Assassin's Creed Odyssey | Official Thread of Dangling Off Zeus's Wang - update: 60FPS support for PS5/Xbox Series consoles coming August 24

Pikachu

IGN - 92%

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey is a resounding achievement in world building, environment, and engaging gameplay with occasional problems throughout. Its incredible recreation of ancient Greece is something I’ll want to go back to long after I’ve finished its main story, and its excellent systems mesh together in a way that’s hard to beat. While there are definite rough edges, Odyssey sets a new bar for Assassin’s Creed games and holds its own in the eternal debate over the best open-world roleplaying games ever.

Gamespot - 80%

Despite this, Assassin's Creed Odyssey's ambition is admirable, which is reflected in its rich attention to detail for the era and its approach to handling the multi-faceted narrative with strong protagonists at the lead. While its large-scale campaign--clocking in at over 50 hours--can occasionally be tiresome, and some features don't quite make the impact they should, Odyssey makes great strides in its massive and dynamic world, and it's a joy to venture out and leave your mark on its ever-changing setting.

Destructoid - 92%

Alexios is one of the most memorable protagonists in all of Assassin's Creed, even if I never once actually thought of him as an assassin. In a lesser game, he'd probably be forgettable. But Assassin's Creed Odyssey is superb in nearly every aspect. It's the most impressive Assassin's Creed, even though sometimes it feels like it's Assassin's Creed in name only. It's as broad as Atlas' shoulders and as strong as Hercules. This time, Ubisoft hit a real Homer.

US Gamer - 90%

Building upon the foundation established in Assassin's Creed Origins, Odyssey brings together that title's RPG adventure with the ship-bound exploration of Black Flag. Choice and consequence feature heavily in Odyssey, with the player guiding Alexios or Kassandra through a massive journey to reunite their family and kill a lot of people. Not every feature is perfect, with things like recruitment and Conquest Battles needing a bit of work, but overall Odyssey is a grand next step for the journey Origins started.

Game Informer - 82.5%

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey aims high in its attempts to blend innovative additions with returning features. The execution might be uneven, but Ubisoft Quebec ultimately strikes a successful balance among the many parts. The story is compelling, both as a hero’s journey and in the way it ties into the series’ wider lore. Exploring the world is fun, combat is empowering, and getting epic loot is a thrill. That solid core formula carries Odyssey a long way, but like Icarus and his wax wings, it’s not enough to reach the bright star on the horizon.

Eurogamer - Recommended

Throughout all of this, and because of all this, I was wary Odyssey would begin to feel bloated, but despite its length that's not a word I'd use. It's vast, there's no getting around that, but optional goat-hunting bounties aside the majority of your time with Odyssey is well respected. You're always a few hundred XP off a new level and new skill, or a mission away from completing an island's questline, or one Cultist kill behind upgrading my spear. Tonight I may finally track down a First Civilisation monster, or unlock another map region just to see what lies over the horizon. Odyssey is an enormous game - certainly one of the biggest, if not the biggest game Ubisoft has ever made. It's an astonishing creation, extraordinarily generous and solidly crafted, and like its namesake is something that will live long in the telling.

The Escapist - 60%

Too much of Odyssey’s later game story content is locked behind a murderous progression wall. Every quest in the game has a level attached to it, and while there’s some wiggle room, anything more than a couple of levels above your character is intended to be beyond your capability — more simply, you just can’t do enough damage to fight effectively.

Polygon (no score)

This is why, for all its faults, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey is one of the best explorable game worlds yet made. It’s ambitious enough to recreate ancient Greece as a detailed panorama, and to populate it with lovable, faulty, funny human beings. Like great historical fiction, it feels like journey into a thrilling, alien and dangerous adventure

Kotaku (no score)

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey’s defining characteristic is how often it seems to be anything other than an Assassin’s Creed game. It admirably copies The Witcher 3’s form, crafting a near-fantasy setting that feels worthy of the legendary creatures and storied heroes it contains. By itself, that world—which could have been its own new Grecian fantasy franchise—is a lot of fun to explore. But Odyssey shines best only once it embraces the strangeness that helped make the franchise so noteworthy to begin with. You can play Odyssey however you want; as an exploration game, as a new open-world RPG, as a historical narrative. But it works best once it finally, after many hours, gives you the chance to treat it like an Assassin’s Creed game.

Angry Centuar Gaming - Buy

GamesRadar+ - 100%

In the end this journey is all about choice. The people you decide to let live, the romances you have, the sexuality lines you blur, the questlines you follow, the people you help and hinder and the RPG picks you make. It's an utterly beautifully crafted world and story, with cutscenes for literally days. After 70 hours I've only just finished the main storyline and I still have plenty to see in Odyssey's Greece, and it's a joy to keep on exploring. No-one's made an open-world RPG with this much depth and brilliance since The Witcher 3. This really is the ultimate Creed.

Game Revolution - 70%

Odyssey’s mere existence seems like the manifestation of Ubisoft’s urge to churn out Assassin’s Creed titles, which is odd since the year off gave the series the fresh start and break it deserved. The quick turnaround makes this game a little creatively stagnant and is, in some ways, a step backwards from what came before. Although it crafts a wonderful narrative in an awe-inspiring world, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, through its stubbornness and familiarity, sometimes feels like a “best of” compilation of its predecessors without being the best of them.

TheSixthAxis - 80%

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey throws so much stuff at you, it’s difficult to sift through it all. It’s a beautiful game to look at and the story is intriguing, but it feels like a game that could have been a little more ambitious if given more time to develop. There’s good ideas, from the branching story and character choice to the return of ship-based combat, but its ambitions also fray around the edges in a way that Origins didn’t.

COGconnected - 78%

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, for better or worse, feels like a palette swap of Origins. There’s a huge new world full of historical coolness and infinite things to do, but the enhancements are few and far between. If you loved Origins and want more of that you’ll gobble Odyssey right up, but Ubisoft needs to be diligent about making changes to these games if they’re going to continue pumping them out year after year.

Trusted Reviews - 80%

That said, the foundations being built paint an exciting future for Assassin’s Creed, even if its dialogue system and romantic pursuits falter more often than they succeed. Those hungry for more of Assassin’s Creed needn’t go wrong here, as Odyssey presents an exhilarating depiction of Ancient Greece to explore.

Hardcore Gamer - 70%

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey is a worthy follow-up to Origins, incorporating new gameplay ideas while following the same formula as its predecessor. Even though there are enough differences to not feel like a retread, one’s opinion of Origins is a good barometer for how they might feel about Odyssey. Longtime fans of the series may be disappointed in how the character selections and choice-driven narrative goes against traditional Assassin’s Creed lore. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey is not a perfect game and the tech issues in particular are fair grounds for complaints. Even with its faults the positives greatly outweighs its flaws, though some old school Assassin’s Creed fans may be in an uproar over some of the more drastic changes to the traditional formula. Despite its issues, this is a worthwhile odyssey to embark on.

Game Rant - 80%

Assassin's Creed Odyssey pushes the franchise further away from action and into true RPG territory with dialogue options, branching talent trees, and an addicting armor system.

Windows Central - 80%

Odyssey is a great entry in the wider series, largely bug-free, with great visuals and tight combat. But many of the "new" features Ubisoft included aren't as well executed as you might hope from an annual franchise. I wish Ubisoft had fleshed out the mercenary ladder and mercenary crew a bit more to tie them into the game's story, as it would have granted Odyssey a starker identity. The dialogue choices are a nice touch, and a few key moments can influence the way the game ends. However, you won't really feel much of that impact throughout the game, save for a few referential dialogue lines here and there.

God Is A Geek - 80%

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey is a huge, ambitious game. In the early stages it feels like it doesn’t do enough to distinguish itself significantly enough from Origins, but as the story progresses and new activities and goals start to appear, the feeling that Odyssey is the start of a new, exciting direction for the franchise can’t be understated. Combat changes, an open world to explore, and a movement to RPG-style play started in Origins, and has been expanded upon here with a feeling that as you progress through the world you are impacting it in some way. There is still some needless level gating of areas that require a process of grinding XP to reach the required level, but each of the side missions are interesting and thoughtful, from Socrates sending you on missions that have you questioning the value of free speech, or whether one live is intrinsically more valuable than another life, to other missions that have you pondering whether the death of one person is justified in the pursuit of the greater good. One thing is for sure, Assassin’s Creed as a franchise is in a very exciting place at the moment.

VideoGamer - 80%

Assassin's Creed Odyssey sees the franchise at its strongest and most ambitious yet. With a compelling story, solid RPG mechanics, and heaps of content to soak up, you'll be spending months immersed in its sprawling Greek sandbox.

EGM - 85%

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey lives up to its namesake. By fully investing in becoming an action RPG, Odyssey’s characters, combat, story, and scope are beyond anything the series has accomplished so far. Its ambitions might get the better of it sometimes, like in how it divides its story moments or in how the leveling system can get out of hand, but the overall experience is, simply put, epic. Even when the game’s pacing hits a speed bump, there are plenty of engaging and rewarding side quests and distractions to keep you busy.

Worth Playing - 88%

With that said, after dozens of hours, I still have yet to really scratch the surface of the true Odyssey narrative because as I mentioned before, there are multiple story arcs to follow. One concerns Kassandra and her true family roots, another involves a massive conspiratorial web that spans all of Greece, and yet another involves the greater picture of the pieces of Eden and the Assassins' mission. Windows into each of those arcs are found throughout the map — within the missions and into the cinema scenes and dialogues. This is the kind of game where you could wipe out days of time paying attention to one piece of the greater story, with the true joy coming when you get to take a step back and see the story you've built.

We Got This Covered - 100%

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, at its core, is an epic historical RPG that uses familiar assets, lore, and mechanics from the Assassin’s Creed universe. Of course, as the story progresses, more is revealed, and the merging of historical RPG and core Assassin’s Creed game comes to light — I won’t spoil any of that here, but believe me, it’s worth the wait. With 40-50 hours of gameplay for the main story and nine different endings based on the choices made throughout your personal odyssey, this is a game that can easily be played over and over for 400 hours or more, if you want to see everything the game has to offer. That is a staggering number for any franchise, and it really goes to show how epic this game is.

Press Start - 90%

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey successfully builds upon the already strong foundation that Origins set to provide yet another Assassin’s Creed experience that still feels fresh and, more importantly, fun to explore and dive into. Even better, it does all this without the typical bloat you’d expect, although Conquest Battles do feel like a missed opportunity. Despite this minor letdown, Odyssey eclipses Origins in practically every way, and is easily the best Assassin’s Creed yet.

DualShockers - 90%

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey isn’t just one of the best Assassin’s Creed games there has ever been, it’s one of the most exceptional action RPGs that I’ve played this console generation. While only a few years ago I was left wondering what this franchise’s future would be, now I’m more excited than I have been in quite some time to see where Ubisoft continues to take Assassin’s Creed from here.

Gaming Nexus - 95%

Not since Breath of the Wild have I enjoyed an open world game this much. With so much to see and do, Assassin's Creed Odyssey is one of, it not the best, game in the Assassin's Creed franchise—and absolutely a game of the year contender. 

Twinfinite - 90%

It’s strange, because Odyssey barely even feels like an Assassin’s Creed game. Take away Layla Hassan and the “Assassin’s Creed” brand from the title, and I’d just look at this game as a really strong, standalone historical fiction video game. Despite that, or perhaps because of that, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey quickly becomes the best entry we’ve seen from the series in the last 10 years. Ubisoft has fully embraced the RPG formula with Odyssey, and they’ve created a game that feels refreshingly confident and self-assured. There are still a few missteps to work out, but for now, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey is one of the most charming open world RPGs you’ll play this year.

PlayStation Universe - 95%

A glorious sum of newly implemented RPG systems, refined traditional series beats and boasting one of the most entertaining stories in recent memory, Assassin's Creed Odyssey is simply the best in the series and one of the finest open-world adventures available

RPG Site - 70%

Odyssey suffers in the same way Origins did as it searches for an identity within both the stealth and RPG genres. We obviously deeply appreciate the addition of such RPG mechanics and Odyssey often fines a nice middle ground between the two, but it ultimately isn't consistent enough on either spectrum to fully flesh out what the game could potentially be. If you enjoyed Assassin’s Creed Origins or want a game you easily sink over eighty hours in through exploration alone you will probably enjoy Odyssey, but if you’ve grown tired of the general monotony of the series you might want to wait until Ubisoft does something more innovative with this IP.

GamingBolt - 90%

This is one of the best Assassin's Creed games Ubisoft has ever made, joining the likes of Assassin's Creed 2 and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood at the very top of the franchise's hierarchy. While its choice and consequence mechanics aren't radical reinventions, they add a great deal of agency and variation to the proceedings, while a beautiful and varied setting, a meaningful progression system, a ton of enjoyable content, and the series' best combat system all come together to deliver a memorable odyssey.

Attack of the Fanboy - 90%

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey takes the excellent blueprint laid down by Origins and expands on it.  It’s more dynamic than any game in the series, and gives the very best modern, open-world RPGs a run for their money when it comes to the sheer amount of content and level of quality found across the board.  Mileage may vary on the story front, but when it comes to gameplay, Odyssey is one the best Assassin’s Creed games to date.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey is determined to make your choices feel important  (PC Gamer impressions)

Overall, and despite myself, I’m engrossed in Odyssey. Ten hours ago, I wanted to put it down for good. 20 hours in, and I'm hooked. The conversation trees don’t feel quite as subtle as Mass Effect 2, to name just one example, but they definitely help to establish the kind of Kassandra (or Alexios) you want to be. Whether the vast majority of these conversations prove to be superfluous or not, it’s a whole lot more engaging than watching a cutscene play out, and the game has thus far demonstrated a dedication to remembering what a complete arsehole I’ve chosen to be. 

Crucially, Odyssey definitely feels more like an RPG than Origins did. You’ll still be infiltrating camps and historical buildings, you’ll still be tearing away at Dark Souls-lite combat, you’ll still be scaling a building rather than walking around it. But the game makes an effort to respond to your expression. For me at least, I’m ready to sink a significant portion of my life into this adventure. And trust me: I was reluctant.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey let me tell this NPC what I think of her stupid sidequest (PC Gamer impressions)

My encounter with the lumber lady made me laugh, because there is a self-awareness to the dialogue there—Alexios is acknowledging what a pain in the arse it is to perform this arbitrary task for a rude NPC. Admittedly, Ubisoft still adds the sidequest to your log anyway, but it's this sort of moment that people always remember and share from RPGs. Punching the reporter in Mass Effect is a famous example of this. I'm excited about the idea of uncovering similar situations in this massive game. It's not just about acting like a dick—it's about how you act like a dick.

Review-in-Progress (PC Gamer)

When I look back on all the fun I’ve had so far, though, these complaints feel minor. I still have many hours to go before I’m done the main story, and then there’s Odyssey’s considerable endgame—which, from what I’ve glimpsed, could probably be a whole other game on its own. But it’s clear that Odyssey is a lot more than just another Assassin’s Creed, it’s an RPG of unparalleled scale supplemented by satisfyingly layered and deep progression systems that add context to the icons dotting my map. 

49 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Man, that's the most fucked tier system of all time. They intentionally designed it so  you can't get everything.

Apparently there are some items and weapons that can only be gotten by purchasing pizza rolls from  Totinos. The ultimate version should be renamed to “ The almost but not quite Ultimate, you still need to binge some shit tier snacks and your still not gonna get everything version “

6 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Apparently there are some items and weapons that can only be gotten by purchasing pizza rolls from  Totinos. The ultimate version should be renamed to “ The almost but not quite Ultimate, you still need to binge some shit tier snacks and your still not gonna get everything version “

uhhhh Pizza rolls are a snack worth of the Gods on Mt Olympus sir

• Thanks 1