Abermore (29 March 2022) - a first-person stealth RPG heavily inspired by the "Thief" series

Commissar SFLUFAN

4yoDi4sMwSD3UeF69nubon-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Abermore is a medieval fantasy heist game about busting into the Royal Castle and stripping it bare.

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1644854239
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Inherit the role of a mythical thief and pull off the heist of the century in Abermore, a first-person RPG where stealth is your key to fame and fortune. You have 18 days to ransack houses, sell stolen loot, acquire new gear and form alliances to prepare for the ultimate heist.

• 1 month later...

Seems to be a bit of a mess at release so I suggest holding off for a few more patches - @Firewithin @Mr.Vic20 @thewhyteboar

abermore-review-2.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Abermore is a stealth RPG that oozes potential, but a bevy of game-breaking bugs renders it virtually inaccessible.

That’s how it’s been ever since. One step forward, two steps back. Sometimes I’ll make it through a whole day, but even those days aren’t good. One time, I got frustrated, accepted a little wetwork. Searched the whole place, top to bottom, and didn’t find a single person who matched the description of the target. Ended up going on a spree, wiping out half the folks in the place in the hope of getting the right guy before I ran out of ways to kill people. Turns out the crossbow bolt recipe I’d bought was a dud and I couldn’t build any more ammo. Still haven’t figured that out. Another time I’d done a perfect heist, a clean sweep, like a ninja ghost’s fart. On the way out, I fell through the floor, got trapped in a grey limbo.

The real heartbreaker is that I want to like the city of Abermore. It has so much potential. There’s real love in those streets, and so many toys to play with on a job. They have a secret bug cult! I gotta know what’s going on there. But right now, it's too rough and ready to recommend playing. It wants to riff on the same 'go with the flow' style of heist and sneaking as Arkane's Deathloop, but feels about as rickety as one of McDuckitt's ghost-knight automatons. I've been told the devs are currently working on a patch to fix up some of these game-breaking bugs, but at time of writing it's not going to be ready for launch. As it is, Abermore is a dame that I want to love, but she’s got nothing but contempt in her heart for me.

9a8777f3-abermore-featured.jpg
WWW.GAMEBYTE.COM

Abermore from Four Circle Interactive is "Dishonored Meets Thief". But it also comes with its fair share of frustrations.

The biggest disappointment about Abermore is it’s just a really buggy game. Throughout my playthrough, I experienced regular crashes that would impede all progress. There doesn’t seem to be a save system, with autosave only happening at the end of each night, so a crash right at the end of the level would erase 20-30 minutes of progress.

Likewise, there were some parts of missions that simply wouldn’t load for me – or loaded incorrectly. I’d be creeping down a long corridor only to find a blank void at the end in place of where another room should be. NPCs would also occasionally glitch out, spotting me through walls and floors or somehow being alerted by nothing. I started one mission where a character was already alerted and went to set off the alarm before I even had time to react.

What else I find weird about this game is it had key rebinding at first, but the Day 1 patch seems to have removed that setting and reset all my keys. I found the default keys to be a little disruptive to what my comfortable setup is, so it’s a strange decision to have removed a very crucial setting the day before launch.

Abermore is a fantastic idea with lots of potential. I love the writing, the comedy that comes through in gameplay, and the whole vibe as a modern Thief. But just like the classic games that inspire it, Abermore comes with its fair share of jank and bugs. Right now that makes it a frustrating experience.

• Thanks 1