Sign in to follow this  
TwinIon

How Apple Plans to Root Out Bugs, Revamp iPhone Software

Bloomberg has a good piece on how Apple is changing their software development strategy, but to me it reads like a band aid rather than a solution to the actual problem. The new strategy that Craig Federighi laid out recently involves allowing engineers to delay features that they feel are not ready, pushing them back a full year until the next Apple release. Bizarrely (to me at least), Apple plans on sticking to the monolithic yearly releases, rather than splitting out features and apps so they can be updated piecemeal.

With iOS 12 and Mac OS 10.14 a single app will be able to run across iPhones, iPads, and Macs. That's a big change that makes sense to put into a yearly release. Even something like the redesigned Do Not Disturb feature makes sense to put into a yearly release, and it makes sense to delay that kind of feature until it's ready. However, one of the other features they mention is a toggle in the email app that will mute notifications from specific threads. Why something like that should need to wait for an annual release is beyond me, as is adding animoji.

Apple's success with iOS updates are a great achievement, and while Google's tact may have been born of necessity, it seems like something that Apple should copy. If the Stocks App redesign misses the release of iOS 12 (it isn't, but for the sake of argument), Apple's new policy would be to push it to iOS 13 rather than just release it when it's done, like Google does with their core updates.

I'm glad Apple is taking a step back and really focusing on fixing bugs in their software, but it seems like their devotion to annual releases is a relic that should be at least partially rethought. 

I would love for them to simply abandon the idea that we need an entirely new version of the OS every single year. Mainly for MacOS.

Just get it nice and stable and leave it alone. Most of the new features they add are meaningless fluff for 99% of their users.

If you receive a message containing a certain character from an Indian language, iMessage will crash.  Also applies to third party messaging apps.