GuyWhoPredictsThings

Solo: A Star Wars Story - Official "I Wish This Was a Lando Movie" Thread

In other words, just like all initial reactions to every movie: "It was SO good! Please, Disney, invite me to future releases!"

It might be great or it might be crap, but initial reactions can't be trusted today.

21 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

In other words, just like all initial reactions to every movie: "It was SO good! Please, Disney, invite me to future releases!"

It might be great or it might be crap, but initial reactions can't be trusted today.

I actually don't remember the last early reactions that differed significantly from the critical reaction, though I admit I don't follow as many movies now.

I was skeptical given how things have gone down, but the last trailer helped a lot with good will. Plus Ron Howard seems he is in Rush mode, not Da Vinci Code mode, so that helps like a thousand percent. 

I've been reading some pretty mixed reactions, but no one seems ready to say it's terrible. Given all the trouble this one had and my rather low desire for a Han origin story, I'll be happy with an ok movie.

I think it'll be just fine. I'm looking forward to just a nice, fun Star Wars spin-off movie. 

RT score is currently at 73% with a 6.5/10 average. 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/solo_a_star_wars_story

Critics Consensus: A flawed yet fun and fast-paced space adventure, Solo: A Star Wars Story should satisfy newcomers to the saga as well as longtime fans who check their expectations at the theater door.

Lowest rated Disney SW film so far, but it doesn't seem like a complete disaster as many were expecting.

5 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Pretty hard to be as disastrous as TLJ but still, I'll wait ... Last Jedi really sucked out most of the love I have for Star Wars which hurts so much!

It's hard to be as disastrous as a great movie. :whistlin:

10 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Wait, what?

Reviews are saying that this movie is obviously setting up sequels and Alden recently confirmed that his contract is for three movies.

Even if this turns out to be good a trilogy seems unnecessary. A one-and-done seems more appropriate.

13 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Pretty hard to be as disastrous as TLJ but still, I'll wait ... Last Jedi really sucked out most of the love I have for Star Wars which hurts so much!

4142122-8979385701-a302a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Komusha said:

Reviews are saying that this movie is obviously setting up sequels and Alden recently confirmed that his contract is for three movies.

Even if this turns out to be good a trilogy seems unnecessary. A one-and-done seems more appropriate.

Yeah I have to agree.

Alden signed on to do up to three Star Wars movies. That could be in a Solo sequel, something else entirely, or Disney May never exercise the option. The studios sign these kind of deals for their big IP all the time because they like to lock in the quote on talent before their franchise potentially drives it up. Usually there isn’t any intention to make the other films, but it helps keep production cost down for subsequent films.

Marvel for example has probably saved a literal billion dollars in above the line cost by locking in young actors to like 17 picture deals :lol:

16 hours ago, SoberChef said:

da fuq outta here.....

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Alden signed on to do up to three Star Wars movies. That could be in a Solo sequel, something else entirely, or Disney May never exercise the option. The studios sign these kind of deals for their big IP all the time because they like to lock in the quote on talent before their franchise potentially drives it up. Usually there isn’t any intention to make the other films, but it helps keep production cost down for subsequent films.

Marvel for example has probably saved a literal billion dollars in above the line cost by locking in young actors to like 17 picture deals :lol:

I'm sure when they do a "Lando" movie, Mr. Solo will make a significant appearance in that as well.  So 2 out of 3.

Jeremy Jahns threw up his video review, and his opinion pretty much lines up with how the previews of this movie have been looking to me. And honestly, I really don't care about this movie or this franchise after TLJ, but it'll be interesting to see how people feel about this move in the next five years. By then we'll be far enough away from TLJ and the fans that are overly attacking it and overly protecting it, and there (hopefully) won't won't be so many jaded reviews that are inserting pro and con comments based on the sake of the franchise as a whole.

I don't want this thread to go off the rails, but WTF does TLJ have to do with this movie? It'd be like saying that you're not interested in Logan because X-Men: Apocalypse sucked. If you didn't like TLJ, that's a shame, but people keep bringing it up as if it deeply harmed them and they don't want to be triggered by anything remotely related. It's weird.

Anyways, I've got my tickets to see it opening weekend. As unimpressed as I've been by the trailers, it's still a Star Wars movie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

I am not really interested in this at all. It has nothing to do with TLJ as much as it has to do with a story that isn't necessary to tell. With Rogue One, you learned about a piece of the puzzle that you didn't know before. With this film, it seems like a cash grab more than anything. 

I'm going to go into it with an open mind, which is really how everyone should go into it. 

On 5/15/2018 at 10:41 AM, GuyWhoPredictsThings said:

I actually don't remember the last early reactions that differed significantly from the critical reaction, though I admit I don't follow as many movies now.

The Avengers: Age of Ultron early reactions definitely differed from how that movie was eventually received.

54 minutes ago, Komusha said:

The Avengers: Age of Ultron early reactions definitely differed from how that movie was eventually received.

I don't place as much stock in this stuff as you guys do but on RT, Age of Ultron has an audience score of 85% which is good right? Seems to track with early impressions of the film from what I remember.

16 hours ago, Brick said:

I'm going to go into it with an open mind, which is really how everyone should go into it. 

They should, but the internet made up its mind about this movie MONTHS ago. See some of the comments in this thread. Its honestly why I don't take a lot of folks opinions on movies even REMOTELY seriously... they're judging them on shit that has very little to do with the movie itself.

12 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I don't place as much stock in this stuff as you guys do but on RT, Age of Ultron has an audience score of 85% which is good right? Seems to track with early impressions of the film from what I remember.

They should, but the internet made up its mind about this movie MONTHS ago. See some of the comments in this thread. Its honestly why I don't take a lot of folks opinions on movies even REMOTELY seriously... they're judging them on shit that has very little to do with the movie itself.

Age of Ultron has a score of 7.4 on IMDB, one of the lowest for a MCU movie. For comparison, Infinity War has a 8.8 rating (probably will drop to a 8.5 eventually).  

Age of Ultron is the film that made me lose interest in MCU for the longest time because the film ended up being nothing like what the trailers suggested. 

6 minutes ago, Dragonseeker said:

Age of Ultron has a score of 7.4 on IMDB, one of the lowest for a MCU movie. For comparison, Infinity War has a 8.8 rating (probably will drop to a 8.5 eventually).  

Age of Ultron is the film that made me lose interest in MCU for the longest time because the film ended up being nothing like what the trailers suggested. 

So... does IMDB trump Rotten Tomatoes? That wasn't my point anyway. Age of Ultron, while scoring lower than most other Marvel movies, is STILL looked at positively especially amongst audiences. 7.5 is not a failing grade.