SFLUFAN

~*Westworld: Season 2 Discussion Thread*~

I'm going to Cambodia for a month next week. Can't decide if  I should start this or wait until I get back and binge to catch up. On the one hand, I'll only be teasing myself. On the other hand, some jackass on the plane will probably spoil it all on my flight home...

thought it was a good opener.  Ed Harris is great in this.  His excitement that the hosts can now fight back for real is good.  the time line fuckery is back but that is ok and based on the season preview we might get some flashback to modern time since young william was shown.

Cant wait to see some more of Shogun World

4 hours ago, Wild said:

I'm going to Cambodia for a month next week. Can't decide if  I should start this or wait until I get back and binge to catch up. On the one hand, I'll only be teasing myself. On the other hand, some jackass on the plane will probably spoil it all on my flight home...

Off topic, but I’m very jealous. I miss Cambodia. Where are you going? Is it your first time?

I thought that was a great first episode of the season. They covered a whole lot, and opened up a ton of mysteries. I wonder how long it'll be before Bernard's two timelines converge. I can imagine them spending most of the season going through those two weeks, or it might only last a few episodes while they introduce some other things (like more William flashbacks).

6 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

also this was the first time they confirmed they were on an island correct?  somewhere around china?

AN ISLAND?!?

Geeze, I thought this was "off-world" :P

53 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

AN ISLAND?!?

Geeze, I thought this was "off-world" :P

well i guess maybe they technically could still be but near the beginning when the delos official was talking to the chinese army guy he said something about island.

Yeah they are definitely on an Island... whether that Island is on Earth or not is the question :P I thought it was a very solid opener as well and I'm looking forward to this season. People forget that the first season started VERY slowly and didn't pick up until late in the season. I was about to give up on the show entirely after episode 4 last season. There just wasn't enough stuff happening. They've picked up the pace a bit later in the season and have done so with the first episode of this season as well. I'm curious to find out what happened to Charlotte Hale (Tessa Thompson) Solid start.

I really enjoyed the premiere. Season 1 was top-tier television for me, so I'm looking forward to a great season 2, and the opening episode shows we seem to be in safe hands. 

On 4/23/2018 at 11:37 AM, Kal-El814 said:

Off topic, but I’m very jealous. I miss Cambodia. Where are you going? Is it your first time?

Yea, my first time. I'll be starting in Phnom Penh, then heading up to Siem Reap/Angkor Wat. After that it's a couple wide open weeks. WIll probably go get lost on one of the islands for one of them.

Any things I should definitely see, or cool stuff off the beaten path? I have a rather flexible itinerary (just want to get the temples and national museum/genocide study out of the way early so I can give them the needed time).

49 minutes ago, Wild said:

Yea, my first time. I'll be starting in Phnom Penh, then heading up to Siem Reap/Angkor Wat. After that it's a couple wide open weeks. WIll probably go get lost on one of the islands for one of them.

Any things I should definitely see, or cool stuff off the beaten path? I have a rather flexible itinerary (just want to get the temples and national museum/genocide study out of the way early so I can give them the needed time).

I was there in 2013 and there was so much development happening that I imagine it’s pretty different now.

Phnom Penh is a good time with great food. Siem Reap is a hot mess and there’s always a bunch of shit happening. The temples are almost all worth seeing... I forget the name of the one that has a lot of trees going through the ruins, but I thought it was incredible. 

Kep was great. Again a lot of development happening but we spent a few nights at the Veranda resort there chilling during the day, and then doing down to the water with a bunch of seafood and crab shacks to eat off the gulf of Thailand. If you can get there and assuming they haven’t pulled all the jungle down, it was incredible. The kampot pepper crab... mmm. 

Just bring malaria pills if you’re going to be in the temples or rural areas, eat adventurously, and enjoy. When I was there everyone asked for American cash so that was easy. Biggest cultural shock was that it was not uncommon to see people not treat animals kindly and some of the world’s nastiest people will be trying to sell you bottled water near Angkor Wat...

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I was there in 2013 and there was so much development happening that I imagine it’s pretty different now.

Phnom Penh is a good time with great food. Siem Reap is a hot mess and there’s always a bunch of shit happening. The temples are almost all worth seeing... I forget the name of the one that has a lot of trees going through the ruins, but I thought it was incredible. 

Kep was great. Again a lot of development happening but we spent a few nights at the Veranda resort there chilling during the day, and then doing down to the water with a bunch of seafood and crab shacks to eat off the gulf of Thailand. If you can get there and assuming they haven’t pulled all the jungle down, it was incredible. The kampot pepper crab... mmm. 

Just bring malaria pills if you’re going to be in the temples or rural areas, eat adventurously, and enjoy. When I was there everyone asked for American cash so that was easy. Biggest cultural shock was that it was not uncommon to see people not treat animals kindly and some of the world’s nastiest people will be trying to sell you bottled water near Angkor Wat...

I've read good things about Kep. Comes up a lot. May have to travel through there. I've heard Siem Reap is kind of a tourist trap so I'll probably move on from there quickly. Good to hear good impressions from travel though. I'll definitely be eating adventurously. Sadly I heard that the tarantula is becoming rarer in availability because of over consumption but if I find it I'm trying it.

Thanks for the tips!

Finally got to see the opener. Loved it. I love that it picks up right after season one instead like 6 months or a year later like most shows do. Ed Harris is absolute money.  This show is so seemless in how it handles paying off some mysteries while simultaneously creating more. So so good. 

Last night's episode was the first time where I almost felt the need to make notes as to which time period events were happening.  It really was terribly disjointed.

I love the continuing and ever escalating trolling that Ford is doing with William.

Did we know that Delos didn't build the tech themselves? I'm not sure how relevant that is, but it certainly seems like it might be important since we're getting some deep into the corporate intrigue.

So the next reveal that we can expect is probably the nature of whatever weapon that Dolores was talking about that William regrets. I'm guessing it's not a physical weapon, maybe it's the "black box" for Westworld? A datastore of secrets that Delos had monetized or at least planned to?

5 hours ago, TwinIon said:

So the next reveal that we can expect is probably the nature of whatever weapon that Dolores was talking about that William regrets. I'm guessing it's not a physical weapon, maybe it's the "black box" for Westworld? A datastore of secrets that Delos had monetized or at least planned to?

Here are the two most plausible theories regarding the "weapon":

- It's the data collected by Delos on the behavior of guests that can be used for blackmail/extortion ("This is the only place in the world where you get to see people for who they really are.")

- Recall the scene at Jim Delos's retirement party where Dolores meets Logan Delos outside after he has just shot up.  Logan says these lines: That, darling, is the sound of fools fiddling while the whole fucking species starts to burn. They lit the match. So here’s to you, assholes. May your forevers be blissfully short.  So, whatever it is, Logan appears convinced that it will be the end of humanity. Add this to the knowledge that Delos is harvesting the DNA of guests and you have a plausible idea that they might be working on something to the effect of human/host hybrids that could effectively be immortal ("May your forevers be blissfully short") and/or conceivably be controlled by Delos itself.  The guests are the elite of society so if Delos is able to replace them with a host clone that cannot be distinguished from the original, Delos effectively rules the world.

15 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

- It's the data collected by Delos on the behavior of guests that can be used for blackmail/extortion ("This is the only place in the world where you get to see people for who they really are.")

- Recall the scene at Jim Delos's retirement party where Dolores meets Logan Delos outside after he has just shot up.  Logan says these lines: That, darling, is the sound of fools fiddling while the whole fucking species starts to burn. They lit the match. So here’s to you, assholes. May your forevers be blissfully short.  So, whatever it is, Logan appears convinced that it will be the end of humanity. Add this to the knowledge that Delos is harvesting the DNA of guests and you have a plausible idea that they might be working on something to the effect of human/host hybrids that could effectively be immortal ("May your forevers be blissfully short") and/or conceivably be controlled by Delos itself.  The guests are the elite of society so if Delos is able to replace them with a host clone that cannot be distinguished from the original, Delos effectively rules the world.

My feeling it is both, actually. 

18 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

The latter also is consistent with the idea that Delos seems to be sick and running out of time and might be thinking that he can transition to a host's body.

Last night's assault by the Delos security forces on the host-occupied Fort Forlorn Hope was the stupidest damned thing I've seen on screen in ages.

Another good episode. I know we saw the tiger, but I wasn't expecting to see India world, and I'm still not sure why we got that. Still, with that ending I guess we're going to really open up possibilities as the parks hosts start to mingle.

I still think that Sizemore and Maeve are a great pairing, but man, he needs lean to keep his mouth shut. I can understand why he might think that Maeve and Hector's relationship can't be real, but dude, keep that to yourself.

6 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Last night's assault by the Delos security forces on the host-occupied Fort Forlorn Hope was the stupidest damned thing I've seen on screen in ages.

I thought the exact same thing! I don't care how well you think that you know what the situation is at the fort, why the hell would you assault it that way? Aren't these guys professional soldiers or something? The continued incompetence of Delos security is probably my biggest frustration with this season. I give them a pass when it came to being suddenly surrounded by a threat you didn't expect, but now they're going into a situation where they know there are hundreds of armed hostiles and they just walk in a straight line like they're redcoats that haven't realized war has changed. I'd much rather they just come up with more reasons that they don't have much of a security presence than keep throwing these idiots into an AI slaughter. It makes Dolores' strategizing seem trivial when her 22nd (?) century opponents seem to be using 18th century tactics. 

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

It makes Dolores' strategizing seem trivial when her 22nd (?) century opponents seem to be using 18th century tactics. 

Yo if you’re going to Westworld you’d better do it in a role play intensive way, even if you’re Delos. I’m not paying good money to fuck robots only to have a bunch of rent a cops fuck up my immersion.

On 5/7/2018 at 1:15 PM, TwinIon said:

Another good episode. I know we saw the tiger, but I wasn't expecting to see India world, and I'm still not sure why we got that. Still, with that ending I guess we're going to really open up possibilities as the parks hosts start to mingle.

What's interesting is all the parks we know of so far seem to imitate the 1880's regardless of where in the world they are - British colonial India, the wild west of America, or the end of the samurai era in Japan. I think that's a cool take. 

And yes, that assault on Fort Forlorn Hope by Delos Security was really stupid. If we're meant to take this war's stakes seriously they really shouldn't be straining credulity with how that war would really play out. 

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

What's interesting is all the parks we know of so far seem to imitate the 1880's regardless of where in the world they are - British colonial India, the wild west of America, or the end of the samurai era in Japan. I think that's a cool take. 

That's interesting that they're all set in the same era. I wouldn't think that there's any particular reason for that to be the case if you're designing these world from scratch. I'd expect other settings would be a medieval Europe or ancient Rome. I wonder if that time period consistency will hold and if it does if it has any particular reason behind it.

3 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

That's interesting that they're all set in the same era. I wouldn't think that there's any particular reason for that to be the case if you're designing these world from scratch. I'd expect other settings would be a medieval Europe or ancient Rome. I wonder if that time period consistency will hold and if it does if it has any particular reason behind it.

Yeah I'm curious to. I don't know why they'd all take place during the same era but I like the consistency of the idea. But I see no reason why parks would have to be stuck in that era alone either. 

So the parks are on a terraformed Mars, right? I'm thinking this is all set on Mars.