Mel Gibson’s New Police Brutality Movie Is a Vile, Racist Right-Wing Fantasy

Jason

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm not surprised by Gibson continuing to be a piece of shit, but how in the fuck does something like this get the green light to be made?

Because we now live in a world where this is in some measure acceptable, and there's real money to be made from emboldened fringe groups that would proudly walk in broad daylight into a theater to see this.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I don't believe the movie could be right wing? Writer/director S. Craig Zahler did the excellent Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99. Am I missing something here? Is Zahler an alt-right racist now?

Yea, I feel like the author has a specific bone with Gibson, and I get how his past kinda makes him deserve it, but Zahler doesn't strike me that way. Maybe he is, I don't know. The article ends with this:

Defenders of Dragged will argue that its general sense of nihilism—or its ending—will justify such hate. They’ll be wrong. This is one ugly film. And at 158 minutes, with a script that shoehorns words like “assuage” and “lament” into its tough-guy banter, it’s a chore to get through. 

Maybe he was trying to make a point about police brutality and show the underbelly of American society, but either missed or the author missed it? I would like to read more impressions.

30 minutes ago, Wild said:

Yea, I feel like the author has a specific bone with Gibson, and I get how his past kinda makes him deserve it, but Zahler doesn't strike me that way. Maybe he is, I don't know. The article ends with this:

Maybe he was trying to make a point about police brutality and show the underbelly of American society, but either missed or the author missed it? I would like to read more impressions.

I would as well, as based on his previous two movies this take is very surprising. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I don't believe the movie could be right wing? Writer/director S. Craig Zahler did the excellent Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99. Am I missing something here? Is Zahler an alt-right racist now?

2 hours ago, Wild said:

All the stuff mentioned in the article might be played for horrific or played for funny. Or anything in between. I don't think we can know without seeing the movie. 

3 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

All the stuff mentioned in the article might be played for horrific or played for funny. Or anything in between. I don't think we can know without seeing the movie. 

Right, thats what I am getting at. Need to see more takes on it. Other reviews describe it as his usual brutalness (and actually scaled back a bit). This is the only one I ca find that seems to think it's a "right wing fantasy" and that the main characters are somehow played for heroes.

• Thanks 1