BMW is going to charge a monthly subscription fee to be able to use your heated seats

I wonder how fast someone will be able to hack this bullshit idea and make it free like everyone else who has this option built into their fucking vehicle. It’s a godsend when the winter months act like actual winter, plus a heated steering wheel is the icing on top of that.

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

I wonder how fast someone will be able to hack this bullshit idea and make it free like everyone else who has this option built into their fucking vehicle. It’s a godsend when the winter months act like actual winter, plus a heated steering wheel is the icing on top of that.

This is basically on-disc dlc, but for cars

• Like 1
  • True 1

I feel like a cheaper car company would have been pulling these shenanigans before a luxury/performance brand.  I could see it maybe being a good thing if it magically made the car cheaper in price. Having heated seats in some climates is kind of a waste anyway. But we all know putting a feature behind a pay wall isn't going to make their vehicles any cheaper so fuck them.

8 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I feel like a cheaper car company would have been pulling these shenanigans before a luxury/performance brand.  I could see it maybe being a good thing if it magically made the car cheaper in price. Having heated seats in some climates is kind of a waste anyway. But we all know putting a feature behind a pay wall isn't going to make their vehicles any cheaper so fuck them.

I think BMW was the first to do this previously, they are or were doing it with wireless apple CarPlay. You need to do a yearly sub for it to work.

33 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

They didnt

P1010037-scaled.jpg
DRIVING.CA

Automaker offering three- to ten-year free trials of connected services available on 2018-and-newer vehicles

I think they did actually

toyota-key-fob-remote-start-follow.jpg?q
WWW.THEDRIVE.COM

A spokesperson told The Drive that making the key fob remote start part of a subscription plan was an “unintentional” move.

3 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I think they did actually

toyota-key-fob-remote-start-follow.jpg?q
WWW.THEDRIVE.COM

A spokesperson told The Drive that making the key fob remote start part of a subscription plan was an “unintentional” move.

Per the title of the article  you linked says they are reviewing 

and in the article itself

Finally, Toyota has heard the outrage over the last week—a spokesperson told us the company was caught off guard by the blowback—and its executive team is currently examining whether it's possible to reverse course and drop the subscription requirement for key fob remote start.

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

Per the title of the article  you linked says they are reviewing 

and in the article itself

Finally, Toyota has heard the outrage over the last week—a spokesperson told us the company was caught off guard by the blowback—and its executive team is currently examining whether it's possible to reverse course and drop the subscription requirement for key fob remote start.

Yeah. So not implemented yet. And of course they can drop it if it's tied to a phone app.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Car model differentiation is pretty dumb as is, this is just nakedly abusive instead of covertly so

I've spent a lot of time thinking about car model differentiation and I've come to the conclusion that it's wildly manipulative and we just kind of... accept it.

53 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I've spent a lot of time thinking about car model differentiation and I've come to the conclusion that it's wildly manipulative and we just kind of... accept it.

Car dealerships are universally hated but god forbid you try to make it so you don't need a car in the first place.

I think these companies got bold when they saw people willing to pay more to activate GPS navigation when all the hardware is in the car already. 

really it’s electric cars where this makes the most sense. Car audio packs. Dashboard appearance packs. Sports pack where the electric engine and car audio will mimic a non-electric sports car the same way a racing game does (engine sounds, revs and gear changes). Then sell the sports pack for different “genres”. Like Italian (Ferrari), German (Porsche), American Pony (Mustang), etc. whatever. Star Wars pack gets you tie fighter and millennium Falcon engine sounds and other in car audio cues.