JosephManderley

Do you buy consoles at launch, or wait a while?

Thinking about it, most of the consoles I bought for myself I bought at launch.  I tend to get caught up in the hype surrounding a new console, and end up getting one either day one, or shortly afterwards.

Usually I have been happy with my purchase, but I did get burned a couple of times.  Are you like me and get swept up in hype, or more cautious and patient? 

Dreamcast - about a week after launch, loved it. 

PS2 - a couple of weeks after launch, couldn't find one at first.  Loved it. 

Gameboy Advance - Day 1, hated it, screen was too dark. Traded it after a couple of weeks. 

Wii - Day 1, loved it, my mother pre ordered it for me as a thank you gift for taking care of her when she was sick.  She died a few days after I got it, it was a couple of weeks before I could switch it on after that. 

DS Lite - got it about a year after it came out.  Enjoyed it. 

Wii U - Day 1, liked it at first, but quickly lost interest and sold it.  

Switch - Day 1, best first year of any console I have owned. 

What about you guys? 

nowadays I wait. I play most of my games on the PC so I wait until the playstation has built a up a decent chunk of exclusives then pick it up, I don't think I've turned my pro on since I beat Persona 5 though. 

16 minutes ago, elbobo said:

nowadays I wait. I play most of my games on the PC so I wait until the playstation has built a up a decent chunk of exclusives then pick it up, I don't think I've turned my pro on since I beat Persona 5 though. 

I envy your self discipline.  I just get too excited.  I wasn't going to get a Wii-U at launch, but I saw the Zombi U trailer (in fairness, a bloody good trailer!) and that was enough to get my hype juices flowing... I just can't help myself. 

I can't remember the last time a console offered a good enough launch lineup for me to even consider buying Day 1. I would need a minimum of two full on killers, especially nowadays. 

Last console I bought was regular PS4 and only a few days prior to Bloodborne's launch and specifically for Bloodborne. I still don't have that many games for it and there's no way I'm blowing more money on that thing by "upgrading" to a Pro. Most of the stuff I do have is multi-platform on top of it :/

I usually get new consoles at launch.  I haven't been let down yet.

Used to, now tend not to unless their is a couple of great games.   Ps4 I waited a year.  X1 still isn't worth buying for me.  Waited 6 months for switch.  Ps3 waited a good 8 months.  Last console got in day 1 was Xbox 360 with perfect dark (crap game) and froza or whatever the racing game was called.   Mostly bought it cause I bought a HDTV to go with it and wanted to experience all of that. 

None of these are worth day 1 purchases in my view. Nothing wrong with it, but your not really getting much. 

Well, before the PS4 and XBO, we were at the mercy of retail releases. (The XBLA was in its infancy so it was mainly PopCap games like Peggle)

I bought a N64 at launch... and then played Mario 64 and Pilotwings for the next six months

I bought a Game Boy Advance at launch... then they came out with a better one like a year later (so i bought it, but then they came out with a better one a year later).

I bought a Dreamcast at launch... and then played Crazy Taxi, NFL 2k, and Soul Calibur for what felt like an eternity until Resident Evil Code Veronica came out.

I bought a Gamecube at launch... then played Rogue Leader and Wave Race for like, a year

I bought a Xbox 360 at launch.. then played PGR3 and Dead or Alive 4 for the next five months until Oblivion came out.

I bought an XBO at launch... then tried to play my games for the first few months. Until they overhauled the dashboard.

All of my other consoles were after launch. My NES and SNES were christmas gifts, and my PS1 wasn't purchased until I was in college. I waited about a year to buy my PS2 (cuz of the "shortage"). I got my PS3 through that "we're sorry we fucked up" coupon that Sony released after PSN(I think?) was down for like a month. Waited on the PS4 for about six months. Bought my 2DS for a road trip. Same with Switch.

The consoles I waited on, I've enjoyed much more because of the amount of games available at lower prices. But it's tough though because I'm a gadget guy. I like new toys.

I usually don't buy at launch anymore.  First year line-ups generally aren't as exciting as they've been in the past for me.  (Switch being an exception)

I'm also less inclined to buy games on release now too, which also factors in.  Too often they try to upsell you on a 'complete' edition, when they'll turn around to release a fuller GOTY (or whatever) edition for cheap the next year.

Going back to the first systems I bought "on my own" - as in, they were not a Christmas or birthday gift:

Gameboy: The first system I've ever bought on my own. It wasn't at launch, because I was like...9 years old when it came out! You know how long it takes a 9 year old to save up $89.99 plus tax? ....I can't honestly remember, but I know I didn't get the system right away. But as soon as I had the funds for it, I "forced" my dad to drive me to a store called "Children's Palace" (no longer exists) and I laid down the cash for Nintendo's prime handheld. ...I was broke for probably the next year, but I had no regrets. Thankfully, Tetris is one of those games that can be played eternally! :sun:

SEGA Genesis: I think I bought the Version 3 of this system in like...2000, I think? So no where near launch, but I found it at a GameStop for cheap and decided to just go with it. 

SEGA Saturn: Bought it in 1998. Found it cheap and got a 4 MB RAM extension, plus import copies of Symphony of the Night, X-MEN vs. Street Fighter, and NiGHTS: Into Dreams. My roommate in college and I played X-MEN vs. Street Fighter almost endlessly. 

Gameboy Color: DAY ONE! It was a Gameboy, but better! I remember it being fairly cheap(ish) at launch so I was able to snag it right away. I should note I also bought the Gameboy Pocket at launch, but I don't count that as entirely new hardware. 

Neo Geo Pocket Color: Didn't get this until a full 6 YEARS after its launch. Mostly because I couldn't find it in stores, and honestly the GBC had me plenty occupied. I finally found one at an EB Games I worked at, so I was able to snag it sometime in 2005. Hey, better late than never! 

Gameboy Advance: About six months after launch. Got it same day as my PS2, which I bought after trading in my entire NES, SNES, and N64 gaming libraries. And a majority of my Gameboy collection at the time. At Funcoland. :monkey:

Playstation 2: About a year after launch. Basically waited for the "perfect storm" of PS2 titles to come out: Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy X and Devil May Cry.

Gamecube: Got it a couple of months after launch. Probably would have bought it Day One, but I didn't have the funds for it, so I had to save up for a while before I was able to pull the trigger on it. 

Xbox: I can't remember...it was at least a year after launch, but probably more likely it was a couple of years afterwards. I didn't keep it long, since I wasn't exactly thrilled with the games. 

DS: A month or so after launch. I think I pulled the trigger so quickly on this one was because I worked at an EB Games and I was able to get a sweet discount on it. Plus all my co-workers at the time were getting one, and I absolutely loved Feel The Magic: XY/XX. I had to have it! :P 

3DS: DAY ONE! This was a no-brainer to me, since the original DS had become my favorite system of all time. The 3DS was basically everything the DS was, PLUS more! I still have my launch unit somewhere in my house, though I've since upgraded to the NEW 3DS. ;) 

Switch: DAY ONE as well! I have no idea why. I guess I got caught up in the launch hype? I dunno. It's a cool portable system so I was going to buy it anyway, so may as well jump in when a lot of my "IRL" buddies were getting one, too. No real regrets here, though I've surprisingly not played it that much. I still primarily game on my 3DS. *shrugs*

I have other systems too, but those I've been lucky enough to acquire through birthdays/holidays. The ones listed above are only ones I've bought with my own money (or trade credit). It seems that, now that I'm older and have disposable income, I'm buying systems closer and closer to launch. At least, the ones I know I want. 

I guess I usually wait when I think about it. I was really lucky to get the PS4 day one thank to my folks on D1P hooking a brother up with good intel. I was going to wait for the PS4 until I saw a video of NBA2k14. 

Always have bought at launch, money has never been the problem so yea, at launch. That is {and I am so proud of myself} until I read and then saw the launch of the Xbox One X! I have put my foot down and am waiting until I see a White version of this impressive new'ish console. So this is the first one other than the PS2 as It was hard to find. So I have 2 ps4, one ps4 pro {white}, 2 xbox ones, one xbox one s {white} and am looking to build and replace the PC in sig so I just can't justify for the first time this New Xbox One x until its is also white completing the look again. Just not going to do it this time, and it has been kinda hard as impressions have been pretty good. I never choose between consoles, we buy them all . .  

side note: I'm gonna grab the first Switch I see in white also, not a skin, the whole thing. I'm fine if this takes awhile though as I don't play that thing much.

42 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

It seems that, now that I'm older and have disposable income, I'm buying systems closer and closer to launch. At least, the ones I know I want. 

This is my experience too.  My family were not poor growing up, but there wasn't a lot of spare money for expensive toys and games.

Since I have been working and earning my own money I find it hard to resist buying the consoles I want, justifying the expense as 'I worked hard to earn the money, so I deserve it.' 

I don't fall for hype anymore so I just wait. It took me 2 or 3 years before I bought a PS4. Same goes for a ton of games anymore. Day 1 purchases are rare for me.

Only one I’ve ever purchased at launch is the PS4. I typically buy them within 1.5 years of release. MS has saved me some money this gen with their cross play stuff. I have absolutely zero need for an XB1. 

1 hour ago, JosephManderley said:

I find it hard to resist buying the consoles I want, justifying the expense as 'I worked hard to earn the money, so I deserve it.' 

I hear that. It's a potentially slippery slope, so I'll admit I'm thankful my wife kinda helps keep tabs on the gaming stuff I buy. I need someone like that to give me some restraint...otherwise I may end up putting myself in debt, haha. (but I'd have so many games and systems!) 

Though with that said, my spending habits have been curbed by my job and personal life. I do far more traveling than I ever had before, so to keep up with gaming I mostly rely on portable systems. And since there is really only like...one (or two at best) systems that can cater to that need, I haven't had to buy as much hardware this gen. At least, so far.

Day 1.  I think the only purchase I made Day 1 that I regret is the Vive. I don’t have space for it and the games never really materialize as I hoped.

Consoles are cheap enough. I don’t see the benefit in waiting a year to save $50-100 in price and receive a pack-in game. I like being able to play any game that interests me on release. 

I wait.  The Xbox One X being the rare exception; guess I got caught up in the hype.  Don't regret the purchase though..

Only about half of the time I have got a launch system.

Sega Genesis - got a used one in 1994 for my Birthday.
N64 - bought it with my sister combining the money the money we got for Christmas in Dec 1996.
PSOne - same story as the N64, but bought a year later in Dec 1997.
PS2 - waited in line starting at 1am to buy at launch.
Game Cube - walked into Walmart at midnight at launch.
Xbox - Got as a birthday present in 2003.
Xbox 360 - managed to buy online within a month from launch in Dec 2005.
Wii - knew a store manager at a Blockbuster Game Rush that held a Wii for me on launch day.
PS3 - bought a 60GB fatty when Sony announced they were discontinuing the model and stop building backwards compatibility in PS3s.
Xbone - preordered through my 360 and it was delivered at launch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk