Sign in to follow this  
SFLUFAN

Lord Bezos reveals "The Final 20" cities for Amazon HQ2

5 minutes ago, Jose said:

It just better not be NYC. That would be so stupid.

LOL, why would they pick NYC when cost of living in Seattle is one of the motivators for this?

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

LOL, why would they pick NYC when cost of living in Seattle is one of the motivators for this?

For the pizza?!

They're going to pick a place where they can leach off the local talent. I personally think it will be Austin or Toronto.

The reasons for Toronto is: Cheaper dollar, large pool of engineers in close proximity (Waterloo, Toronto & Montreal), They have a sizable and growing engineering office here.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Well it's a finalist, so that has me annoyed. 

Austin or Pittsburg if they want to give their employees a good place to live.

Columbus if Amazon wants more political influence. 

I take back my previous post. It will be in the DC metro area no question about it. The fact that northern Virginia, DC, and a county in Maryland are all on the list is too much of a coincidence. This is Amazon further shopping for a deal. Bezos had a home in DC, AWS and other Amazon services are already there, along with the fake news Washington Post.

Now, it may be Loudoun county, but it will be DC metro.

8 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Now, it may be Loudoun county, but it will be DC metro.

I had the identical thoughts once I realized the 3 DC metro areas as well.

Oh good Christ :/

17 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I had the identical thoughts once I realized the 3 DC metro areas as well.

Oh good Christ :/

You guys added a million people in the past decade, 50k is a drop in the bucket, particularly since it would need to ramp up to that number. I don't doubt that they will want to be accessable by DC Metro so that may help, if they don't die on a train first.

15 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

You guys added a million people in the past decade, 50k is a drop in the bucket, particularly since it would need to ramp up to that number. I don't doubt that they will want to be accessable by DC Metro so that may help, if they don't die on a train first.

Oh, I'm not referring to the number of potential hires.  I'm referring to how insufferable it will be to have Bezos around more often!

I've heard a lot of people complain how this HQ will affect traffic in whatever city they pick but I believe Indianapolis's infrastructure can actually handle this. Honestly with the job losses in the area there is certainly plenty of workers available.

Wired has a look at Newark's bid. Newark is offering $7 Billion in incentives ($5B from the State, $2B from the city), which is a lot considering Amazon is "only" going to invest $5B. The article brings up Newark's unemployment and poverty rates, but it's hard to imagine that Amazon's HQ2 would affect those much. No matter where they build it, a significant portion of the new jobs will be taken by transplants from all over.

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Wired has a look at Newark's bid. Newark is offering $7 Billion in incentives ($5B from the State, $2B from the city), which is a lot considering Amazon is "only" going to invest $5B. The article brings up Newark's unemployment and poverty rates, but it's hard to imagine that Amazon's HQ2 would affect those much. No matter where they build it, a significant portion of the new jobs will be taken by transplants from all over.

FWIW, those jobs will lead to job growth in other sectors (service, hospitality, entertainment, etc.) Whether that type of growth is worth the investment is the question.

48 minutes ago, -Chris said:

FWIW, those jobs will lead to job growth in other sectors (service, hospitality, entertainment, etc.) Whether that type of growth is worth the investment is the question.

Looking strictly at state income tax, and assuming that 40,000 of these 50,000 Amazon workers are subject to the tax at an average income of $100k....it would take nearly 30 years for the state to break even on the $5 billion in incentives. "Only" 24 years if all 50,000 pay the full income tax

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Looking strictly at state income tax, and assuming that 40,000 of these 50,000 Amazon workers are subject to the tax at an average income of $100k....it would take nearly 30 years for the state to break even on the $5 billion in incentives. "Only" 24 years if all 50,000 pay the full income tax

How much tax revenue would be generated from all the construction that would be necessary? 

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

How much tax revenue would be generated from all the construction that would be necessary? 

No idea. Same for sales and property taxes. This is just some back of the envelop numbers that I can throw together in five minutes flat.

4 hours ago, DPCyric said:

I've heard a lot of people complain how this HQ will affect traffic in whatever city they pick but I believe Indianapolis's infrastructure can actually handle this. Honestly with the job losses in the area there is certainly plenty of workers available.

I would say 465 would be a parking lot during daylight but I doubt the vampire lord would allow his employees to leave work while the sun is out. 

I've seen Dallas as a front runner a few times, I really don't want them here. It's gonna fuck up a lot of shit for us:

• Traffic will be a cluster fuck
  • The real estate market here has been on constant fire for years now and will get worse (ditto for Austin/Denver). While my property only continues to rise in value it also makes it impossible to responsibly upgrade or move around in the area. 
  • The IT market here is great, but this would add unnecessary strain and resource competition for most software companies here
    • As someone who's been a part of hiring developers, that shit takes a long time already. It'll only get worse. 

Fuck off :)

If I had to place money on one, I'd say Austin.

I think Denver would be a more interesting choice though.

Boston might also have a shot because they already have people there--Amazon robotics came from it for one (Kiva) and there is a ton of AI talent in the area.

12 minutes ago, legend said:

Yep, I work with one of the founders of Kiva (Amazon Robotics). :D 

Those robots are very cool and help a lot in those mega warehouses. Makes you wonder what the next 20 years in robotics will be like.

36 minutes ago, therockdltj said:

Those robots are very cool and help a lot in those mega warehouses. Makes you wonder what the next 20 years in robotics will be like.

In your home, helping you, and learning new things you want it to do.