Jeff Grubb: Metroid Prime Remastered coming this holiday season

54 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

It’s an HD console which would make a fair bit of difference really. 

Agreed. Even if it was a simple "remaster" the bump to HD would make a difference. 

If this ends up being a full REMAKE, then the jump to Switch-level visuals will be the equivalent of going from a PS2 game to a PS4 game. A *much* bigger difference. 

24 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

If this ends up being a full REMAKE, then the jump to Switch-level visuals will be the equivalent of going from a PS2 game to a PS4 game. A *much* bigger difference. 

You're both underselling the Gamecube and overselling the Switch with that comparison.

I think it'll look great, but can't help but wonder what it would look like if it was coming out for Switch 2, but then again I guess you could say that for any potential remake; "just wait until next gen, or the gen after that". :p

• True 1

3 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

You're both underselling the Gamecube and overselling the Switch with that comparison.

Eh, not really. Buuuuut...the point I was trying to make is that a reMAKE would look significantly better than a reMASTER on Switch. Which I believe we can agree on? That's really all I was getting at. :peace:

3 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Eh, not really.

The fidelity bump from Gamecube to Switch is no where close as PS2 to PS4.

Buuuuut...the point I was trying to make is that a reMAKE would look significantly better than a reMASTER on Switch. Which I believe we can agree on? That's really all I was getting at. :peace:

That's true.  But what others here are keying into is that the Switch may not have enough headroom to make it worth the effort.

This might be the closest comparison we have, from Wii to Switch granted:

Not a bad upgrade, goes further than a remaster.  But if the next Switch was around the corner, you could see why it might be worth targeting that instead.

• Halal 1

20 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

The fidelity bump from Gamecube to Switch is no where close as PS2 to PS4.

That's true.  But what others here are keying into is that the Switch may not have enough headroom to make it worth the effort.

This might be the closest comparison we have, from Wii to Switch granted:

Not a bad upgrade, goes further than a remaster.  But if the next Switch was around the corner, you could see why it might be worth targeting that instead.

The Switch sells like a motherfucker and while I thoroughly enjoy my PS5 this generation is not a yet a dramatic increase over the last one.  I’m not an industry analyst or anything, but I imagine the next switch is further away than we think.  Besides, why even start thinking about pulling that trigger until microchips are falling out of the sky again.

3 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

The Switch sells like a motherfucker and while I thoroughly enjoy my PS5 this generation is not a yet a dramatic increase over the last one.  I’m not an industry analyst or anything, but I imagine the next switch is further away than we think.  Besides, why even start thinking about pulling that trigger until microchips are falling out of the sky again.

I would hope that the next Switch, whenever it comes out, is a big step up over the current hardware.  Modern Nintendo consoles have followed a pattern of a strong fidelity bump followed by a weaker one.  It's due.

They'll have to refresh it soon anyhow.  It's not ideal to launch during the chip shortage, but many small devs are still too limited by the current hardware.  It's only going to get more difficult for the industry to keep supporting it as a whole.

On 7/3/2022 at 11:10 PM, EternallDarkness said:

That's all personal preference. Nintendo has given up on trying compete hardware wise with the Sony and MS so the games will never look as realistic, but then Nintendo has never really been about the graphics. So now it's all about the games, which quite honestly is what it's always about. For some the Switch is the perfect system and all they need. For others it's a nice supplemental system. 

I’m not saying it should relook realistic I’m just not interested in a Metroid prime trilogy rerelease in 720p or sub 1080p.

And really fucking hate that claim that Nintendo has never really been about graphics.  NES was superior to the Atari 2600 which was to be expected but they sure tried to outdo the mega drive with the SNES and pushed mode seven, cgi sprites and polygons via the FX chip in their marketing. And the N64 even waved its graphics capabilities in the name like it was a big dick. Had MS not entered the console market the GameCube wouldve been the most graphically superior console of that generation.  The only thing Nintendo has been consistent throughout each console is that they know how to make the systems cheap, but not always weak.

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

It’s fair to say Nintendo hasn’t cared about competing graphically in more than 20 years. That they never did is a bridge too far, but they’re not going to ever go back to that. 

Competing?  No.  But they do tend to catch up to TV display standards eventually.  It'd be shocking if the next Switch didn't aim above 1080p on TVs.

GameCube was the last time Nintendo tried to compete graphically, but they definitely used to try to compete graphically. As @HGLatinBoy said, had Microsoft not entered the console market with the original Xbox, Nintendo would have had the most powerful console, graphically, of that generation. The Nintendo 64 was also the most powerful console, graphically, when it released, until the release of Sega's Dreamcast 2 years later. Nintendo was even an early adopter of 56k and broadband adapters for online play with the GameCube. Nintendo's mistakes were multi-fold, chief among them sticking to cartridges in the N64 era and sticking to proprietary CD's for the GameCube era, as well as not courting enough third-party support during the N64 and GameCube era's when trying to also directly compete with other console makers at the hardware level.

Nintendo has always seen itself primarily as a "toy" company first and foremost, so after the GameCube underperformed against Microsoft and Sony they hard pivoted to the Wii, which was crazy successful but much more of a "toy" first and a console market competitor second, but it's success has caused Nintendo to stick to that path since despite the failure of the Wii U, and update their technology only when they feel they absolutely need to. Nintendo doesn't care much about graphical fidelity despite their usually excellent game coding. It's how they've also stopped caring about online, and so their online multiplayer is half-baked, and their games often have janky netcode which they never fix. Hell, I'd argue Nintendo thinks it's more in the handheld space than the console space given the DS and 3DS have long since been discontinued and no replacement for them was ever made - because the Switch is that replacement for Nintendo and Nintendo isn't going to otherwise try to directly compete with mobile gaming, which is the handheld gaming replacement in general.

3 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Competing?  No.  But they do tend to catch up to TV display standards eventually.  It'd be shocking if the next Switch didn't aim above 1080p on TVs.

Eventually is a weird way to put it lol. 

I don’t need them to make a console in line with a Sony or MS machine, but I wish they’d take it a little more seriously. 

13 hours ago, HGLatinBoy said:

I’m not saying it should relook realistic I’m just not interested in a Metroid prime trilogy rerelease in 720p or sub 1080p.

And really fucking hate that claim that Nintendo has never really been about graphics.  NES was superior to the Atari 2600 which was to be expected but they sure tried to outdo the mega drive with the SNES and pushed mode seven, cgi sprites and polygons via the FX chip in their marketing. And the N64 even waved its graphics capabilities in the name like it was a big dick. Had MS not entered the console market the GameCube wouldve been the most graphically superior console of that generation.  The only thing Nintendo has been consistent throughout each console is that they know how to make the systems cheap, but not always weak.

okay so maybe NEVER about the graphics was an overstatement, but they haven't been competitive in the graphics department for a long while

On 7/8/2022 at 11:50 AM, Greatoneshere said:

GameCube was the last time Nintendo tried to compete graphically, but they definitely used to try to compete graphically. As @HGLatinBoy said, had Microsoft not entered the console market with the original Xbox, Nintendo would have had the most powerful console, graphically, of that generation. The Nintendo 64 was also the most powerful console, graphically, when it released, until the release of Sega's Dreamcast 2 years later. Nintendo was even an early adopter of 56k and broadband adapters for online play with the GameCube. Nintendo's mistakes were multi-fold, chief among them sticking to cartridges in the N64 era and sticking to proprietary CD's for the GameCube era, as well as not courting enough third-party support during the N64 and GameCube era's when trying to also directly compete with other console makers at the hardware level.

Nintendo has always seen itself primarily as a "toy" company first and foremost, so after the GameCube underperformed against Microsoft and Sony they hard pivoted to the Wii, which was crazy successful but much more of a "toy" first and a console market competitor second, but it's success has caused Nintendo to stick to that path since despite the failure of the Wii U, and update their technology only when they feel they absolutely need to. Nintendo doesn't care much about graphical fidelity despite their usually excellent game coding. It's how they've also stopped caring about online, and so their online multiplayer is half-baked, and their games often have janky netcode which they never fix. Hell, I'd argue Nintendo thinks it's more in the handheld space than the console space given the DS and 3DS have long since been discontinued and no replacement for them was ever made - because the Switch is that replacement for Nintendo and Nintendo isn't going to otherwise try to directly compete with mobile gaming, which is the handheld gaming replacement in general.

All of that is mostly fair, but I’m always confused why people love to dunk on Nintendo’s online. Net code works fine, and outside of their weird stance on Voice Chat (which is still available in some games) I’ve not had much of a problem with them online. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

All of that is mostly fair, but I’m always confused why people love to dunk on Nintendo’s online. Net code works fine, and outside of their weird stance on Voice Chat (which is still available in some games) I’ve not had much of a problem with them online. 

You think Nintendo's net code is good? Smash Bros. is constantly criticized for having shitty netcode compared to, say, Guilty Gear. :p 

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

You think Nintendo's net code is good? Smash Bros. is constantly criticized for having shitty netcode compared to, say, Guilty Gear. :p 

I’ll admit to having intermittent issues in *some* Smash matches online, but an overwhelming majority of them have been totally fine. I’ve had more issues playing Street Fighter on PS3/360/PS5. Not too much trouble with Guilty Gear except when doing “Cross Play” with my buddies (them on PS4, me on PS5). Slight framerate drop, but still totally playable. 

I’ve had no issues with Switch online with games like Mario Kart, Monster Hunter or SplatoonFortnite, Shredder‘s Revenge or Friday the 13th (RIP). 

I feel Nintendo’s online “issues” are overblown. Or maybe I’m just lucky. But what do I know. *shrugs* 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

I’ll admit to having intermittent issues in *some* Smash matches online, but an overwhelming majority of them have been totally fine. I’ve had more issues playing Street Fighter on PS3/360/PS5. Not too much trouble with Guilty Gear except when doing “Cross Play” with my buddies (them on PS4, me on PS5). Slight framerate drop, but still totally playable. 

I’ve had no issues with Switch online with games like Mario Kart, Monster Hunter or SplatoonFortnite, Shredder‘s Revenge or Friday the 13th (RIP). 

I feel Nintendo’s online “issues” are overblown. Or maybe I’m just lucky. But what do I know. *shrugs* 

You're basing your experiences on anecdotal evidence though, which is a fallacy to use as proof of a more objective truth. There's no reason for people at large to complain about Nintendo's online coding compared to everyone else, so there must be something to it for everyone including tech heads to complain about it regularly.

anecdotal.jpg
YOURLOGICALFALLACYIS.COM

You used a personal experience or an isolated example instead of a sound argument or compelling evidence.

• True 1

It's also worth mentioning that all of those games use different netcode

Monster Hunter is actually running on new Nintendo Netcode, so it shouldn't feel bad.

Fortnite runs on Epic's servers or whatever

Shredder's Revenge has rollback netcode, it was specifically stated.

Mario Kart is probably running on Nintendo's ancient windows 98 netcode and from what I understand Smash is probably as well and most people loathe it.

I also think the issues aren't just about a "weird stance on voice chat" (where you have to download a stupid app on your phone) but also their insistence of using friend codes as well. The whole system is archaic and needs a refresh.

• Like 2
  • True 1

13 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's also worth mentioning that all of those games use different netcode

Monster Hunter is actually running on new Nintendo Netcode, so it shouldn't feel bad.

Fortnite runs on Epic's servers or whatever

Shredder's Revenge has rollback netcode, it was specifically stated.

Mario Kart is probably running on Nintendo's ancient windows 98 netcode and from what I understand Smash is probably as well and most people loathe it.

Sounds like you’re conflating server-side changes with the netcode that games use to interpret the received data.

Even games without dedicated servers can still have good netcode.  Or likewise, good servers can’t save bad netcode.

11 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

You're basing your experiences on anecdotal evidence though, which is a fallacy to use as proof of a more objective truth. There's no reason for people at large to complain about Nintendo's online coding compared to everyone else, so there must be something to it for everyone including tech heads to complain about it regularly.

anecdotal.jpg
YOURLOGICALFALLACYIS.COM

You used a personal experience or an isolated example instead of a sound argument or compelling evidence.

You already messed up, because you didn't pay attention to the last thing I said. I already asked "what do I know?" so like...

...that's what I know.

So I *think* we're on the same page. I feel the issue is overblown. Or maybe not! But for me? Nah. 

:shrug:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GameDadGrant said:

You already messed up, because you didn't pay attention to the last thing I said. I already asked "what do I know?" so like...

...that's what I know.

So I *think* we're on the same page. I feel the issue is overblown. Or maybe not! But for me? Nah. 

:shrug:

That's fair, you did say that, I was just being clear. I don't even own a Switch, I haven't owned a Nintendo system since the Wii, which I barely played. Nintendo is so easy to emulate I just emulate their shit now. I'm just going off of what everyone seems to be saying, so I wouldn't know either. :p 

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

That's fair, you did say that, I was just being clear. I don't even own a Switch, I haven't owned a Nintendo system since the Wii, which I barely played. Nintendo is so easy to emulate I just emulate their shit now. I'm just going off of what everyone seems to be saying, so I wouldn't know either. :p 

Fair enough! 

....what are you emulating, anyway? I suspect it's old stuff, since their "newer" games with motion and IR aiming and touch screen/dual screen stuff would be...difficult? To emulate properly? Or maybe not? I'm not much into emulation. If that's even possible on a MacBook. 

Man, my Steam Deck can't get here fast enough. :p 

• Thanks 1

Fair enough! 

....what are you emulating, anyway? I suspect it's old stuff, since their "newer" games with motion and IR aiming and touch screen/dual screen stuff would be...difficult? To emulate properly? Or maybe not? I'm not much into emulation. If that's even possible on a MacBook. 

Man, my Steam Deck can't get here fast enough. :p 

Latest Switch game I emulated was Breath of the Wild at 60 fps at 4K and it was amazing. I don't play a lot of Nintendo games as it's never been my go to even though I grew up playing Nintendo games. :p 

• Halal 1

13 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Latest Switch game I emulated was Breath of the Wild at 60 fps at 4K and it was amazing. I don't play a lot of Nintendo games as it's never been my go to even though I grew up playing Nintendo games. :p 

Nice, I bet that looked awesome! Did you like Breath of the Wild? Despite me being D1P's resident "Nintendo Fan" I have yet to actually play that game. :blush:

• Shocked 1

29 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Nice, I bet that looked awesome! Did you like Breath of the Wild? Despite me being D1P's resident "Nintendo Fan" I have yet to actually play that game. :blush:

It was really good! I can't believe you haven't played it, you definitely should. As for emulating, I haven't emulated newer Switch games, I think the last one I did was Breath of the Wild honestly. My understanding is it can be done, but the logistics, etc. I'm not sure of. My understanding is you buy the Switch controllers and then get them to work with your PC I believe. For Breath of the Wild I just used my standard PC Xbox One controller. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

@Greatoneshere

Nice! Yeah, I'll get around to playing Breath of the Wild. Someday. Someday...

I've been out of the emulating scene for a while. All the computers in my house are Apple. Not sure there are even emulators for say, a MacBook Pro?

I believe there are - I think these days they do have emulation programs for Macs, but I'm not completely certain since I'm windows.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2022 at 4:51 PM, GameDadGrant said:

the fact that they didn’t  offer an Ethernet port on their consoles should clue you in that they’re still not serious online gaming.

in fact if you used an  Ethernet dongle on your Wii and Wii U you’d actually get a WORSE connection. I can’t speak on the switch since I don’t own one. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they did same nonsense with that

1 hour ago, HGLatinBoy said:

the fact that they didn’t  offer an Ethernet port on their consoles should clue you in that they’re still not serious online gaming.

in fact if you used an  Ethernet dongle on your Wii and Wii U you’d actually get a WORSE connection. I can’t speak on the switch since I don’t own one. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they did same nonsense with that

I never used a wired connection on Wii or Wii U since my connection has always been fine. A buddy of mine used it once before and he said the performance was better, but marginally so. But...y'know. Anecdotal evidence. ;) 

The OG Switch and Switch Lite do not offer a wired connection out-of-the-box, but the newer OLED model does. For whatever that is worth.

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You can buy wired adapters for the original one though. Lite is SOL.

Considering the Lite is meant for on-the-go gaming, that actually makes sense. It's not like Nintendo made an ethernet outlet for the 3DS (nor did Sony for the Vita, despite Sony being "serious" about online gaming). That's not what the Lite is for. 

3 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

So, a thread about a remastered GameCube game has become about Nintendo’s online credentials…

This seems to track for just about any D1P thread. Start on one topic, then gradually drift to another topic. And hey, maybe we're just getting started...! :p 

8 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

I never used a wired connection on Wii or Wii U since my connection has always been fine. A buddy of mine used it once before and he said the performance was better, but marginally so. But...y'know. Anecdotal evidence. ;) 

Right, but you don't need anecdotal evidence to prove this point (technically fallacies can't prove any point, except accidentally, but that's beside the point). Technology superiority speaks for itself in the data wired is always better than wireless (for the time being) due to latency and lag as I understand it. That's because of how data passes through mainly. It's the same with wired audio vs. wireless, wired controllers vs. wireless, and so on.