Jeff Grubb: Metroid Prime Remastered coming this holiday season

MetroidPrime.jpg
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Metroid Prime returns this holiday season, according to a new rumor.

Metroid Prime is getting remastered. Rumors of a Metroid Prime remaster have been whispered for over a year, but now those rumors have a date. Speaking on the Game Mess podcast, insider Jeff Grubb said that Nintendo plans to release Metroid Prime Remastered later this holiday season.

"I can say that I've been told pretty definitively that Metroid Prime Remastered is going to be one of their big holiday games," said Grubb. "In the past this was something I'd heard was in the works, they have things happening with that game; now I've been told that their plans are to release that game this holiday I think almost certainly to line up with the 20th anniversary in November."

14 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I was kinda being a smart-ass because the Switch has god awful visuals. In my mind, GameCube looked much better lol

We all do it from time to time.  But really,

Gamecube:

largeuikwl.jpg

Switch:

nintendoswitch_supermcskyo.jpg

Jaggies and blemishes accounted for in both.

Also, props to Nintendo for seldom ever bullshotting official screenshots.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

We all do it from time to time.  But really,

Gamecube:

largeuikwl.jpg

Switch:

nintendoswitch_supermcskyo.jpg

Jaggies and blemishes accounted for in both.

Also, props to Nintendo for seldom ever bullshotting official screenshots.

Nice comparison shots. I know the Switch is more powerful than the GameCube. :thumbup:

35 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Wow. Shrinkflation continues at Nintendo. We go from a trilogy to one game? You know it gonna cost $60 too. 

Nintendo knows how to control us. In the PC gaming space I will probably only buy the next From Soft game at 70 dollars but Nintendo re-releases a HD Metroid Prime 1 for 60 and while I won't like the price. I will have that game preordered.

3 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Wow. Shrinkflation continues at Nintendo. We go from a trilogy to one game? You know it gonna cost $60 too. 

Depends if they give it the full remake treatment, which the 3D Mario (or Prime) trilogies never were.

I have no problem with a ground up remaster of a game being sold for $60.

22 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Depends if they give it the full remake treatment, which the 3D Mario (or Prime) trilogies never were.

I have no problem with a ground up remaster of a game being sold for $60.

Yeah this, but given the lackluster effort put into the Mario 3D All Stars package to "remaster" them, I don't have a lot of hope. My only hope really is that some other team, and I hate to say it but probably a Western one, who knows how important this game is to people, and actually gives a shit, will do a proper upgrade. 

17 hours ago, best3444 said:

I was kinda being a smart-ass because the Switch has god awful visuals. In my mind, GameCube looked much better lol

In my mind, Rogue Leader on gamecube is still the best looking Star Wars game ever. Haven’t played it for 10-15 years so I’m probably wrong haha.

Rogue_squadron_2_Box.jpg

• Halal 1

There's an entire Dolphin off-shoot dedicated to Prime emulation, HD texture pack that looks fantastic and everything. Having just replayed it last year that way, whatever Nintendo is doing won't be near what you can get for free if you own the original of course and rip it yourself and disclaimer disclaimer. 

*IF it turns out to be a remaster vs. an actual remake or some sort of partial remake. 

20 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

In my mind, Rogue Leader on gamecube is still the best looking Star Wars game ever. Haven’t played it for 10-15 years so I’m probably wrong haha.

Rogue_squadron_2_Box.jpg

Some jank-ass half a decade old Dolphin footage, but still, it ain't lookin' good chief! I imagine on a small CRT that it'd look a lot nicer since the blur would cover up a lot of the flaws, which basically means the entire image.

Still, I remember how crazy it looked at the time, too. I think that's the first time I heard the term "middleware," specifically about SpeedTree!

On 6/29/2022 at 4:00 AM, Xbob42 said:

Some jank-ass half a decade old Dolphin footage, but still, it ain't lookin' good chief! I imagine on a small CRT that it'd look a lot nicer since the blur would cover up a lot of the flaws, which basically means the entire image.

Still, I remember how crazy it looked at the time, too. I think that's the first time I heard the term "middleware," specifically about SpeedTree!

Yeah, something's up with that footage.  Peformance on original hardware isn't perfect in that part of the game, but it's not as bad as that video implies.

(also dolphin)

It still looks good to me for the most part.  The final death star section isn't as much of a showpiece as other levels though, IMO.

11 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

so is will this be the third or fourth time this gets released? 

I think *technically* it's the fourth time. 

1.) Original Gamecube version.

2.) Wii "Trilogy" collection.

3.) Wii U "Virtual Console" Trilogy release.

4.) Theoretical Switch Remaster. 

I hope motion controls are an option if this Switch version is a real thing. 

52 minutes ago, HGLatinBoy said:

The switch sits somewhere between an Xbox 360 and an Xbox One really don’t see the point. Not until nintendo makes a system that’s at least as good as an Xbox One X or series S

That's all personal preference. Nintendo has given up on trying compete hardware wise with the Sony and MS so the games will never look as realistic, but then Nintendo has never really been about the graphics. So now it's all about the games, which quite honestly is what it's always about. For some the Switch is the perfect system and all they need. For others it's a nice supplemental system. 

• Halal 1

14 hours ago, HGLatinBoy said:

The switch sits somewhere between an Xbox 360 and an Xbox One really don’t see the point. Not until nintendo makes a system that’s at least as good as an Xbox One X or series S

It’s an HD console which would make a fair bit of difference really. 

• True 1