nacthenud

Best 4K UHD HDR Blu-ray discs for showing off the tech

I love the quality of my 2017 LG OLED TV regardless of what I’m watching, but I’m always looking for those titles that really show what it can do, for when someone asks why OLED TVs are worth the price. I play my 4K UHD HDR BD's off of a Panasonic DMP-UB900.

In particular, I'm posting this thread to find out what people have found to be the most striking use of HDR. HDR can really add a lot of subtle depth to an image and because many movies are shot with the stylistic choice to have a muted colour palette, the differences between a standard blu-ray and the HDR version can be subtle and almost need a side-by-side comparison.  Those movies are not what this thread is about. :P  I'm looking for the bold, beautiful, jaw-dropping titles y'all have found that someone will look at and instantly be aware of the benefits.

Currently, my go-to is Pacific Rim.  Nearly every scene on the 4K UHD HDR Pacific Rim disc serves as justification for the format.  Derived and upscaled from a 2K digital intermediate, it isn’t the sharpest 4K disc out there, with the occasional scene or visual effect looking a tad soft, but the colours and specular highlights just pop off the screen. Bright neon lights against inky black night time settings abound.  Frequent bold use of colour.  Glinting lights off glass and metal.  Pure eye candy. 

Prior to watching this, I would have given the nod to Kong Skull Island and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 as runners up for wowing the masses.

What titles have the rest of you found that blow you away?

I have yet to get a 4K BD player, but I hear that CoCo is a real showpiece in 4K HDR.

I actually do have a question for you: How much better is a 4K BD than a 4K stream? For HD, I'd argue there's a difference, but not one that my wife would really notice. I'm trying to figure out if I should buy the 4K disc of Last Jedi, or if I should just get it digitally.

1 minute ago, TwinIon said:

I have yet to get a 4K BD player, but I hear that CoCo is a real showpiece in 4K HDR.

I have that disc.  Can confirm - it is stunning.  Most CG animated movies are, actually.  Moana's standard Blu-ray is a jaw-dropper with the TV on a slightly more vivid picture setting than I normally watch movies on.  

1 minute ago, dualhunter said:

I haven't seen either of them but I would guess that Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II would be good.

Planet Earth II is also a good showpiece at times, but not everything is of the same consistent quality.  Some scenes were definitely not filmed in 4K.  When it hits, it hits hard though. 

Haven't picked up Blue Planet II yet.

5 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I actually do have a question for you: How much better is a 4K BD than a 4K stream? For HD, I'd argue there's a difference, but not one that my wife would really notice. I'm trying to figure out if I should buy the 4K disc of Last Jedi, or if I should just get it digitally.

Just throwing my 2 cents in

Visually its below the quality of blu ray disk due to compression and bit rate, the biggest offender is audio quality, you miss out on uncompressed DTS-HD or Dolby True.

5 hours ago, nacthenud said:

What titles have the rest of you found that blow you away?

The Revenant is top tier for me

Dunkirk,Blade Runner 2049 and Blade Runner all come in a close 2nd.

23 hours ago, TwinIon said:

As SimpleG said there are differences.  Generally, in terms of picture quality, you will lose some fine details in the background and often a loss of the film grain texture - some people that don't like film grain actually prefer digital streams instead, for that reason.  Sometimes you can get more macroblocking with digital.  Personally, I prefer the Blu Ray's for movies that are a visual spectacle, but I'm happy to go digital or disc for other movies.  Do I notice a difference?  Yes.  Does anyone else in my family?  No.

18 hours ago, Dre801 said:

I've heard good things about UHD release of "Unforgiven."

Wasn't on my radar.

18 hours ago, SimpleG said:

The Revenant is top tier for me

Dunkirk,Blade Runner 2049 and Blade Runner all come in a close 2nd.

I own all of these, but have only watched the original Blade Runner to date.  It has it's moments and is a clear step up from the old Blu-ray version I have, but I wasn't particularly blown away by it overall.  The best moments, visually are when you get shots of the cityscape, with each tiny lit window perfectly defined.

20 hours ago, Dre801 said:

I've heard good things about UHD release of "Unforgiven."

From a review of this disc:

"It will be interesting to see how the UHD enthusiast community reacts to Warner's 2160p, HEVC/H.265-encoded UHD of Unforgiven, because the differences between the 4K treatment and its accompanying 1080p rendition don't immediately leap off the screen. In the film's darker sequences—and Unforgiven has many of them—the high-resolution scan of the negative provides little or no increase in visible detail, because it simply isn't there in the original photography...

The sticker prominently affixed to every UHD disc touts the "brighter, deeper, more lifelike colors" of HDR, but the HDR treatment of Unforgiven demonstrates that these descriptions may be at odds. The colors of this UHD are "more lifelike", but they certainly are not "brighter" or "deeper". I would describe them as more refined. Perhaps most noticeably, the UHD's fleshtones lack the consistently ruddy cast that is evident even on the remastered Blu-ray, presumably a product of that format's less expansive color space. On the UHD, faces are reddened by the glow of candles, lamplight and campfires, but in natural light they lose a slight red "push" that is visible on the Blu-ray (and was even more pronounced in the previous Blu-ray). It's a subtle but effective adjustment, enhancing the realism of characters even as the story elevates them into myth. (The reds and oranges of the sunsets that open and close the film remain as intense as ever.)

The 4K/HDR rendition of Unforgiven may not be the disc you drop into the player to wow your friends, but it fulfills the format's promise of bringing classic cinema into the home with new levels of accuracy and intensity. It's the first UHD I've reviewed that deserves highest marks for its treatment of a 4K source—not only for what it does, but also for what it does not
 do."

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Unforgiven-4K-Blu-ray/165822/

It sounds like a good image that faithfully reproduces the original intent of the director.  But it is also totally not sounding like the type of movie I'm talking about in this thread.

xXx: Return of Xander Cage was a disappointing disc.  I found skin tones to be distractingly unrealistic.  Definitely not a movie I would pull out to sell people on this tech.

Sounds like The Last Jedi should be a visual treat next week:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-Wars-Episode-VIII-The-Last-Jedi-4K-Blu-ray/193044/

The Last Jedi is no slouch on Blu-ray, but this 2160p/Dolby Vision UHD release offers an increase, often substantial, in terms of both textural clarity and color depth and vibrancy. The film, shot on film, retains an inherently natural and beautiful grain structure, here a little more pronounced than that on the Blu-ray, but the end result is a substantial net increase in textural yield. The native 4K presentation is a sight to behold, with detail refinements abounding from beginning to end. Watching closely after the Blu-ray and making some direct scene comparisons reveal the UHD's superiority. The image is much more firm, substantially sharper, and more capable of reproducing and displaying details that are not so much lost on the Blu-ray but that are certainly lacking this level of effortless intimacy. There's a tangible depth to facial definition, costumes, and environments that the Blu-ray is incapable of revealing. Fine-point object detail on scars, hair, set piece weathering and intricate material detail, and costume density -- everything sees a generous increase in firmness and inherent complexity. 

The 12-bit Dolby Vision color presentation is perhaps not quite the revelatory extreme as the transfer's textural wonders, but the increase in essential and nuanced coloring is a welcome add. The yellow "Star Wars" title card bears the first Dolby Vision fruits, beaming with increased brilliance against not a comparatively dull Blu-ray yellow but a yellow without the popping splendor Dolby provides. Natural greens on Ahch-To enjoy improved saturation. Reds are of greatly increased density, and the Dolby Vision allows for the color to boldly proclaim Johnson's vision for its symbolic use in the film. Skin tones take on a more refined, flattering coloring, presenting with increased natural definition and complimenting the enhanced detailing that comes with them. Stormtrooper whites are wonderfully brighter and more alive; white balance certainly seems to be, at this stage, amongst the most beneficial of the Dolby Vision improvements to any film. Black levels remain deep and true, whether dark star fields or black attire. This is the way to watch The Last Jedi. The disc boasts a significant increase in detail and filmic credentials while also taking full advantage of the increased color output under the Dolby Vision parameters. If for no other reason this disc is a must-buy for its reference UHD video presentation. 

Spider-man: Homecoming - It was a very good looking film and all, but I never really found myself going "Wow, this is what 4K HDR is all about" while watching it.  I guess I'd have to compare to the standard blu-ray to be sure, but I don't know that there was much of anything to really take advantage of the format in the jaw-dropping kind of way.  Or maybe I'm just starting to get so used to the format that it's starting to become standard in my brain??

It isn’t getting a UHD release in North America but I bought a copy of Paddington 2 from the Uk where it was given the treatment. It is easily one of my favourite looking discs in my collection. Tons of colour and a real showcase for detail. Will do my best to try and take a pic or 2 to show off why. Plus the movie is charming as hell

Others i I have enjoyed:

Blade Runner 2049 - dark but great shadow detail and colour when needed.

John Wick 2 - the opening and last 30 minutes are nice eye candy

Pacific Rim - I still prefer my 3D copy but there is no denying how amazing it looks 

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - well duh on colour and inky blacks

screen grabs off my 106”projection screen JVC 950. Taken with iphone6+

oJUmOsP.jpg

3FraPQz.jpg

FMCLp2a.jpg

On 3/31/2018 at 4:33 PM, silentbob said:

It isn’t getting a UHD release in North America but I bought a copy of Paddington 2 from the Uk where it was given the treatment. It is easily one of my favourite looking discs in my collection. Tons of colour and a real showcase for detail. Will do my best to try and take a pic or 2 to show off why. Plus the movie is charming as hell

screen grabs off my 106”projection screen JVC 950. Taken with iphone6+

Good to know - thanks!  Might be worth an import.

screen grabs are always so difficult to do because the camera can't capture what you're seeing and then the computer screen I've viewing it on also can't display what you're seeing.  Great displays really need to be seen in person to truly be appreciated.

Is that a JVC DLA-X950R projector?  Nice piece of kit.  I sure do love the HDR on an OLED screen, but the sheer size of the projector is enviable.  And I am jealous of your 3D capability.  I debated a long time about getting a 2017 OLED for the improved PQ vs a 2016 model for the 3D capabilities.  3D movies at 106" in your home would be a sight, for sure.  My only means for watching 3D movies is on the PSVR, which is still nice, but relatively low res.

I do love my JVC projector, but I gotta admit I do love the look of them LG OLED TVs with their great colours and blackness. If you import Paddington 2, it might look even better because it was encoded in Dolby Vision. My projector can only do HDR 10. Whether the difference is night and day is another story but either way it is one pretty looking disc to have.

if you ever decide you want to go a projector. Look at eastporters.com for close out pricing on older projectors when the newer models are released. They’re located pretty close to me in Oakville,Ontario but ship Canada wide

Cool cool.  Sadly, while my TV supports Dolby Vision my Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K UHD Blu-ray Player does not.  When I got it, there were no discs that yet supported Dolby Vision and future support was speculative.  I will have to upgrade that at some point, but probably not for a while yet.

I watched Murder on the Orient Express over the weekend.  Originally filmed on 65mm and then finished in a 4K Digital Intermediary, the image is just stunningly detailed.  If resolution is your thing, this is a showpiece.  So many UHD releases are upscaled from a 2K Digital Intermediate.  This is true 4K.

However, I would not say this disc is a showpiece title for HDR.  Everything looks great, but nothing really jumped out at me through the film as "wow, I need to show this to someone."  Certainly the film looks good in every regard, but it's not a sensory overload kind of film to begin with.

53 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

No.  The thought of someone forcing his guests to watch a terrible movie amuses me. 

Wait... which movie is the terrible movie?  Baywatch?  I mean, it wasn't a GOOD movie, but I've seen far far worse.  I'd give it a 5/10.

On 4/14/2018 at 11:04 AM, RedSoxFan9 said:

The stupid smurfs movie is actually a good 4K movie.

Baywatch was terrible

The smurfs, eh?... Maybe I'll check it out at some point - my youngest might like it.

21 hours ago, silentbob said:

The Greatest Showman which was just released has gotten nothing but stellar reviews and was finished in 4K and not a 2K upconversion 

I will have to pick this one up, thanks for the tip.  Side note - while finished in a 4K DI, the filming was done with a combination of 3.4K and 6.5K sources.