Sign in to follow this  
Jason

John Carmack: My Steve Jobs Stories

I said that OS-X was surely being used for things that were more security critical than a phone, and if Apple couldn’t provide enough security there, they had bigger problems. He came back with a snide “You’re a smart guy John, why don’t you write a new OS?” At the time, my thought was, “Fuck you, Steve.”.

Yeah, that sounds like the actual Steve Jobs. Charming at times, ruthless, self serving, bipolar, narcissistic, abusive, and delusional. I remember, before iphones and his death, when it was common knowledge that the dude was a total asshole. This was before the cult of Apple. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yeah, that sounds like the actual Steve Jobs. Charming at times, ruthless, self serving, bipolar, narcissistic, abusive, and delusional. I remember, before iphones and his death, when it was common knowledge that the dude was a total asshole. This was before the cult of Apple. 

He had a singular vision and went after it.  If you were in his way, he went over or through you.  These are good traits to have in certain situations, terrible at other times.  

It was often frustrating, because he could talk, with complete confidence, about things he was just plain wrong about, like the price of memory for video cards and the amount of system bandwidth exploitable by the AltiVec extensions.

I've run into this trait with a number of very successful people, and it's something I've never been able to identify with. I've always been curious if it's a result of having achieved success and bought into your own brilliance, or if it's a commonality that aided in that success. I can certainly see why having such unearned confidence could be useful.

26 minutes ago, Mithan said:

He had a singular vision and went after it.  If you were in his way, he went over or through you.  These are good traits to have in certain situations, terrible at other times.  

True, but he was still a paranoid prick. :P

13 hours ago, Reputator said:

That was a great read!

I find most John C interviews to be pretty great, he's a great combination of sharp, mellow, and direct. 

20 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I find most John C interviews to be pretty great, he's a great combination of sharp, mellow, and direct. 

I would love to read a book by him if he ever wrote one.

52 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I would love to read a book by him if he ever wrote one.

Its not written by him, he is interviewed extensively in this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Masters-Doom-Created-Transformed-Culture/dp/0812972155