Visual Effects

Dune
Free Guy
No Time To Die
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Spider-Man: No Way Home

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Power of the Dog was really good. I love Jesse Plemons so I'm happy for him.

Yeah, Plemons is in the "always good" category. He was left out of a lot of other lists that the other performances in that movie made, so it's nice to see him get in there. But my pick in that category is Troy Kotsur. He is a goddamn delight in CODA. 

4 minutes ago, 69los said:

You're right I don't care but Don't Look Up being nominated annoys me. I guess it fit the Crash-mold of bait.

Don't know what it is about this movie but every time I've seen anything involving it, I'm instantly turned off. I don't even know what the hell it's about. 

13 minutes ago, 69los said:

You're right I don't care but Don't Look Up being nominated annoys me. I guess it fit the Crash-mold of bait.

I feel like Don't Look Up is the one populist picks for the year. It doesn't have a chance but they wanted to nominate at least one movie that everyone has seen.

• True 1

I've seen six of the ten best picture nominees. I'll try to catch up over the next few weeks but I really have no interest in King Richard.

Don't Look Up: 6/10

Nightmare Alley: 6/10

Dune: 8/10

Licorice Pizza: 10/10

West Side Story: 10/10

The Power of the Dog: 10/10

Power of the Dog seems like such a front-runner at this point, it would almost be a boring win (for a great movie). There’s a possibility of Don’t Look Up taking it in a Green Book-like upset. The only other nominee that seems remotely likely is Belfast, a fine movie that’s traditional Oscar Bait. 

I was disappointed that Villeneuve didn't get a directing nod. I really loved Dune, but it's not the kind of movie that wins best Picture. Might have had a better shot at director though.

11 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Power of the Dog seems like such a front-runner at this point, it would almost be a boring win (for a great movie). There’s a possibility of Don’t Look Up taking it in a Green Book-like upset. The only other nominee that seems remotely likely is Belfast, a fine movie that’s traditional Oscar Bait. 

I don't think Power of the Dog is nearly as much of a front runner as we've had in past years. I think GoldDerby agrees with that.

I still need to catch up on a few of the Best Pic noms (Drive my Car, West Side, Licorice Pizza), but I think as long as Don't Look Up doesn't win, I can be happy.

I'm honestly confused as to how Don't Look Up became an "awards movie" at all. I'm guessing it's because "it has an important message" or something like that, but so very few comedies get nominated for awards, it's rather bizarre that it's this one that makes it through.

19 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I'm honestly confused as to how Don't Look Up became an "awards movie" at all. I'm guessing it's because "it has an important message" or something like that, but so very few comedies get nominated for awards, it's rather bizarre that it's this one that makes it through.

Well, it’s barely a comedy, so maybe that helps?:p

It does have that “Important!” label, and it seems like Adam McKay has become one of those guys that will just keep getting nominated as long as he’s making movies like this (star-studded issues-based dramedies).

22 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It always baffles me that there is ever a divergence between the nominees for Best Picture and Best Director.

Especially when cinematography also follows most best directors too. Dune is up for that but for directing. I hope they aren’t pulling a LOTR and waiting for DV to finish his COMPLETE film vision of Dune itself. The man deserves his Scorsese win sooner then, well, Scorsese.

I will also admit I have seen non of the nominations. Either theatres were close or I was not comfortable attending a show. Plus I have been without a home theatre receiver for like 6 months now, and I like watching my movies with big sound on my projector. Yeah a little snobbish but headphones/tv speakers just don’t really cut it for me anymore. Hopefully I’ll get receiver very soon and I can binge some movies then. Got my 4K/3D copy of Dune raring to go. Plus nothing at all for Godzilla Vs Kong for sound or vfx  

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It always baffles me that there is ever a divergence between the nominees for Best Picture and Best Director.

Probably because while some films truly are the vision of their directors, some aren't. Big studio pictures that are produced by powerful producers are almost always more collaborative and sometimes the film we ended up seeing in the theater has little to do with what the director himself made or would have made. the Academy members know that. It's why the Producers usually get the best picture awards at the end of the night. That's the only reason I can think of.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Probably because while some films truly are the vision of their directors, some aren't. Big studio pictures that are produced by powerful producers are almost always more collaborative and sometimes the film we ended up seeing in the theater has little to do with what the director himself made or would have made. the Academy members know that. It's why the Producers usually get the best picture awards at the end of the night. That's the only reason I can think of.

That does sound like a reasonable explanation.

I'm still left the notion that the director of a film is akin to the conductor of an orchestra - the individual who ensures that the disparate parts coalesce to form a cohesive whole.  Without such a basis, there would not be very much quality material for the others involved in the collaborative endeavor to work with in any event.  With that in mind, I just simply can't see how any film nominated for Best Picture -- regardless of the extent of the collaboration involved in delivering the final output -- can get there without inherently having a "Best Director" nominee at the helm.

29 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That does sound like a reasonable explanation.

I'm still left the notion that the director of a film is akin to the conductor of an orchestra - the individual who ensures that the disparate parts coalesce to form a cohesive whole.  Without such a basis, there would not be very much quality material for the others involved in the collaborative endeavor to work with in any event.  With that in mind, I just simply can't see how any film nominated for Best Picture -- regardless of the extent of the collaboration involved in delivering the final output -- can get there without having a "Best Director" nominee at the helm.

it really depends on the director. Someone like Jame Cameron is involved with every aspect of the filmmaking process and can probably do every department head's job as well as them or better and is more than likely producing his projects is well is going to be more involved than some for hire director who is probably proficient on one or two aspects of the process but leans on their producer a lot more than a more experienced guy.

So many films are saved in the edit without a director being involved that it's not inconceivable that some films are good in spite of their directors and not because of them. It really depends.

• True 1

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Six? (counts on fingers) Fuck me. I've heard nothing but good things abiut this and loved the original when I was a kid. Want to see this.

It’s truly wild that the movie is as good as it is. Even screenwriter Tony Kushner thought it was a crazy idea at first. Truly a case of a master filmmaker calling his shot ahead of time.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Would Macbeth qualify for this year's Awards? Didn't it just come out on 2022?

yes the oscars window was extended this year just like last year 

macbeth looks amazing visually and the acting is great but most people will find it borrrrrrrrring