crispy4000

Your most anticipated games that never materialized / were total buzz kills?

191837-wds_cover.png

517full-warlords-ds-cover.jpg

I wanted this badly at the time.  Warlords II is one of my favorite pick up and play strategy games.  It's like the Mario Party of the genre.  Simple, dumb fun that would have been perfect on the DS.  They were promising online play too, which wasn't possible on PC outside of email chains.

This was also before mobile gaming was big, and the thought of strategy games on the go with a stylus was novel.  Still stings a bit.  Warlords games died when Puzzle Quest became a thing.

bomberman3dss0or0.jpg

Bomberman 3DS.  Fuck Konami.

I love 3d puzzle platformers.  It's an unsung genre that never gets the support it deserves.  Bomberman 64 & Second Attack are still two of the best, and this looked like a return to form.

I understand the reasons Dennis Dyack is hated.  And the schadenfreude at watching his Kickstarter fail each time.

But an Eternal Darkness sequel would have been amazing in a world where it was allowed to exist.

black-sigil-blade-exikjoy3.jpg
060bc2c1-9f32-a791-ae0cr18.jpg  blacksigilinline2_1242wo3q.jpg
Before indie games with pixel art were a dime a dozen, Black Sigil was a trailblazer.  I still think it looks more tastefully retro than a lot of stuff today.  This was prior to Chrono Trigger DS being announced too. 

It got panned in reviews for a ridiculously high random encounter rate and few save points.  In a game aping Chrono Trigger, no less.  I skipped it out of principle.

starwars_551c43f4w3o4z.jpeg

1313.  Dark Squadron.  Amy Hennig.  Rogue Leaders.  Imperial Commando.  KOTOR 3.  Just a huge pile of misery and what if's.

So this thread is for anticipated games that were never released and anticipated games that came out and sucked?

19 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So this thread is for anticipated games that were never released and anticipated games that came out and sucked?

Both, I think.

So, SWTOR. Literally the reason I got a PC. Game was Poop. Years later, I did go back a finish a class story line when there was an exp buff and just doing the class quests was actually pretty good. The Story was good and fun. One day I plan to go back and do different class story. 

And I expect people will be saying Kingdom Come: Deliverance in the future. 

Gunslinger for the PS2

gunslinger-ps2-05.jpg

gunslinger-ps2-06.jpg

gunslinger-ps2-03.jpg

gunslinger_2-000.jpg

This was in the early stages of its life, but everything that was talked about at this time sounded amazing and new. Nowadays, what you're about to read consists of things many games have accomplished, but in 2000, this got my psyched:

What's cool about the game is that it does include RPG elements, and that it doesn't take itself too seriously. The RPG system involves gamers in conversation that branches off in different directions depending on how they relate to the people in various towns. The main character, a dark loner suspiciously familiar in looks, stance, and demeanor to Clint Eastwood's character in dozens of spaghetti westerns, can determine his reputation by the way he acts. The reputation system enables you to become famous for the horrible way you treat people, or the nice and friendly way you handle them in time of need. Either way you earn a reputation and can change it depending on your actions. All of the conversations happen in real time, and if you decide to simply end one, you can walk away, or restart the conversation at any time.

And there were other things you could do, like either follow a mission from the mayor or just shoot him and alter your reputation as described above. 

A bunch of games have done that, but for a game originally that was going to release in 2001, I was like, "GIVE ME THIS GAME NOW." It never released. :( 

The ones I always bring up in these type of threads are

Fighting Force: So much hype for this one, but it was delayed so much but I went to Toys R Us every weekend to check and see if it was there. It finally comes out and I beat it in a couple of hours and it's not very good. :(

Auto Modellista: Cool looking game with really odd gameplay mechanics. Did not like.

2 minutes ago, Moa said:

Remember Everquest Next?

I got blue balls from that Landmark beta :(

There was a Gauntlet game being made for the original DS that was supposed to be absolutely BANGIN'. Four player local and online co-op, voice chat, RPG elements, and that classic, fast-paced arcade gameplay. It was apparently done (or at least in Alpha) when Nintendo canned it unexpectedly. :( 

252px-Gauntletds.JPG

220px-GauntletDualScreen.png

As for a game I was anticipating and actually did come out, but ended up sucking? Nothing tops this: 

220px-Yoshi's_Story.jpg

What a travesty. What a garbage follow-up to the incredible Yoshi's Island. This could/should have been a classic 2D Nintendo platformer during an age where such a thing were as rare as a rooster's tooth. Such a shame. I've never been more disappointed with any video game release, ever. I'm still bitter about it. :frustrated:

29 minutes ago, Runny said:

Man this thread is depressing as fuck. I'm out!

Wow this one too?

It didn't completely suck but the previews to the first Assassin's Creed made it sound like an Elder Scrolls game, except your getting your dick sucked the entire time. 

Stargateworlds_logo.jpg

I'm one of maybe five people in the world that was hyped as hell for this. The idea of a Stargate MMO had limitless possibilities. With the idea that the Stargate had thousands of possible combinations/destinations meant that they could keep adding worlds endlessly without the hurdle of trying to fit it into a pre-existing map. Stargate Command could've been a hub of sorts, with the stargate itself "launching" the missions. Apparently the development of the game was a clusterfuck from the beginning, and it never even made it to beta phase. 

I would still love to see a Stargate MMO or just an rpg, but I don't even know if people still care about the franchise anymore, despite MGM releasing Stargate Origins on their premium Stargate Command website (which i can't see anyone actually paying for).

9 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Stargateworlds_logo.jpg

I'm one of maybe five people in the world that was hyped as hell for this. The idea of a Stargate MMO had limitless possibilities. With the idea that the Stargate had thousands of possible combinations/destinations meant that they could keep adding worlds endlessly without the hurdle of trying to fit it into a pre-existing map. Stargate Command could've been a hub of sorts, with the stargate itself "launching" the missions. Apparently the development of the game was a clusterfuck from the beginning, and it never even made it to beta phase. 

I would still love to see a Stargate MMO or just an rpg, but I don't even know if people still care about the franchise anymore, despite MGM releasing Stargate Origins on their premium Stargate Command website (which i can't see anyone actually paying for).

People certainly still care about the franchise, the problem is Hollywood doesn't. 

Cheap reality tv has destroyed the medium, for the most part. Networks would rather make "Real Housewives of D1P" than a great sci-fi show that isn't on a paid network. 

49 minutes ago, apoc81 said:

No, it was, in fact, fantastic!

To each their own.  Mass Effect 2 is one of my favourite games of all time (and Mass Effect 3 would be in my top 10).  So Mass Effect: Andromeda was probably my most anticipated games of all time.......  It was "OK" -- a 7/10...

1 hour ago, mikechorney said:

To each their own.  Mass Effect 2 is one of my favourite games of all time (and Mass Effect 3 would be in my top 10).  So Mass Effect: Andromeda was probably my most anticipated games of all time.......  It was "OK" -- a 7/10...

I personally think it was fantastic.