in a derogatory manner.

I should clarify that when it comes to Rebels, I actually personally don't care if they change some things retroactively. There's nothing I think is really "sacred" about that series, which I mean was excellent, but if they want to take liberties with it to make the Obi-Wan series better (a badass live-action showdown with Maul would be incredible), I'm all for it.

Those saying "Well maybe it's ANOTHER Pau'an Grand Inquisitor!" Come on, get real!

Spoiler

Maul got sliced in half, ended up with a spider mech lower body, then got robot legs. Who knows if the GI will come back, but if he does it’ll be far from the most miraculous Star Wars injury recovery. To say nothing of… you know… Darth Vader :p

• True 1

Spoiler

Yeah I'm guessing the grand inquisitor comes back. They clearly deliberately chose to make the grand inquisitor at this point in time look exactly like the one in rebels, so I don't see them making that choice just to give the series the middle finger. It would have been trivial to just have a different grand inquisitor if you wanted to kill one off in this series.

Not sure why we're hiding spoiler stuff in an up to date thread on a show releasing weekly, so I won't be. 

1. Nothing about Obi-Wan and Vader meeting up here breaks canon, except peoples' head canon. Nothing in A New Hope nullifies what happened in episode 3 here, we just assume it breaks canon because we always assumed when Vader says things like: "a presence I haven't felt since . . . " or "when I left you I was but the learner" we all assume it's been a long time, likely since Mustafar, their fateful duel. But why does it have to be then?

It's been 10 years since Revenge of the Sith, and it will be another 9 years until A New Hope. If I hadn't met a rival in 9 years vs. 19 years, I'd still speak about it like it's been a long time. Is there some dialogue I'm forgetting in the original trilogy that proves Obi-Wan and Vader never met up or had involvement with each other in between? I would argue Vader even behaves like he knows Obi-Wan is alive in A New Hope, and he's finally shown up again, rather than having assumed he was dead all that time. He just didn't know where he was.

2. The fire thing: yes, dumb, but also, there's a scene that holds on Vader's helmet after Obi-Wan escapes and he looks on for a long time like he's thinking about something. One could argue Vader let Obi-Wan escape at that point - look how Obi-Wan behaved - running away from Vader, could barely fight him, etc. Vader probably found him pathetic, and "let's him go" to continue to be found again and suffer. 

3. Am I wrong in thinking that Reva knowing Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker and screaming it all over the place breaks canon? I thought only Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Palpatine knew Vader's true identity (and I guess Ahsoka). I mean, Reva saw Order 66 at the Jedi Temple, probably knew of Anakin Skywalker there before ROTS, but I dunno, that seemed weird to me vs. people calling Kenobi Obi-Wan over Ben. 

4. I would argue Leia contacting Obi-Wan in A New Hope makes more sense now than before given she has this personal adventure with him (she also knows he's on Tatooine in A New Hope) so knowing him a bit more personally makes sense.

Really enjoyed the episode overall, can't wait for me. Nice to see Hayden in the suit, with James Earl Jones back as the voice.

• Halal 2

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Not sure why we're hiding spoiler stuff in an up to date thread on a show releasing weekly, so I won't be. 

1. Nothing about Obi-Wan and Vader meeting up here breaks canon, except peoples' head canon. Nothing in A New Hope nullifies what happened in episode 3 here, we just assume it breaks canon because we always assumed when Vader says things like: "a presence I haven't felt since . . . " or "when I left you I was but the learner" we all assume it's been a long time, likely since Mustafar, their fateful duel. But why does it have to be then?

It's been 10 years since Revenge of the Sith, and it will be another 9 years until A New Hope. If I hadn't met a rival in 9 years vs. 19 years, I'd still speak about it like it's been a long time. Is there some dialogue I'm forgetting in the original trilogy that proves Obi-Wan and Vader never met up or had involvement with each other in between? I would argue Vader even behaves like he knows Obi-Wan is alive in A New Hope, and he's finally shown up again, rather than having assumed he was dead all that time. He just didn't know where he was.

2. The fire thing: yes, dumb, but also, there's a scene that holds on Vader's helmet after Obi-Wan escapes and he looks on for a long time like he's thinking about something. One could argue Vader let Obi-Wan escape at that point - look how Obi-Wan behaved - running away from Vader, could barely fight him, etc. Vader probably found him pathetic, and "let's him go" to continue to be found again and suffer. 

3. Am I wrong in thinking that Reva knowing Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker and screaming it all over the place breaks canon? I thought only Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Palpatine knew Vader's true identity (and I guess Ahsoka). I mean, Reva saw Order 66 at the Jedi Temple, probably knew of Anakin Skywalker there before ROTS, but I dunno, that seemed weird to me vs. people calling Kenobi Obi-Wan over Ben. 

4. I would argue Leia contacting Obi-Wan in A New Hope makes more sense now than before given she has this personal adventure with him (she also knows he's on Tatooine in A New Hope) so knowing him a bit more personally makes sense.

Really enjoyed the episode overall, can't wait for me. Nice to see Hayden in the suit, with James Earl Jones back as the voice.

Spoiler Alert Spoilers GIF by Still The King

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

1. Agreed. It’s not like Anakin / Vader is above shit talking and truth stretching anyway… he’s a Sith Lord. Again the specifics here have been fuzzy for ages anyway and nothing breaks canon unless we’re going to be pedantic to the point that not much is really going to hold up.

2. The use of the Force and how its users behave in combat / conflict varies so wildly that it just doesn’t matter. The rules barely exist in a cohesive way and they never have. I’ve said it a billion times, but if the OT started in 2007 and not 1977, the internet would have lost its fucking shit and ripped Lucas apart for making stuff up on the fly when Sheev cast lightning for the first time. Aside from that it’s clear that Vader is playing with his food during the whole conflict.

3. This and the Grand Inquisitor’s status are the weirdest things about the show to me ATM. I don’t think Reva mentioned the Anakin / Vader connection to anyone other than Obi-Wan, right? So my assumption is still that she was a Padawan during the purge at the temple, saw Anakin merc the Younglings, knew Obi-Wan was Anakin’s Master, and resents him for it. I assume Vader doesn’t know that she knows but I could be forgetting lines already.

4. Yeah agreed.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

“When I left you I was but the learner. Now I am the master.”

What are we assuming here? There's nothing to read into here, it's pretty blatant. I don't see how you can argue Vader isn't already a "master" in the scene where he's facing Obi-Wan here, and he's definitely not a learner. Again, what are we all assuming?

53 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

1. Agreed. It’s not like Anakin / Vader is above shit talking and truth stretching anyway… he’s a Sith Lord. Again the specifics here have been fuzzy for ages anyway and nothing breaks canon unless we’re going to be pedantic to the point that not much is really going to hold up.

2. The use of the Force and how its users behave in combat / conflict varies so wildly that it just doesn’t matter. The rules barely exist in a cohesive way and they never have. I’ve said it a billion times, but if the OT started in 2007 and not 1977, the internet would have lost its fucking shit and ripped Lucas apart for making stuff up on the fly when Sheev cast lightning for the first time. Aside from that it’s clear that Vader is playing with his food during the whole conflict.

3. This and the Grand Inquisitor’s status are the weirdest things about the show to me ATM. I don’t think Reva mentioned the Anakin / Vader connection to anyone other than Obi-Wan, right? So my assumption is still that she was a Padawan during the purge at the temple, saw Anakin merc the Younglings, knew Obi-Wan was Anakin’s Master, and resents him for it. I assume Vader doesn’t know that she knows but I could be forgetting lines already.

4. Yeah agreed.

I agree that force combat is convenient for sure, but things can still strain credulity in fiction even with uneven rules/lore/mythology (in general). I didn't think this incident did per se, but I could see how some did think so. Again, like you said, I also think he's playing with his food, as it were. And yeah I don't think Reva has mentioned Anakin is Vader to anyone other than Obi-Wan, I think at least lol.

36 minutes ago, Reputator said:

What are we assuming here? There's nothing to read into here, it's pretty blatant. I don't see how you can argue Vader isn't already a "master" in the scene where he's facing Obi-Wan here, and he's definitely not a learner. Again, what are we all assuming?

I think that's being pretty pedantic. The phrase could be interpreted a number of ways. Just because Vader beats Obi-Wan here doesn't mean Vader thinks he's the master yet in his own mind. Remember, Vader feels (in his own mind) beta'd by Obi-Wan all the time, when that's not what Obi-Wan is doing. So being better than Obi-Wan is pretty built up in his head, I imagine he's not going to make that statement right away, he wants to know for sure, just as a different way to interpret the same line.

40 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Anakin didn’t “leave” Obi-Wan in any way that matters unless you’re being charitable that Obi-Wan shredding his three remaining organic limbs and walking away while Anakin was on fire him counts as him leaving. It’s already Sith head canon and shit talking. It also doesn’t jive with Vader being the “master” in the broader canon. Vader clearly takes orders from and is second in command to Tarkin, and there’s no hint that the Emperor is also Force sensitive. Sith hierarchy would have Vader begin Sidious’s apprentice. “Always two there are, a master, and an apprentice,” and all that.

So again, there’s no reason to take this so literally.

Also: 

• Like 1