In a move some people disagree with, Florida requiring menstrual records of teen female athletes before they can compete

• CitizenVectron changed the title to In a move some people disagree with, Florida requiring menstrual records of teen female athletes before they can compete

For the record, this nonsense has been the case for nearly two decades.

GettyImages-1192839147-e1664896562382.jp
FORTUNE.COM

"I don’t see why [school districts] need that access to that type of information," says one doctor.

Asking questions such as when the student got their first period and when they had their last one isn’t anything new in Florida. It’s been an ongoing question for two decades, and it is optional.

Historically, that has been done on paper forms. This fall, however, some districts—including Palm Beach, Broward, Hillsborough and Sarasota counties—will switch to a digital platform that’s held by a third party. And in the post–Roe v. Wade world, that has many people concerned.

19 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Is there any reason, even a farcical one, why they do this? I can’t get either article to load

Man you made me read the damn article you owe me. I couldn’t open OP and I’m not giving them my money (not worth it to me for one story) but I was able to open the link from @Commissar SFLUFAN

I found another website or two and found this information in addition

For more than 20 years, the Florida State High School Athletic Association has asked female athletes to answer the following questions on their pre-participation form: 

When was your first menstrual period?

When was your most recent menstrual period?

How much time do you usually have from the start of one period to
the start of another?

How many periods have you had in the last year?

What was the longest time between periods in the last year?

The questions are marked as optional.

In the past, pediatricians who work with the Palm Beach school district say, the final page in the three-page physical evaluation form was the most important. That’s where the doctor signs off on whether the athlete is cleared to participate (and lists any precautions or limitations). Those doctors say that’s the only page that should be shared with the district. And that’s the way it is in other states, but in Florida, all of the medical data is turned over to the school.

And the sensitive information about minors will kept by a software company that has existed for just over one year. Aktivate, founded by former AOL CEO and News Corp. executive Jon Miller, will store the data; the company was launched last September.

44 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Is there any reason, even a farcical one, why they do this? I can’t get either article to load

This is the only reason I could find in another article:

Period history is important information for pediatricians to know as they screen for bleeding and hormonal conditions that can cause complications for athletes. 

11 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

We all know this is so they can keep transitioning students out of girl's sports. The "you had an abortion" gotcha they will pull is just icing on the cake for them. 

They’ve been doing it for decades, so I don’t think this logic holds. Seems to just be a news story now due to the, ahem, transition to an electronic system that creates even broader privacy concerns.

At my workplace we avoid storing customers payment details because the nature of our work doesn't really lend itself to repeat purchases, but also because we don't want to be responsible for that info. If you're keeping credit card and other payment data, all the sudden you have to be far more careful with your data. You're a bigger target for hacks, there's the possibility of employee impropriety, and there are standards you need to adhere to.

I don't know what kind of data security schools already need to deal with, though I'd assume it's substantial, but it still seems like a best practice to keep as little sensitive info as is necessary. I understand doctors clearing kids for sports, but if there's a page that says "this kid is fine to play" and two pages of other medical info, it makes much more sense to me to just keep that last page, as it seems other states do. Why even bother putting yourself in that position to be responsible for info that you don't otherwise need?

33 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

At my workplace we avoid storing customers payment details because the nature of our work doesn't really lend itself to repeat purchases, but also because we don't want to be responsible for that info. If you're keeping credit card and other payment data, all the sudden you have to be far more careful with your data. You're a bigger target for hacks, there's the possibility of employee impropriety, and there are standards you need to adhere to.

I don't know what kind of data security schools already need to deal with, though I'd assume it's substantial, but it still seems like a best practice to keep as little sensitive info as is necessary. I understand doctors clearing kids for sports, but if there's a page that says "this kid is fine to play" and two pages of other medical info, it makes much more sense to me to just keep that last page, as it seems other states do. Why even bother putting yourself in that position to be responsible for info that you don't otherwise need?

Unfortunately in this case, the article says that the company storing all of this medical info does not need to comply with HIPAA because it's technically a tech company, not a medical company. So...not only is there no legit basis to even have this data, but they also will not be able to refuse requests for the data if made by the state government through proper channels.