public education is another institution at the brink of complete failure

ljohnson-teachers-strength_wide-8b7d6676
WWW.NPR.ORG

A new poll from the nation's largest teachers union finds burnout is widespread, and more educators say they're thinking about leaving.

Of course, saying that you're thinking about leaving, or reporting the perception that others are leaving, is not the same as actually putting in your notice. Still, the Bureau of Labor Statistics says there are 567,000 fewer educators in America's public schools today than there were before the pandemic. And the NEA's analysis of BLS data indicates that 43% of jobs posted are going unfilled.

When it comes to solutions, the NEA says money is uppermost in its members' minds. They support raising salaries and hiring more people. Pringle says the union has been amplifying the Biden administration's message that American Rescue Plan money — $122 billion in federal aid to K-12 schools — can and should be used to improve pay and create new positions.

"We were asked to assist [U.S. Education Secretary Miguel Cardona] to really push on this part of the use of those funds," Pringle says, "because some school districts were a little leery about using them to hire staff."

One big reason for that, she explained, is that the extra money is set to sunset within three years, whereas hiring someone or giving them a raise is an indefinite financial commitment.

Yet even if the funding is temporary, Pringle argues, it's needed right now.

My wife is a teacher of ten years and from the way she tells me this may be her last as it is for so many of her colleagues at her small high school and at my daughters elementary school from what I see. My dad is also a teacher and will be retiring at the end of the year. The Biden admin public student loan forgiveness revamp may keep a few around but it’s not sustainable for keeping teachers. 

and apropos of nothing, my wife took 6 weeks of unpaid maternity leave (had enough sick days banked over the past 4 years to get 6 weeks partially paid) and her W-2 shows that she made 37k last year. 

• Sad 2

I probably wont be able to buy a home by myself until my 40s (if ever) with housing prices and teacher salary. My salary can get up to a good number by taking additional classes but I can't get up to a "good" salary until i've worked enough years. So i'm kind of waiting lol. i need to get married just for the extra income lmao

• Sad 5

4 minutes ago, johnny said:

I probably wont be able to buy a home by myself until my 40s (if ever) with housing prices and teacher salary. My salary can get up to a good number by taking additional classes but I can't get up to a "good" salary until i've worked enough years. So i'm kind of waiting lol. i need to get married just for the extra income lmao

So much comes back to our housing policies. There’s two types of teachers who can own homes from what I’ve seen: those who are older (usually on a pay schedule that has been phased out, and a home purchased a long while ago, or at least pre 2018) or have family help (family giving money for down payment or a spouse who makes significantly more money)

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

So much comes back to our housing policies. There’s two types of teachers who can own homes from what I’ve seen: those who are older (usually on a pay schedule that has been phased out, and a home purchased a long while ago, or at least pre 2018) or have family help (family giving money for down payment or a spouse who makes significantly more money)

god if my mom helped me buy a house. like a small one, doesnt need to be that nice. it would be such a huge relief. 

28 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

and apropos of nothing, my wife took 6 weeks of unpaid maternity leave (had enough sick days banked over the past 4 years to get 6 weeks partially paid) and her W-2 shows that she made 37k last year. 

I just looked at our ISD’s teacher pay and 0 years of experience with a bachelor’s is $59,500. And this district isn’t particularly wealthy.

SCHOOLS.TEXASTRIBUNE.ORG

Texas Public Schools: Use our database to learn more about the state’s 1,200 districts and 8,700 public schools, including hundreds of charter schools and alternative campuses. You can easily...

14 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Depends on the region. The only currently working teachers I know are both couples where both teach, but they are all in decent paying districts so their household gross income is over $130k, in a region where you can still buy a house in a desirable area for under $250k.

44 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Or, you could have the incredibly cool but also shitty-that-it's-necessary policy that my wife's best friend used in her city to buy a house. The city basically buys condemned properties, remodels them, sells them at a very cheap cost to public workers that work for the city or school district. She's a teacher so she was able to purchase the house for $150,000 in a market where comps were going for more than double. This was like 6 years ago now.

37 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

gee why would teachers be giving up on this shit...i wonder....oh because of shit like this

Rob-Standridge.png
WWW.LGBTQNATION.COM

The bill would allow parents to sue teachers for $10,000 "per incident, per individual …

How in the fuck is that legal. How can they say the fine must be paid by the teacher only lol

shit hole country

43 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Or, you could have the incredibly cool but also shitty-that-it's-necessary policy that my wife's best friend used in her city to buy a house. The city basically buys condemned properties, remodels them, sells them at a very cheap cost to public workers that work for the city or school district. She's a teacher so she was able to purchase the house for $150,000 in a market where comps were going for more than double. This was like 6 years ago now.

I mean most of these programs are stopgap at best 

34 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

gee why would teachers be giving up on this shit...i wonder....oh because of shit like this

Rob-Standridge.png
WWW.LGBTQNATION.COM

The bill would allow parents to sue teachers for $10,000 "per incident, per individual …

Shit like this, and the VA “divisive topic hint line” that was just set up, show that money is a big issue but it’s not everything by any means. There’s a partisan witch hunt going on against teachers who want to be honest about race or biology or history whatever. 

I have a friend that has taught in a not good part of the city here for almost 15 years, he is just about ready to call it quits.

They just had a mini-riot today with suspended students AND their parents trying to get into to school to fight students, no arrests made. I don't blame him one bit for being fed up, what is even the point if the district/city won't attempt to protect you.

38 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

How in the fuck is that legal. How can they say the fine must be paid by the teacher only lol

shit hole country

It isn’t. You would be blown away by the laws that get brought up by these random state house reps. Some of these seats are won in elections with literally 10,000 votes cast.

The vast majority of them never even make it to their respective committees.

4 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I feel like if you're a teacher outside the NE you've probably made the wrong career move.

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnpr-brightspot.s3.amaz
WWW.NHPR.ORG

Skepticism and distrust of public schools, and the purported indoctrination of students by teachers, animated debate before a New Hampshire House Committee Thursday.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I just looked at our ISD’s teacher pay and 0 years of experience with a bachelor’s is $59,500. And this district isn’t particularly wealthy.

SCHOOLS.TEXASTRIBUNE.ORG

Texas Public Schools: Use our database to learn more about the state’s 1,200 districts and 8,700 public schools, including hundreds of charter schools and alternative campuses. You can easily...

As of the 2019-2020 school year, an average teacher's salary was $60,996, which is $3,905 more than the state average. On average, teachers had 10.5 years of experience.

Beginner

$53,346

Statewide: $49,868

I think you read something wrong.  60k is actually close to starting pay in districts near me in upstate NY, and like every district has that teacher thats been there forever making 6 figures 

1 minute ago, PaladinSolo said:

As of the 2019-2020 school year, an average teacher's salary was $60,996, which is $3,905 more than the state average. On average, teachers had 10.5 years of experience.

Beginner

$53,346

I think you read something wrong.

no, I didn’t. I posted that link for the demographic info.

The current salary info I got from the district website

https://www.alvinisd.net/cms/lib/TX01001897/Centricity/Domain/293/2021-2022 Teacher Salary Schedule .pdf

5 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Beginner

$53,346

I think you read something wrong.  60k is actually close to starting pay in districts near me in upstate NY, and like every district has that teacher thats been there forever making 6 figures 

I just looked up my friend who I was talking about earlier in this thread. He makes 63k a year with 15 years experience all in the same school district. This is in Rochester NY.

No where near worth it.

57 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It isn’t. You would be blown away by the laws that get brought up by these random state house reps. Some of these seats are won in elections with literally 10,000 votes cast.

The vast majority of them never even make it to their respective committees.

This doesn’t fine teachers but school districts in TN. Can discipline teachers though up to termination 

Tennessee_20210423_LFKFilePhotos_LauraFa
TN.CHALKBEAT.ORG

Tennessee is now accepting complaints under a ban of classroom discussions about systemic racism. Here are the rules.

15 minutes ago, elbobo said:

I just looked up my friend who I was talking about earlier in this thread. He makes 63k a year with 15 years experience all in the same school district. This is in Rochester NY.

No where near worth it.

I'd be shocked if his contract doesn't have a slew of stipends for doing extra things, for example when i was doing union stuff at the last district the teachers contract had some serious extra cash for them, like if they wanted to do coaching for like the football team the HC would get 8k, the assistant coach would get 5.5k, same for winter/spring sports like wrestling and track and with seniority they could get all 3 of them.  The band director would get like 9k, summer school teachers were paid 38 dollars an hour.  So yeah, hes making 63k a year working 10 months, but he likely can/is making a lot more.

10 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I'd be shocked if his contract doesn't have a slew of stipends for doing extra things, for example when i was doing union stuff at the last district the teachers contract had some serious extra cash for them, like if they wanted to do coaching for like the football team the HC would get 8k, the assistant coach would get 5.5k, same for winter/spring sports like wrestling and track and with seniority they could get all 3 of them.  The band director would get like 9k, summer school teachers were paid 38 dollars an hour.  So yeah, hes making 63k a year working 10 months, but he likely can/is making a lot more.

not every place has nice stipends like that lol 

Just now, PaladinSolo said:

Its common in NY, teachers are all union and have contracts that are insanely long.

California has unions too but most places do not pay that much for those things. I know a lot of teachers that coach sports and they all say the money isn't worth it but they do it because they enjoy coaching. Summer school where I work is a good chunk of change though. 

11 minutes ago, johnny said:

California has unions too but most places do not pay that much for those things. I know a lot of teachers that coach sports and they all say the money isn't worth it but they do it because they enjoy coaching. Summer school where I work is a good chunk of change though. 

Yeah i know, but i was referencing the NE specifically where spending on education is the highest in the country.  My sister in law taught kindergarten in SC and was making like 30k, i was making more than her with no education and only a few years into working for the bus garage.

Heres part of the teachers contract for my current district.  Category 10 is your Football, baseball, soccer, ect... coaches.  While category one is being an honor society sponsor and stuff, lol.

Screenshot_14.png

3 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Yeah i know, but i was referencing the NE specifically where spending on education is the highest in the country.  My sister in law taught kindergarten in SC and was making like 30k, i was making more than her with no education and only a few years into working for the bus garage.

The Carolinas and so many other states are fuckin atrocious. i wouldnt be a teacher if i grew up in those states. 

I'm not broke or anything, I just don't know when i'll be able to actually buy a house. California is not a state that favors living alone unless you make bank. I also really like my job which is a bonus. I don't dread going to work. 

4 minutes ago, johnny said:

The Carolinas and so many other states are fuckin atrocious. i wouldnt be a teacher if i grew up in those states. 

I'm not broke or anything, I just don't know when i'll be able to actually buy a house. California is not a state that favors living alone unless you make bank. I also really like my job which is a bonus. I don't dread going to work. 

When I lived in NC my wife would have had to take a pay cut from being a barista at Starbucks to teach high school

Not being able to buy a house is just a thing for everybody, not just teachers. I make more money than most teachers (not including 2021, thank you COVID), and buying a house in any decently sized urban area is just not feasible. I could buy a house in Estacada, Forest Grove, or Sandy and spend 2+ hours in my car every day, as I know some people do, but if you want a house in sniffing distance of an urban center, you might as well pray for winning the lottery.

7 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Not being able to buy a house is just a thing for everybody, not just teachers. I make more money than most teachers (not including 2021, thank you COVID), and buying a house in any decently sized urban area is just not feasible. I could buy a house in Estacada, Forest Grove, or Sandy and spend 2+ hours in my car every day, as I know some people do, but if you want a house in sniffing distance of an urban center, you might as well pray for winning the lottery.

map-directions.png
WWW.HAR.COM

Find the latest homes for sale, homes for rent, open houses, foreclosures, neighborhood and school level searches on HAR.com

Come to Houston 😘