Sign in to follow this  
Jason

On your browser, do tweets quoting other tweets embed the quoted tweet or just provide a link to them?

Also, what browser and platform are you on?

With this tweet for example:

For me, the quoted Palin tweet does embed while I'm on Chrome for Android, but doesn't embed when using either Firefox or Chrome on Windows 10. I'm hoping for some feedback so I can try to figure out what's going on with this so that the number of tweets that get posted to a thread doesn't get artificially inflated by trying to get both tweets to render (more tweets = more page jumping around while they render).

Chrome on Android:

10IST6r.png

Firefox on Windows 10:

pSn4xjc.png

On my work laptop using Chrome and Windows 7, the Palin tweet is a link and not embedded.

They're all embedded on my mobile Safari. I'll check other browsers tonight. 

13 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

They're all embedded on my mobile Safari. I'll check other browsers tonight. 

I'll do the same at home with my Windows 10 machine.

Embeds correctly for me

image.png

Chrome Version 66.0.3359.139 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Windows 10 Pro, Version 1709 Build 16299.371

I also have my shiny new MPB where I can test it on Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera, and Vivaldi. 

7 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Embeds correctly for me

image.png

Thanks. Since it's desktop I'm assuming no Twitter app installed and that you my use Twitter through the browser (if you use it at all), right? 

I've seen it both ways, depends on the tweet.

Edit: I guess that is to say direct replies to tweets show the other tweet, tweets with the link to the tweet just show a link.

2 hours ago, Rodimus said:

Here is what I see on mac. Safari 11.1

Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 7.00.25 PM.png

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I've seen it both ways, depends on the tweet.

Edit: I guess that is to say direct replies to tweets show the other tweet, tweets with the link to the tweet just show a link.

Yeah, on all devices, direct replies to tweet render the tweet it's replying to, but any links or media included in the first tweet don't embed but rather just show as links. It's just quote-tweets that sometimes embed and sometimes don't, and I think it might be new behavior because unless I just wasn't paying attention I don't think it used to embed on Chrome for Android.

10 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Embeds correctly for me

image.png

Well this is weird. I'm on Windows 10 Pro, Version 1709, Build 16299.431:

• Firefox 59.0.3 and 60.0, both 64-bit, don't embed. Tried safe mode, still didn't embed.
  • Edge doesn't embed
  • Chrome (same build as Twinion) doesn't embed.

Mac OS 10.12.6:

• Firefox 60.0, doesn't embed.
  • Safari 11.1 doesn't embed.
  • Chrome (same build as Twinion), doesn't embed.

16 hours ago, Jason said:

Thanks. Since it's desktop I'm assuming no Twitter app installed and that you my use Twitter through the browser (if you use it at all), right? 

Yeah, I use twitter through the browser. I did check and I do have the Twitter app installed, but I'm not logged in.

12 hours ago, Jason said:

Well this is weird. I'm on Windows 10 Pro, Version 1709, Build 16299.431:

• Firefox 59.0.3 and 60.0, both 64-bit, don't embed. Tried safe mode, still didn't embed.
  • Edge doesn't embed
  • Chrome (same build as Twinion) doesn't embed.

I tried Firefox 59.03 (64 bit) and Edge, and both embed correctly.

My first thought was an extension (I use uBlock on FF and Chrome and ABP on Edge), but if it's happening across devices that doesn't make sense. Have you tried it on different networks? (like tethering to your phone) Do you run adblock filtering at the network level? (I use PiHole at home and it doesn't seem to interfere with this)

Tried this page across all my platforms and browsers, and the ONLY time it didn't appear properly was in Firefox on Mac.

The ones that did work:

Win10: Chrome, Edge

Mac OS: Chrome, Safari, Opera, Vivaldi

6 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Yeah, I use twitter through the browser. I did check and I do have the Twitter app installed, but I'm not logged in.

I tried Firefox 59.03 (64 bit) and Edge, and both embed correctly.

My first thought was an extension (I use uBlock on FF and Chrome and ABP on Edge), but if it's happening across devices that doesn't make sense. Have you tried it on different networks? (like tethering to your phone) Do you run adblock filtering at the network level? (I use PiHole at home and it doesn't seem to interfere with this)

The only thing I've got set up at the network level is to use 1.1.1.1 as my DNS. Phone is the same on mobile and wifi. Work MBP is the same at home and at work. Home desktop, I don't have a way to hook my home desktop up to another network, but I did specifically try Firefox in safe mode because I know I can get weird rendering issues from uBlock Origin, NoScript, etc.