Sign in to follow this  
GuyWhoPredictsThings

PlayStation 5: when can Sony truly deliver a generational leap in power?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-in-theory-can-a-potential-ps5-deliver-a-generational-leap

Let's begin with timing. What we do know is that Mark Cerny has once again been hitting the road, talking to developers about their needs for the next-gen PlayStation. But in terms of when an actual retail console is likely to be delivered, there are two crucial technological hurdles that need to be cleared before production of a final unit can begin: that'll be the availability of a smaller, denser process for manufacturing the system's main processor, plus the necessity for newer, faster memory. In both cases, 2019 looks like the earliest possible time a generational leap in console power can be delivered, but other factors - system build cost, for example - may set that back further.

Q4 2019 is our first viable target for a proper generational leap in console power, but the price of that leap in technology looks daunting. Even in the here and now, the price bubbles in the PC component market are making the high cost of Xbox One X look a lot more attractive. But a relatively large 7nm processor with an Xbox One X-level cooling solution paired with a big upgrade in RAM and some kind of solid-state storage solution? That's a whole new level of expense - and financial viability more than any other factor may well push the arrival of a next-gen PlayStation or Xbox back to 2020.

I agree that it should be a 6-8x power leap from the base PS4 not the Pro. A system with better graphics than the Xbox One X and backwards compatibility will look REALLY good for Sony. As for Microsoft I think they are dead in the water next gen unfortunately.

It really doesn't make any sense for the PS5 to come out this year. So the real question is, 2019 or 2020? Also, Sony has learned that a console needs to cost $400, so what can we realistically expect out of a console at that price point next year? I know pushing things until 2020 makes it another 7 year generation but I'd rather wait that extra year if that's what it takes to get a true generational leap for $400.

I'm really curious to see what MS is planning for it's next console. Will they try and target the $400 price point, or will they keep to a $500 beast of a machine like they did with the 1X? I just hope both are able to make full BC available day 1 on the digital front at least. Besides more power, next gen needs to offer me the ability to download and play all the games I own from this gen on PSN and XBL on the next console at anytime. Otherwise, it really does diminish the value of digital purchases.

51 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Besides more power, next gen needs to offer me the ability to download and play all the games I own from this gen on PSN and XBL on the next console at anytime. Otherwise, it really does diminish the value of digital purchases.

While that certainly impacts digital purchases more, all purchases' values are lessened by this kind of shit. I own almost no console games simply because I know they'll be worthless in a few years. Maybe these mega conglomerates will grace me with the presence of some after-the-fact super-limited backwards compatibility on a couple games I own, but more than likely I'll be told to not give a shit about my old library. And I'm not a collector, I don't save old consoles, so that holds exactly 0 value to me.

Meanwhile I can still play --maybe with a little more work if they're super old-- every single PC game I've ever bought. I don't have to plug in some dusty old piece of shit or go digging through my closet for the luxury. That's not a "PC gaming is so great" thing, it's just that consoles should've fucking caught up by now. I have an extremely hard time believing this old DOS box game that was played on a fucking machine with a fucking 5-and-a-quarter floppy drive is more architecturally in line with my modern PC than a PS4 and a PS5 will be. But I guess I don't make consoles so who knows. I have a feeling they just don't allow this because they don't consider it a priority and that it actually becomes one of the negatives of "coding to the metal," when the metal is no longer the same. I wonder how viable, or even if remotely possible something like a secondary method of running the game when it no longer detects the original hardware would be. Like "Oh, PS4 hardware not found, run game in generic platform mode."