Netflix says fuck it and increases premium plan to $23/month

Brian

The standard and ad supported plans are staying the same.

If there is one common theme to these services is that now that the boom is over they are all retreating to the ad supported models of older media.

Netflix is just the most blatant. They are all kind of doing the "tax them towards the ads" type approach....

Netflix reported 9 million new subscribers in the third quarter and beat the analyst earnings expectations.  As a result, the stock jumped 14% in pre-market trading.

I genuinely get the sense that Netflix's demand curve is inelastic at this point and they're the only one among the streaming services who have that luxury.

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Netflix reported 9 million new subscribers in the third quarter and beat the analyst earnings expectations.  As a result, the stock jumped 14% in pre-market trading.

I genuinely get the sense that Netflix's demand curve is inelastic at this point and they're the only one among the streaming services who have that luxury.

Brand equity, baby! 

8 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Many of the new subs are probably people who can't use their friends/parents/siblings plans anymore with the new sharing crack down. Oh, btw, Disney+ is going to start one of those soon.

17 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Many of the new subs are probably people who can't use their friends/parents/siblings plans anymore with the new sharing crack down. Oh, btw, Disney+ is going to start one of those soon.

There's little doubt in my mind that those represent the bulk of the new subscriptions which really does speak to the "stickiness" of Netflix's demand side.

11 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

There's little doubt in my mind that those represent the bulk of the new subscriptions which really does speak to the "stickiness" of Netflix's demand side.

Netflix is the go to word when people think of streaming, still probably one of the better names out there, so price hike or not it's the streaming system most people use.

• True 1

I agree that overall it is one of the best, I also haven't watched anything I care about at all on there in a long time.

Sandman was the last show on there I think I watched... wasn't that at least a year ago if not more? My kids and wife use it though...

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

If most of you guys don't really enjoy Netflix, which streaming service do you think is the best?

The last few months I started paying for YouTube premium. When I have nothing else to do and I turn the tv on, I find myself going to that the most. It’s become a fast way to get major news headlines through the day along with endless other content to keep me busy.

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Wait, no. I wouldn't. The Great British Baking Show is releasing new episodes weekly.

That’s the thing with all these damn streamers. Every time I’m about to cancel one (even temporarily), they release something I want to watch. Netflix just did it with House of Usher. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

If most of you guys don't really enjoy Netflix, which streaming service do you think is the best?

I think Max is my most used service, but I pretty much just bounce around. I go where the shows I want are. We have Max, Netflix, Prime, Disney + and Bally Sports Midwest. My son sometimes has Crunchy Roll. I think I'm gonna drop Disney + because I haven't used it in a long time either. Lately I have been using Pluto TV to watch Star Trek or to put a bad old movie on in the background while I play on my iPad. I'm a big fan of Pluto TV. It feels like dollar store cable. It's the UHF of streaming services.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ort said:

I think Max is my most used service, but I pretty much just bounce around. I go where the shows I want are. We have Max, Netflix, Prime, Disney + and Bally Sports Midwest. My son sometimes has Crunchy Roll. I think I'm gonna drop Disney + because I haven't used it in a long time either. Lately I have been using Pluto TV to watch Star Trek or to put a bad old movie on in the background while I play on my iPad. I'm a big fan of Pluto TV. It feels like dollar store cable. It's the UHF of streaming services.

I'm currently watching Euphoria on Max. I have Max, Netflix, and Peacock. I actually got Max for TLOU. I don't watch TV so these 3 services have been solid. I feel Netflix offers more what I like. 

6 hours ago, best3444 said:

YouTube is the best streaming service, but their biggest miss comes in the form of scripted content. If not YouTube, I actually think the service with the highest percentage of great TV is Dropout...you just have to like improv comedy, gameshows, and D&D.

Everything else I subscribe to, gets equal billing from me depending on what series is currently running. If it weren't for the kids and the absolute hassle it is, I'd subscribe and unsubscribe from everything not YouTube, Dropout, and Crunchyroll on a monthly basis.

• Thanks 1

The really annoying thing about this, to me, is that the only way to get 4K content is with the premium plan; every other plan offers HD but not Ultra HD. The premium plan does give you more screens, but as a single guy, I don't need them.  Just give me the 4K on a single device for a lower price! 

Okay, I have a legit question for those who say Netflix isn't worth it..... HOW?!

Yes, Netflix puts out a lot of shit, and a lot of it is shit, but just in the last few months - British Bake Off, Castlevania, The Fall of the House of Usher, Our Planet, Nimona, One Piece, They Cloned Tyrone, they just recently got a bunch of HBO content... I'm probably forgetting a lot of things right now.

With services like Max or Disney+, there might be 1 thing running at a time that I want to watch. Sometimes nothing. With Netflix, there's ALWAYS something.  How in the titty fucking christ could you possibly say Netflix doesn't have enough content for you, but Max or Disney+ do? Yeah, 75% of Netflix's content is shit, but they only need 25% of it to be good for it to still far outpace anything anyone else does.

There are a lot of reasons to dislike how Netflix runs things, but if anyone ever says "Netflix doesn't have enough quality content," I want some of what you're smoking because you're fucking high as gas.

• Halal 1

25 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Yes, Netflix puts out a lot of shit, and a lot of it is shit, but just in the last few months - British Bake Off, Castlevania, The Fall of the House of Usher, Our Planet, Nimona, One Piece, They Cloned Tyrone, they just recently got a bunch of HBO content... I'm probably forgetting a lot of things right now.

The Uncanny Counter

7 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Okay, I have a legit question for those who say Netflix isn't worth it..... HOW?!

With services like Max or Disney+, there might be 1 thing running at a time that I want to watch. Sometimes nothing. With Netflix, there's ALWAYS something.  How in the titty fucking christ could you possibly say Netflix doesn't have enough content for you, but Max or Disney+ do? Yeah, 75% of Netflix's content is shit, but they only need 25% of it to be good for it to still far outpace anything anyone else does.

There are a lot of reasons to dislike how Netflix runs things, but if anyone ever says "Netflix doesn't have enough quality content," I want some of what you're smoking because you're fucking high as gas.

I care much more about existing content rather than sampling new stuff. Particularly TV shows.

Netflix is by far the worst when it comes to offering classic content.

I have 5 services and Netflix ain't one of them. Haven't had it for a year or two and haven't missed it in the least. I'll get a month or two once Stranger Things and Cobrai Kai's final seasons go up next year.

21 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I care much more about existing content rather than sampling new stuff. Particularly TV shows.

Netflix is by far the worst when it comes to offering classic content.

I have 5 services and Netflix ain't one of them. Haven't had it for a year or two and haven't missed it in the least. I'll get a month or two once Stranger Things and Cobrai Kai's final seasons go up next year.

This is me exactly. Got rid of it over a year ago. I have someone else’s Disney but rarely watch that. I’ve never gotten rid of prime and they are ok with classic stuff. Got a trial of apple that is about to expire just after invasion ends. Tubi has been amazing so far. I still have cable for stupid nba

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That's exactly what it is. I'm tempted to drop those fuckers to send them a message 

I’d drop them today but I have family that watches, so whatever. But they lost A TON of revenue during the strike. In the end, we’ll foot the bill for their losses.