Biden's Education Department just wiped out $3.9 billion in student debt for remaining borrowers defrauded by ITT Tech, to date Biden admin's wiped out $32 billion in student loans for 1.6 million borrowers

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Certainly not. I am genuinely interested in how people end up in such places. As I mentioned, in the US we have community colleges all over the place that provide real educations for reasonable prices, so I wonder how people pass over that option for these for profit schools which are more expensive anyway.

With ITT I think it was their huge constant marketing and the fact that their "campuses" were literally everywhere.  You hear in school tech jobs are what you need to go for to make good money, TV after school is just a deluge of ITT ads.  I remember their advertising being fairly ubiquitous in the late 90s to earl 2000s, it's not too surprising that they pulled in plenty of people.

43 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I went to the 13th grade and it worked out for me! My entire college experience was being absurdly lucky and still pissing it all away because endless adults told me hey you’re young don’t be in a rush to join the rat race. So I wasn’t. Yeah fuck everyone who told me that.

I’m doing the exact opposite with my kids, get a degree in something useful and do it before you turn 20.

Put yourself in these shoes:

It's the late 90s or early 00s. You're largely on your own throughout your teenage years. You watch a lot of daytime TV because there's not much to do on summer break in your small town. You don't really have a lot of adult guidance or your parents never went to college. You're approaching graduation or have graduated and you're working a minimum wage job with no prospect of upward mobility at work or in life. Hell, maybe you're even going to the local community college but can't relate to all of these required classes you're taking and you just want to be a game developer as quickly as possible. Suddenly all those commercials you saw between reruns of Judge Reinhold start to sound appealing. Maybe you'll look into it.

This was me. Except I did have adult guidance and parents who went to college and my dad talked some sense into me before some sales guy at one of these "schools" took advantage of my eagerness, boredom, and naivete. It's easy to see it all as a scam now once you go out and get some life experience but as a barely legal adult desperate for advancement in life it seems like a viable path. Because these places are predatory.

So instead I went on a Mormon mission then came back and went to a real college. Maybe the GB in the universe where I went to ITT is happier who knows.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Halal 2

• 6 months later...
27 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

From what I gather, ACB doesn't seem to buy that the parties have standing.

I'm guessing that this will be 5-4 with ACB voting with the liberals.

If that happens I will go out and bang the first church girl I can find. Praise JEBUS!

• Haha 3