• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P Twitch Channel Streaming   05/20/2016

Just as a courtesy, if you're going to stream on the D1P Twitch channel, please let us know the times you intend to stream so that you don't kick someone else off of it inadvertently.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tao

CEB Reading List

228 posts in this topic

So does your mom.

So Game of Thrones came out on HBO on Sunday. I've been looking forward to it, as i really enjoyed that book, but I doubt their ability to maintain a coherent TV adaptation past the first novel. They'll have to do a LOT of clever writing to keep the story interesting, stick to the central plot line without getting bogged down in the many extraneous characters/plots that Martin introducts, especially after Clash of Kings.

Despite his total lack of restraint or a powerful editor, I'm still looking forward to the end of the five year drought of books. Supposedly Dance of Dragons is actually showing up in July!

Oh you won't have to worry about that, warmer.

I doubt the show will last beyond Season 2 anyway simply because it's just too damned expensive to keep in production for what is very much a niche market.

Yeah, I mean this thread is used once per week, and at least the CT is more widely accepted. Who cares about the policy of the BC boards? I mean, there was a reason everyone left IGN, and it wasn't because they were listening to what users want.

Eh ... now I look stupid. Well, thanks.

^(inb4 “You already did before”)

Current Events Board

I was checking out the last few posts and thought you were making a joke that that's what you were reading.

The CEB is so sad. It has devolved to save_man and BT talking to themselves. It was inevitable really.

Evolutionary Psychology - David M. Buss

Yeah, it's a textbook but a good read. I should have taken this in college. My psyche out skills are too low.

Textbooks are cool. I bought a [pricey] neuroscience textbook just to read for fun. I'd do more of this if the prices weren't bonkers.

Seriously, they are normally written by professors that are experts in their field so you know you are going to get a good presentation of the material. You can get past edition textbooks cheap as hell on Amazon now too. I got a brand new intro to psyche book with a cool learning cd-rom for like 40 bucks. I was stoked. Psychology is good to know about.

Just started reading the Song of Ice and Fire series, picked up all 5 books at Chapters. I watched the first season of Game of Thrones (what a fantastic cast!), and was hooked.

It kind of sucks reading through what I've already watched (first season was the first book), but it's better in the long run, I think.

Just started reading the Song of Ice and Fire series, picked up all 5 books at Chapters. I watched the first season of Game of Thrones (what a fantastic cast!), and was hooked.

It kind of sucks reading through what I've already watched (first season was the first book), but it's better in the long run, I think.

Just wait until you finish book 5 and realize it's probably gonna be another 5 years until GRRM finishes the next one, or dies.

Also - never look at a picture of him. It'll ruin the sexytime scenes forever.

Isn't the average a book every 3 years or so?

Regardless, that's far too long. Most of my favourite authors pump out 2 or 3 books per year, or maybe only 1 if they are huge novels, like Peter Hamilton does.

Isn't the average a book every 3 years or so?

Regardless, that's far too long. Most of my favourite authors pump out 2 or 3 books per year, or maybe only 1 if they are huge novels, like Peter Hamilton does.

He ran into a lot of trouble with books 4&5 (originally one book, then split into two, then rewritten etc). He thinks he'll get book 6 out faster, but I'm skeptical. He's gotten a bit out of control with too many characters and subplots.

If you want a fun read that is also really illuminating about humanity, check out Watts "Everything is *Obvious". I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The Return of Depression Economics - Paul Krugman

Ruh oh.

That was a good short book. I liked the discussion of the Asian financial crisis and the role of speculators over the last few decades especially. LOL @ Hong Kong putting it on Soros. That was amusing. It seems Soros actually helped the UK out with his shenanigans though. It is interesting, scary and infuriating how the shadow banking system can make fortunes, ruin economies and diminish the economic well being of millions of people.

Krugman is a good economist to read. I would say him and Joseph Stiglitz are the best contemporary economists to read these days. They are moderate in their politics and seem to really care about presenting the truth and forwarding the well being of society, both here and abroad. Stiglitz and Krugman both have Nobel prizes too. They are not hacks. They are also not apt to get carried away and start worshipping capitalism to the point of partially blinding themselves the way right wing economists tend to do. Not that reading those guys is always a waste of time. They are good at presenting the benefits of capitalism, the perils of socialsim and stuff like that. Just don't trust them in regards to policy and forecasts. They can be a tad bit Panglossian. Guys like Stiglitz and Krugman have come out looking better in the wake of the last two decades. They have greater credibility now.

Next on tap is The Myth of the Rational Market and How Markets Fail. They are both books that look at how some of the excesses of right leaning economists over the last few decades helped create the environment for the financial and economic crisis here and others abroad previously. I think they are basically critiques of excessive market liberalization.

The Myth of Rational Markets - Justin Fox

How Markets Fail - John Cassidy

Just got 'The Post-American World 2.0' by Zakaria and 'The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle' by Murakami for $7 thanks to a gift card.

I am reading Liar's Poker. Maybe I can understand what the hell CMack is talking about afterward. Wall Street is craziness though. It is a very amusing book thus far. The Big Short is up next after that.

I'm just about finished A Storm of Swords (Ice and Fire # 3). Holy crap, I can't wait to see HBO make the next few seasons for Game of Thrones.

I'm just about finished A Storm of Swords (Ice and Fire # 3). Holy crap, I can't wait to see HBO make the next few seasons for Game of Thrones.

Storm of Swords Spoilers:

Storm of Swords Spoilers: I threw that book against the wall, as I recall. Red Wedding FTL