Sign in to follow this  
Biggie_Rich

Never played Bayonetta or Bayonetta 2

What am I looking at with these games? What’s the background story of the female character? Also the game play is sort of hack and slash right? This releases in a couple of days and I’m interested in it but also totally in the dark. Lol. 

Bayonetta is an action hack-n-slash with timing elements.  Super fun if you like beat-em-ups.  Challenging.

The character, Bayonetta, is an Umbra Witch who is caught in a battle between other members of her order, an opposing order of light (the Lumen Sages) and demons.  At the base level it's a, "wakes up with no memory in the middle of a fight she doesn't quite understand" story, but ramps up very quickly.  As for as story specifics...prepare to be very confused for a long time. :D

Her voice is annoying but this video is a good, "Bayonetta Newb" overview:

I played Bayonetta -- and loved the game.  I really enjoyed the combat -- and the variety of gameplay.  It's similar in style to a Ninja Gaiden or a Devil May Cry game.

The story, however,  is nonsensical-anime bullshit.  (I think that there is some anime with good stories/writing -- this isn't it).  I would recommend ignoring the story completely, and focusing on the gameplay.

Hmmmmm, now I'm not so sure this sounds like my type of game. I hate when a plot is so confusing it means nothing paired with the game play. Might go with Fire Emblem Warriors instead. I love the FE characters and world. 

Even though I own the first game, barely played, on Steam, I'm seriously considering preordering the physical version of the Switch version of the second game on Amazon to take advantage of the 20% Prime preorder discount. The second game comes up with a download code for the first one.

The story isn't confusing, just outlandish. If you like Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden etc...you'll like this. 

42 minutes ago, Biggie_Rich said:

Hmmmmm, now I'm not so sure this sounds like my type of game. I hate when a plot is so confusing it means nothing paired with the game play. Might go with Fire Emblem Warriors instead. I love the FE characters and world. 

@gamer.tv is correct here. The story isn't confusing. It's just ridiculously over-the-top. Also, it is NOT anime-trope heavy like Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It's just crazy like a JRPG...on acid...with visuals to match. Even normal enemies looks like wild, third evolution JRPG bosses.

I mean the story is complete and utter drivel and nonsense and I love the game. 

Basically, if you wanna brutally beat the shit out of angels, gods and everything holy in between with a sexed-up librarian witch, this is your game. I don't think it's as good as Devil May Cry 3 or Ninja Gaiden overall, but still top tier. 

Also bonus points for being very creative at being stupid as hell.

The draw of Bayonetta is its absurdity. I've played both, don't remember a thing about the story but remember lots of great "moments" throughout. I plays like DMC, Ninja Gaiden and the like with more combos than you probably care to learn. 

6 hours ago, Biggie_Rich said:

What am I looking at with these games? What’s the background story of the female character? Also the game play is sort of hack and slash right? This releases in a couple of days and I’m interested in it but also totally in the dark. Lol. 

DMC with boobs.

7 hours ago, Biggie_Rich said:

If you loved Ninja Gaiden, you'll love Bayonetta. Simple!

The story isn't really non-sensical as much as it's presented kind of out of order and is completely absurd.  Once you reassemble the pieces, the broad stokes aren't anywhere near as outlandish as their presentation.  You won't necessarily care as much about the storyline as much as the style in which its presented.

19 hours ago, Biggie_Rich said:

The plot isn't so much confusing, as it is absurd/ridiculous/silly -- and, IMHO,  not worthy of trying to understand.

That said, there are lots of great set pieces, and the combat is fantastic.  I HIGHLY recommend this game...

Going back and forth on buying B2 knowing it comes with the first one and I know many that loved that game. I myself have never played it, but looks like a great portable game for the switch . . .

On 2/14/2018 at 4:04 PM, HardAct said:

Going back and forth on buying B2 knowing it comes with the first one and I know many that loved that game. I myself have never played it, but looks like a great portable game for the switch . . .

I should have added to my above, it plays like DMC and Ninja Gaiden...both of which are games I don't love. But I had so much fun with Bayonetta 2. It's a cliche, but it is a roller coaster ride of a game and everything positive about weird, Japanese things. 

I bought the first one on the eshop. I don't think I'm going to like it (I don't like devil may cry or ninja gaiden), but it was the cheaper of the two and buying it discounted the second one in case I do enjoy it. 

Someone  bought Bayonetta 2 on cart the dl code for Bayonetta doesn't work, they gave out the wrong codes according to people on Twitter, major fuck up

1 hour ago, mo1518 said:

I bought the first one on the eshop. I don't think I'm going to like it (I don't like devil may cry or ninja gaiden), but it was the cheaper of the two and buying it discounted the second one in case I do enjoy it. 

I'm hearing b2 is better but I've never played either

1 hour ago, mo1518 said:

That’s my concern. I don’t like Devil May Cry at all. Ninja Gaiden is okay I guess but never really been a fan of that either. 

3 minutes ago, Biggie_Rich said:

That’s my concern. I don’t like Devil May Cry at all. Ninja Gaiden is okay I guess but never really been a fan of that either. 

379ch.gif

3 hours ago, Biggie_Rich said:

I've heard so much about this series over the years, I figured I could give it a shot. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised!

Edit: played the first couple levels, button mashy. This game has an ass fetish. 

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Or the 3rd. :sick:

Eh? The third was great, just ridiculously difficult.

EDIT: Wait, are we talking about Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden? :P 

37 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Eh? The third was great, just ridiculously difficult.

EDIT: Wait, are we talking about Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden? :P 

Heh, I was assuming Ninja Gaiden. :P

I played a bit of the first one on Wii U and it didn't really click with me, but most games in that genre don't. I think God of War 2 might have been the last time I really loved this type of "character action" game.