Jason Schreier: Microsoft "close" to acquiring Obsidian Entertainment

Commissar SFLUFAN

7 hours ago, HGLatinBoy said:

MS is buying "not-bioware" ? What's up with them buying up all the single A developers. 

These terms are messy, but there is a reasonable argument that an A developer is AAA developer with a lower budget. Provide them the budget and they become AAA.

(Originally, I'm pretty sure AAA referred only to budget and not quality at all)

1 hour ago, legend said:

These terms are messy, but there is a reasonable argument that an A developer is AAA developer with a lower budget. Provide them the budget and they become AAA.

(Originally, I'm pretty sure AAA referred only to budget and not quality at all)

Or just keep them A and use them (and others) to have a more steady stream of exclusives.  Games Pass needs that to keep subscriptions recurring.

Microsoft's also burned some bridges this gen with contracted projects.  Coming to the bargaining table with a buyout offer shows a greater commitment, even if it isn't a guarantee.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Or just keep them A and use them (and others) to have a more steady stream of exclusives.  Games Pass needs that to keep subscriptions recurring.

Microsoft's also burned some bridges this gen with contracted projects.  Coming to the bargaining table with a buyout offer shows a greater commitment, even if it isn't a guarantee.

There is a world where them being owned by MS works out well. I hope we're in that world, but I have my doubts.

On 10/9/2018 at 1:58 PM, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Which is why I wouldn’t buy them. After reading the Obsidian chapter in Jason Schreier’s book, I got the impression that the issues in the company is more than just a management issue. I personally don’t think Obsidian has made a great game in long time. 

2022 - This will be repurposed for Microsoft

snr7rUd.gif

Side note:  Blood, Sweat and Pixels was a great book.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:46 AM, legend said:

It still does refer to Budget.