Gotham Knights (WB Montreal, 21 October 2022) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

skillzdadirecta

Just now, Mr.Vic20 said:

Halo yes, Starfield, hmmmm just not sure. 

I think if they can possibly get it out this year it would be a huge opportunity.  Like you have already said - next year is going to be crammed full of almost two years worth of delayed games.  2022 games are going to have a hard time carving out a space.  If they can get Starfield in 21 it will make a bigger splash.  Just make sure it is done and don't pull a cyberpunk.

• Like 1

Just now, number305 said:

I think if they can possibly get it out this year it would be a huge opportunity.  Like you have already said - next year is going to be crammed full of almost two years worth of delayed games.  2022 games are going to have a hard time carving out a space.  If they can get Starfield in 21 it will make a bigger splash.  Just make sure it is done and don't pull a cyberpunk.

I agree that it would be strategically smart for Bethesda/MS to launch Starfield this year, but Bethesda hates rushing games. That and it being a new IP, I'm sure they want a big, successful release. The shadow of Cyberpunk is probably looming large in their mind as well. 

• 6 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Gotham Knights (WB Montreal, 2022) - Information Thread, update: Steam Store page has gone live
1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Steam Store page just went live:

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1634314303
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Batman is dead. A new expansive, criminal underworld has swept the streets of Gotham City. It is now up to the Batman Family; Batgirl, Nightwing, Red Hood, and Robin; to protect Gotham.

Nice, just added to my wish list. Don't care if it's Arkham continuity as long as it's the same kind of game, they're fun and still play well if you can only do a couple of hours at a time.

Just now, Jason said:

Nice, just added to my wish list. Don't care if it's Arkham continuity as long as it's the same kind of game, they're fun and still play well if you can only do a couple of hours at a time.

This one isn't set in the Arkham continuity.  The Suicide Squad game is the one set in the Arkham continuity.

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This one isn't set in the Arkham continuity.  The Suicide Squad game is the one set in the Arkham continuity.

Right I know I read the thread. :p Just saying the gameplay style matters way more to me than the continuity here.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Gotham Knights (WB Montreal, 2022) - Information Thread, update: "Official Court of Owls Story" and "Court of Owls: Behind The Scenes" trailers
7 hours ago, Brick said:

Not sure why this isn't a continuation of the Arkham games when Bruce is dead. Although I'm sure by the end of the game Bruce will be revealed to be alive and then you get Batman as the fifth playable character. 

No idea why this isn't in the Arkham Continuity. Most people who care about this stuff will think it is anyway.

9 hours ago, Brick said:

Not sure why this isn't a continuation of the Arkham games when Bruce is dead. Although I'm sure by the end of the game Bruce will be revealed to be alive and then you get Batman as the fifth playable character. 

Bruce will 100% be a member of the Court of Owls somehow, through mind control or amnesia or something. Probably the final boss, too. No way Bruce/Batman isn't in this game. 

• 4 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Gotham Knights (WB Montreal, 25 October 2022) - Information Thread, update: 25 October 2022 release announced
1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

I WANT to like this concept its just that ... IDK, something about it doesn't quite "FEEL" right, you know?

I have the same sort of feeling when I watch the trailers for the game. Willing to give it a try and I’ll keep my fingers crossed that it goes directly to gamepass (or quickly afterwards)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Gotham Knights (WB Montreal, 25 October 2022) - Information Thread, update: new update tomorrow at 1800 Pacific, PS Store listing suggests co-op upgraded to 4 players
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Gotham Knights (WB Montreal, 25 October 2022) - Information Thread, update: mission update on May 10 @ 0600 Pacific/0900 Eastern, PS Store listing suggests co-op upgraded to 4 players
1 hour ago, thedarkstark said:

I'd love to be wrong but this game is going to suck.

Why do you think that it’s going to suck? Everything that I’ve seen of it so far looks kick-ass IMO.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

So is this designed as a four player gaas thing or is it something you can play single player and pretend it’s a new Arkham game?

It can be played offline single player, or co-op. It’s not a GaaS game.

• True 1

1 hour ago, Phaseknox said:

Why do you think that it’s going to suck? Everything that I’ve seen of it so far looks kick-ass IMO.

It can be played offline single player, or co-op. It’s not a GaaS game.

It's pretty, it's got a big budget, cinematics look great but the gameplay looks incredibly boring and they've seemingly removed part of what made the arkham games fun which is the stealth detective aspect and gadgets and focused on the parts of those games that wasnt fun which was the generic button masher combat

1 hour ago, thedarkstark said:

It's pretty, it's got a big budget, cinematics look great but the gameplay looks incredibly boring and they've seemingly removed part of what made the arkham games fun which is the stealth detective aspect and gadgets and focused on the parts of those games that wasnt fun which was the generic button masher combat

My favorite Batman Arkham game is Arkham City playing as Catwoman, I was disappointed by how limited her gameplay moments were in the game. I realize that it’s a Batman game, but I preferred playing as her. I like fast acrobatic and athletic female characters more than bulky male tank characters in games. Catwoman’s combat was better than Batman’s IMO. I wanted a dedicated Catwoman game, but instead we got two more same-y Batman Arkham games (Arkham Origins and Arkham Knight) neither of which I liked very much because they felt like just more Arkham City but not as good.

For me Gotham Knights is going to be a Batgirl game, I’m going to play it as her single player. And I consider it more of an open world beat ‘em up than a detective stealth game which I prefer because the detective and stealth parts of the Batman Arkham games aren’t my favorite aspects of them. I prefer the traversal and combat of them myself. That’s where our opinions of the games differ, so I can understand why Gotham Knights doesn’t look as appealing to you as it does to me.

I didn't think the combat on the Arkham games was button mashing. I got a decent amount of playtime out of those post game challenges where you could play as other characters like Nightwing and Robin and tried to get as high a combo score without getting hit or disrupting your combo. Combat in those games was more about timing and rhythim and knowing when to use certain attacks and counters. I thought the combat in those games was great. Mordor and that Mad Max game had similar combat sytems.

• True 1

40 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I didn't think the combat on the Arkham games was button mashing. I got a decent amount of playtime out of those post game challenges where you could play as other characters like Nightwing and Robin and tried to get as high a combo score without getting hit or disrupting your combo. Combat in those games was more about timing and rhythim and knowing when to use certain attacks and counters. I thought the combat in those games was great. Mordor and that Mad Max game had similar combat sytems.

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx1TAfazLOcQSLD6ykYYXx_O7978KxHmOM

More shallow than the kiddy pool.

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Sure you COULD play it like that... or you could play it like this guy

Up to you I guess :shrug:

It's still just 2 buttons: attack button, counter button. You mash attack until the counter prompt lights up then you press counter then go back to mashing attack.

I really liked the arkham games but combat is easily the weakest aspect imho.