Sign in to follow this  
ManUtdRedDevils

Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology’s Friendly Mode

Polygon published its review of Radiant Historia. One of the features talked about in the review sounds really great. 

Chronology’s Friendly mode allows you to simply bypass all these battles, and in doing so it greatly improves the overall experience. In the original Historia, you could attack an enemy on the field before entering battle to gain first-round initiative. In Friendly mode, striking a foe outside of combat instantly defeats them, granting you all the experience and cash you’d normally earn in battle. By removing all those constant, protracted fights from the picture, Chronology allows you to focus entirely on the story. This does wonders for the game’s most arduous sequences. Skimming past combat keeps the pace brisk and lively even when you find yourself struggling to advance the story.

It might seem a shame to cut Historia’s excellent battle mechanics completely out of the picture. That’s what makes Friendly especially great: You don’t have to remove combat altogether. If you like, you can fight enemies properly rather than simply defeating them with a preemptive strike. Plus, certain plot-critical battles (along with all enemy encounters in one of Chronology’s new side stories, the Vault of Time) can’t be avoided: Some combat is required no matter what. Friendly mode doesn’t abandon its RPG elements; it simply allows players to focus on exploring the story without the burden of constant distractions.

I for one welcome these options that we are seeing in JRPGs. The idea of playing the same scenario over and over is a cool idea except in practice, fighting the same fights over and over stinks. I really like this ability to play a scenario through once normally and then having the option to skip more battles each time I have to replay a scenario.   I really hope this trend continues with new releases and not just remasters/remakes. 

Review - 8/10

Sounds cool to me. But maybe instead of options like this, make the combat fit into the flow of the game better and be more fun?

On 2/13/2018 at 4:35 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I just got my copy in the mail. Now how long will it take me to play it? :thinking: 

To get to playing it, or how long will it take to finish?

Either way I’m guessing two weeks.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By SFLUFAN
      I distinctly remember being VERY excited for this joint project between Arkane and Valve when it was first announced!

I've wanted to hear exactly what happened to this project for years!
    • By SFLUFAN
      For its 2017 retrospective, Polygon enlisted designers, authors, and critics to provide their perspectives on the games of 2017.

The minds behind Uncharted and Firewatch talk candidly about surviving in the games industry - Amy Hennig and Sean Vanaman discuss the challenges of development and aging in the industry

What big publishers can learn about representation from small games - Meg Jaynath (the writer of 80 Days) on Butterfly Soup and Dream Daddy

Wolfenstein raises the question: When did punching Nazis become controversial? - Steve Gaynor (the founder of Fullbright) on Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus

PUBG helped me learn to meditate - Haley Gross (the co-writer of The Last of Us Part 2) on PUBG

Mario + Rabbids inspired the creative director of XCOM to reevaluate the genre - Jake Solomon (the creative director of XCOM) on Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Playing BioShock Infinite in the age of Trump is unsettling, but not for the obvious reasons - Ana Maria Cox (the host of Crooked Media’s With Friends Like These) on BioShock Infinite

Ken Levine on Zelda and the terrifying need to demolish the old to make way for the new - The director of BioShock and BioShock Infinite on The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Nier: Automata’s robots remind us that being human isn’t as great as it’s cracked up to be - Charles Webb (the co-writer of Mafia 3) on Nier: Automata

A video game that doesn’t click until you let go of the controller — and your need to win - Virginia Hefferman (the host of Slate’s Trumpcast) on Everything

What future artificial intelligence will think of our puny human video games - Charles Yu (a former writer on HBO's Westworld and author of How to Live Safely in a Science-Fictional Universe) on Universal Paperclips and Subsurface Circular

Super Mario Odyssey is fun to learn and pointless to master - Ian Dallas (the creative director of What Remains of Edith Finch) on Super Mario Odyssey

The warning of Edith Finch: what we love is killing us - Cara Ellison (a narrative designer on Media Molecule’s upcoming Dreams) on What Remains of Edith Finch

• By SFLUFAN
      This week Polygon will be showcasing the two games and their respective studios that will be releasing BattleTech games in 2018.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries - Back in the Cockpit After 15 Years

BattleTech’s turn-based PC game wants to be the next Firefly: An ensemble cast riding around in big, stompy robots

The BattleTech Timeline: What every MechWarrior should know

The Birth of BattleTech: We look at the creation of one of gaming’s most iconic franchises