Sign in to follow this  
SFLUFAN

Teachers in North Carolina are revolting

17 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I was just in Charlotte last week. I've been to airports in third-world countries and they were all nicer than Charlotte's.

Those teachers aren't getting squat. :/

CLT is not that bad. If you want to see crappy airports, then go to Reagan or LaGuardia

50 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I was just in Charlotte last week. I've been to airports in third-world countries and they were all nicer than Charlotte's.

Those teachers aren't getting squat. :/

When I was there over the summer they were remodeling a terminal and it felt like a set from the Terminator...All of the wiring and steel was exposed and it was so hot and crowded you could barely breathe.

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Is there any evidence that teacher pay has a causal relationship to student performance?

Not that I'm aware of but I went to East Carolina, which is known as a Teaching College, and I knew many Education Majors who quit after their first year because they were making $25k at the time. Some quit after their internship where you pay to be an Assistant Teacher for 40hr a week plus classes. My roommate's lead Teacher left for Maternity Leave 2 weeks in leaving her alone with a string of random untrained Substitutes, she ended up just taking over the Kindergarten class herself (30 kids plus several yet to be diagnosed Special Needs kids) for zero pay. The low pay plus the insane poverty levels of the students and the insane administration requirements (full academically cited daily lesson plans had to be posted on the classroom door for random inspection) drove a lot of newly graduated NC Teachers to be Nannies where they made significantly more. 

9 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

Image result

So at any given dollar eange of spending, you have a spread of 20-50 percentile points? That’s barely even correlation.

But I’m not sure comparisons of wildly different schooling systems tells anything anyway. I’m thinking more along the lines of school district paid X dollars, gave a raise/cut to Y dollars, performance changed on that basis.

Every time I’ve read an article about teacher pay cuts or increases and the resulting performance changes, it’s always been paired with other changes. Changes in class size, changes in teacher development, changes in resources for students. That’s why I’m curious about evidence of performance related specifically to pay by itself. 

Maybe the problem is that a significant increase in teacher teacher pay would take time to show up in student performance. I could imagine that if starting pay for a teacher was double what it is now in more districts, the number of high achieving high school students that choose education as their career path would change. Four years down the line we would see those better students entering the teacher force and the talent pool would get better.

I don’t know. I just think “pay them more” is assumed to be a soloution to most labor related problems, and it isn’t always that clear.

In the US the problem is more along the lines of states paying teachers so little they can't afford to be teachers, at least in that state.

3 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

In the US the problem is more along the lines of states paying teachers so little they can't afford to be teachers, at least in that state.

I was listening to the radio yesterday (NPR) and they were interviewing this teacher couple that both teach full time and then have part time jobs in the evening. They're pregnant and when the wife has the child she's going to stop working. Then they'll be screwed. This was a teacher couple in NC too.

My cousin is there participating.  She's been posting pictures from the rally throughout the day.

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I was listening to the radio yesterday (NPR) and they were interviewing this teacher couple that both teach full time and then have part time jobs in the evening. They're pregnant and when the wife has the child she's going to stop working. Then they'll be screwed. This was a teacher couple in NC too.

Yeah, daycare is quite literally half of my wife's take home pay. Another kid is out of the question unless we can find another $1300 a month somehow, and that's just for daycare. Additional food, diapers, etc isn't included in that. We'd get close if we didn't have student loans to pay. 

Yup, daycare suxxxxx... we were paying about $2,500 a month for our two kids at the peak.

One of many reasons I don't want kids. Neither of us have family in the immediate area and I don't want to shell out a good portion of my income for child care.