Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tao

CEB Reading List

228 posts in this topic

Storm of Swords Spoilers:

Storm of Swords Spoilers: I threw that book against the wall, as I recall. Red Wedding FTL

Oh man tell me about it. So many huge plot developments. The Red Wedding for sure was a huge rage-fest for me. George RR Martin, why u hate your characters so much?

Alright, I need some suggestions. Birthday is coming up and my parents need ideas on what to get me. I figure a list of a few books might be a good, easy thing.

So I need some suggestions on Soviet history.

Anything on the lead up to the 1917 Revolution.

Anything on the Soviet leaders that weren't Gorbachev.

Anything on obscure events (or in depth/never before heard accounts of events we all know about)

I figure RFK's "Thirteen Days" memoir might be a good place to start. But at a hundred something pages, it's not really all that substantive.

I'll take other suggestions too.

Are there any really good, in depth accounts of the Yom Kippur War? Anything good by Kissinger? MacNamara?

Four Sociological Traditions - Randall Collins

It is a nice concise general overview of sociology. It is pretty damn good.

I just read Benedict Anderson's Imagined Communities and am finishing Sarah Vowell's Assassination Vacation.

I'm unsure if two books could be more different.

I'd recommend the first to anyone although it's a hard book to slog through.

The Autobiography of Malcom X

A People's History of the United States

Notes from the Underground

The Cult of Pharmacology is one of the best books I've ever read. It basically debunks every single aspect of the war on drugs: the war itself, the pharmaceutical companies and their involvement, the myth of biological addiction, angel and demon drugs, and how the public seems constantly ignorant.

If they haven't been recommended yet, let me suggest:

13 Bankers by Simon Johnson and James Kwak

Griftopia by Matt Taibbi

Glenn Greenwald has a new book coming out this month too, definitely stoked for that.

Just finished reading an instruction booklet to an electric shaver I have. A++ would read again.

You're doing it wrong.

wetshave11.jpg

(unless, of course, it's for the manscaping, in which case, carry on.)

It's shaving. You are removing hair from your body; it's not a goddamn form of art. There's no point in spending so much money on specialized equipment so you can get a shave that will maybe last you two or three more days.

It's shaving. You are removing hair from your body; it's not a goddamn form of art. There's no point in spending so much money on specialized equipment so you can get a shave that will maybe last you two or three more days.

Art? I use a blade, a brush, and soap. I use a DE razor because it gives a close shave with no irritation and because it's cheap. A pack of blades is about $2. How much is pack of mach 3s? $40? It's just a better way.

Art? I use a blade, a brush, and soap. I use a DE razor because it gives a close shave with no irritation and because it's cheap. A pack of blades is about $2. How much is pack of mach 3s? $40? It's just a better way.

This. I switched a couple years ago from the Mach 5 or whatever the latest thing was. Up front cost was about 75 bucks for shave brush, DE razor and shave soap. In the last two years I've spent maybe $10 on additional razors, and $10 on more shave soap, and that's it. You get a better shave, after a week or so of getting used to it. It's cheaper. And it hurts less. No brainer.

THIS BOOK DISCUSSION IS AMAZING!

What kind of de razors? Those old timey barber shop ones or those big gilletey style ones >.>?

THIS BOOK DISCUSSION IS AMAZING!

What kind of de razors? Those old timey barber shop ones or those big gilletey style ones >.>?

31Q7U4VJqzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yeah, my initial investment was about $75. You'll make that up in savings many times over. I use a Merkur HD 34C razor, I think it sells for about $45. It has a short handle which I prefer but Merkur also makes the longer ones.

It took me about a week to get comfortable shaving with it because you have to unlearn some bad habits the multi-blade razors let you get away with but I'm pretty quick with it now. Definitely worth a try.

Finished. I recommend To Die in Mexico and The Cult of Pharmacology. Two great books about the drug war and America's relationship with drugs.

I just finished the latest issue of Love and Rockets New Stories. For those unfamiliar, Love and Rockets is an independent comic book series by the Hernandez brothers Gilbert and Jaime which started in the 80s.

It's probably one of the greatest singular achievements in comics in the last thirty years. Staggering in its depth of character and its intelligence.

A lot is made of The Walking Dead being the best currently ongoing creator-owned series, but when the Hernandez Brothers decided to bring back their comic series, it's really no contest IMHO.

This latest issue particularly, which would ostensibly conclude Jaime's character's 20 plus year storyarc, is a tour de force and probably his best story.

I'm about to start "The Yom Kippur War" by Abraham Rabinovich.

And for Christmas I'm getting Kissinger's "Diplomacy" and John Lewis Gaddis' "The Cold War: A New History."

After that, I very well may get his biography of George F. Kennan.

I'm excited to read Diplomacy and Kennan's biography.

I just finished The Rule of Empires. Interesting read and the comparisons drawn between the various empires and the tools they used to maintain them was fasicnating. The condlusion was an argument why the modern empire has had to warp into what the US displays as the modern world will not stand hard-power empires. Bonus points for including the Emerald City and showing Bremer and the CPAs incompetence.

I know Haruki Murakami has been mentioned a few times, but I do want to throw in a plug for what I think is probably a book a lot of people will miss of his, but definitely should not. It's called What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, and it's basically his memoirs of when he started running (which coincided with the beginning of his writing career, and became a big part of why he believes he writes the way he does). If you've ever thought about writing before, or are writing, or just happen to wonder about the very nature of creativity, the book is freaking amazing. And so easy to get through as well.

I had read all of his fiction, but my good friend finished her dissertation for her Ph.d the other day and flew in from Germany to defend it, but even though she was about to add "Dr." to her name, the only thing she really wanted to talk to me about was that book. So I picked it up and read it. So glad I did.