Dodger

God of War - Reviews and Discussion thread (NO SPOILERS AT ALL!)

Reviews tomorrow bitches. I should probably pre-order digitally before Sunday since I assume the pre-load will still be Sunday. 

3DJuegos: 9.5/10
Ars Technica: Buy It

How to reinvent a beloved series without ruining what works

Attack of the Fanboy: 4/5
Destructoid: 10/10

EasyAllies: 10/10

God of War doesn’t just feel like the next step for the franchise, but for the entire video game industry. Phenomenal visuals, rewarding exploration, and a deep, nuanced combat system contribute to an epic adventure that should be experienced by every human on earth. Santa Monica Studio is taking us all to Valhalla.

EGM: 9.5/10

Developer Santa Monica Studio had the guts to try something new with God of War, and just as fans had hoped, that risk seriously paid off.

Eurogamer: Recommended

Yes. Like Kratos, the god of fury who must learn not to fear his son, this is a strange beast, really. The latest technology and astonishing craft and artistry are employed to deliver a game of extremely simple pleasures - a wash of new pseudo-ideas that cannot hide the fact that the basics remain unfixed because they were not broken. God of War dresses things up, in other words, but it is ultimately the same deal it always was. As is the way with myths, I guess. As is the way with gods.

Forbes: 9.5/10

The Best God Of War Game In A Decade

GameInformer: 9.75/10

Kratos’ reinvention serves as a narrative hook, but it also parallels the series’ evolution as a whole; where God of War once relied on bombast and bloodlust, now it leaves space for strategy and nuance. It still has superb action and plenty of jaw-dropping moments, but it supports them with a new level of depth and maturity. God of War learns from its past while clearing an exciting path for the future, and emerges as one of the best games of this generation.

GameKult: 8/10
Gamepro: 9.3/10
GamesRadar: 5/5
GameSpot: 9/10

God of War is no longer an old-fashioned action series. With this reboot, it confidently walks a new path that will hopefully lead to more exciting adventures to come.

GiantBomb: 5/5

I was excited for a new take on God of War, but I don’t think I could have expected what Sony Santa Monica pulled off with this one. Those first three games are among my favorite games of the 2000s thanks to their visceral combat, stunning environments, grand scale, satisfying upgrades, and memorable boss fights. I even loved the skin deep, silly nature of its narrative and violence. This new entry proves that it can provide all of the positive qualities of the franchise’s past while expanding on and evolving them in every conceivable way. The new combat system is excellent, the numerous puzzles are clever and rewarding, a more open format gives you plenty of reason to explore, and the entire adventure is at least three times longer than any of the original games without ever feeling padded out.

God is a Geek: 10/10

One of the best games on PS4, and one of the best games of this generation. A masterpiece.

Hardcore Gamer: 4.5/5
IGN: 10/10

I expected great action from God of War, and it delivers that handily. But I didn’t expect it to be a thrilling journey in which every aspect of it complements the others to form what is nothing short of a masterpiece. It’s a game in which Kratos, a previously one-note character, becomes a complex father, warrior, and monster, embattled both on the field and within his own heart about how to treat his son; one in which the world opens up and shifts, offering rewards in both gameplay and knowledge of its lore that I treasured with each accomplishment. The obvious care that went into crafting its world, characters, and gameplay delivers by far the most stirring and memorable game in the series.

Jeuxvideo: 20/20
Kotaku: Very Positive

2018's God of War seems more content to borrow from other successful recent games: it’s a little bit Witcher, a little bit Dark Souls, a little bit The Last Of Us, and a little bit old-school God of War. It feels like more of a trend follower than a trendsetter, a pastiche of ideas. But they are good ideas, done well enough to bring a once-stale series back up from the depths of Helheim.

Metro: 9/10
PlayStation Lifestyle: 10/10
PlayStation Universe: 9.5/10
Polygon: 10/10

Some die-hard fans may fear this isn’t really God of War. I suppose they’re right. It’s even better.

PushSquare: 10/10

Telegraph: 10/10

One of the most gorgeous, spectacular and impactful blockbusters of the generation

The Guardian: 5/5

"violent, vital and more brilliant than ever"

TheSixthAxis: 8/10
Twinfinite: 4/5

USgamer: 5/5

This is how you do a reboot. After Kratos lost his way, Sony Santa Monica has set the God of War on a new path. A more measure, nuanced character, a great supporting cast, an excellent combat system, and some of the best graphics in the PlayStation 4 game to-date add up to a winner.

Variety:

t’s the first time the series has felt vibrant and important in a decade.

Waypoint:

"A triumphant reinvention"

Wccftech: 10/10
WWG: 5/5
Videogamer: 9/10

Holy shit. Not that reviews were going to suddenly make me not want to play this game if they were negative, but damn.

3 minutes ago, GuyWhoPredictsThings said:

Did you just say we should lock the thread in that second one? :lol::P 

Lol.  I just saw something dancing in the emoticons.  Didn't spend enough attention to see that it was a lock!  :lock:

5 hours ago, GuyWhoPredictsThings said:

holy fuckING SHISTHSITHISHTIST

Remember when IGN gave the original God of War a 10? It was good times. Got my digital pre-order in last night so I should be ready to play next Thursday at 9 pm

Just now, Dodger said:

Remember when IGN gave the original God of War a 10? It was good times. Got my digital pre-order in last night so I should be ready to play next Thursday at 9 pm

I remember knowing a bit about it from an EGM E3 2004 preview (just a blurb), seeing reviews and buying it on a whim.

And now here I am. :lol: 

13 minutes ago, GuyWhoPredictsThings said:

I remember knowing a bit about it from an EGM E3 2004 preview (just a blurb), seeing reviews and buying it on a whim.

And now here I am. :lol: 

Yeah I had barely heard about it and then went on IGN one day saw the 10/10 review and was like damn I barely even know anything about this game. Then I bought it and had a ton of fun with it. 

2 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Yeah I had barely heard about it and then went on IGN one day saw the 10/10 review and was like damn I barely even know anything about this game. Then I bought it and had a ton of fun with it. 

I've thought about it, and I feel God of War was to Sony Santa Monica as Uncharted 2 was for Naughty Dog and Horizon Zero Dawn was for Guerrilla. If you watch the clip of Uncharted 2 from E3 2009, the Naughty Dog label didn't get people as excited at that point. Santa Monica had done Kinetica up to that point before God of War released. Horizon reached a level of success no Killzone did.

I see any of those labels now and I get tingly. :] 

Goddamnit. I wish the embargo would have been next Thursday because this wait is going to be a killer. 

Oh I didn't give a shit about either company before their marquee games. Uncharted 1 originally on the PS3 with the Sixaxxis controller was  merely a decent game. The Remaster with "modern" controls definitely makes a lot more fun and playable than the original was. But UC2 is where they broke out, because I never really gave a shit about the Jak and Dexter games. I've said it a million times, UC2 is the closest to an action movie a video game has ever gotten, and I don't think any game has topped it since in terms of a tightly packed action/adventure game.

God of War came seemingly out of nowhere to great reviews, and while maybe playing it again now it doesn't hold up as well as playing it for the first time when it first came out, but the game had great controls, great combat (for the time) and great visuals, and just felt like a brutal, mature action game. It was amazing at the time it came out.

Sony really is killing it. If the Killzone team can come out with HZD, all that's left if for the Knack and Order team to come out with amazing unrelated games. At this point, it wouldn't even surprise me.

MS really needs to take note and direct it's money hatting to opening great studios