Jason Schreier: Microsoft "close" to acquiring Obsidian Entertainment

Commissar SFLUFAN

11 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Larian ain't desperate for cash like Obsidian is.

Which is why I wouldn’t buy them. After reading the Obsidian chapter in Jason Schreier’s book, I got the impression that the issues in the company is more than just a management issue. I personally don’t think Obsidian has made a great game in long time. 

2022 - This will be repurposed for Microsoft

snr7rUd.gif

• Guillotine 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

How does this make you feel @TomCat?

Just goes to show that  MS is serious about filling game pass with decent games.  I would have been estactic  if this was years ago  but Hell I cant even remember the last oblivion game released.  But More Studios in the MS camp is great news

• Guillotine 1

30 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The choice was this or die.

Obsidian has been keeping the lights on with contract work - that's simply unsustainable.

Based on history, MS buying them is sort of like going on chemo to extend your life another month.

2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Which is why I wouldn’t buy them. After reading the Obsidian chapter in Jason Schreier’s book, I got the impression that the issues in the company is more than just a management issue. I personally don’t think Obsidian has made a great game in long time.

Pillars of Eternity 1 + 2 are fantastic games.

Separately, it's bullshit this happened to them if it was Microsoft's fault (in part) in the first place (if I understand the story correctly) but I'd rather the talent survive than not. 

And to be clear, it's not that I'm wholly against them being bought, if that's what it's come to. But I'd much rather it be someone like Sony if they have to be bought. MS has to do a lot to regain my confidence in them and I'd rather not risk Obsidian falling victim to their BS.

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

Pillars of Eternity 1 + 2 are fantastic games.

Separately, it's bullshit this happened to them if it was Microsoft's fault (in part) in the first place (if I understand the story correctly) but I'd rather the talent survive than not. 

In the Eurogamer article, Feargus Urquhart admits that the cancellation of Stormlands was largely Obsidian's fault.

2 minutes ago, projectmayhem said:

I thought Obsidian were owned by Paradox. Still disappointed they weren't asked to make a Vampire: The Masquerade game. 

Obsidian partnered with Paradox to publish Tyranny and Pillars of Eternity 1 (but not PoE 2).

The business relationship between Paradox and Obsidian soured after Tyranny.

18 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

But if it was Obsidian's fault the first time, what changes if Microsoft's, not Obsidian's management, has changed?

Phil Spencer is the main change and his desire to expand MS's portfolio.

Also, MS will be able to exert greater project discipline on Obsidian that they were unable to do back in 2012.

• Thanks 1