(Possibly Alarmist) Humans May Not Be Able to Reproduce Naturally Much Longer, Scientist Warns

1*GHZHWwrBxT7BIcza1v0yUg.jpeg
FUTUREHUMAN.MEDIUM.COM

Everyday chemicals are threatening the future of human fertility

Many men today have just half the number of sperm their grandfathers had. The shocking discovery was published in 2017 by Shanna Swan, PhD, an environmental and reproductive epidemiologist at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York.

After analyzing 185 studies involving nearly 45,000 healthy men, Swan and her team found that over the past four decades, sperm counts among men in Western countries had dropped by more than 50%.

Why the huge decline? Swan says many factors are at play — alcohol use, smoking, body weight, and a lack of exercise are a few. But she has zeroed in on another, more insidious cause: exposure to common chemicals that interfere with the body’s production of hormones.

Swan has been studying these so-called endocrine disruptors for the past 30 years. And it turns out men’s sperm isn’t the only thing they affect: They may be changing human sexual development and reproduction in broader ways, too. In girls, exposure to such chemicals has been linked to earlier onset of puberty. Women, meanwhile, are experiencing a decline in egg quality and more miscarriages.

Overall, reduced population is a good thing! Fortunately we were headed this way anyway due to developing nations slowly lowering their birth rates as they become developed.

1. Reduced population is not a good thing. Malthusian attitudes should be done away with. 

2. This sounds needlessly alarming and probably counterfactual. 

3. It's focus is on western men, which again not only feeds into this being alarmist/counterfactual, but also very racist in that "Fourteen Words" kind of way. 

4. For all the criticism I have, I will echo that Children of Men is not only prescient in its criticism, but prophetic in its vision. I can't bear to rewatch it. 

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I'm curious of your opinions on this. Do you support continued expansion of the population? Or around what we have now? I'm curious of your reasons.

I support no artificial increase or decrease of populations. The problems we face are of resource distribution, not overpopulation or underpopulation. 

There's no justification for slowing or speeding up natural population change that doesn't line up with either Malthusian attitudes about population, or misreads of material conditions at some point or another.

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

I support no artificial increase or decrease of populations. The problems we face are of resource distribution, not overpopulation or underpopulation. 

There's no justification for slowing or speeding up natural population change that doesn't line up with either Malthusian attitudes about population, or misreads of material conditions at some point or another.

Agreed. But ya know have to keep kids/families hungry for dat C.R.E.A.M.