GuyWhoPredictsThings

Eurogamer: Microsoft plots Fable return due to Sony's success with Horizon Zero Dawn

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-01-17-sources-microsoft-plots-fable-return

Work is underway on a brand new, big-budget Fable game, Eurogamer can reveal.

Fable franchise owner Microsoft has tasked UK developer Playground, which makes the Forza Horizon racing games for Xbox and PC, with creating this new Fable, sources close to the project have told Eurogamer. Microsoft said in a statement it does not comment on rumour or speculation.

We've heard the new Fable is planned as a story and character-focussed open-world action RPG. A significant investment in its development is also planned, with some 200 people set to work on the game at Playground's newly-established second office in Leamington Spa, Warwickshire.

According to former Lionhead developers, staff at the studio had wanted to make a story-driven, single-player Fable 4 while Legends was in the works, and had hoped the studio would move on to making such a game after Legends was done and dusted.

Ex-Lionhead staff Eurogamer spoke with said they were excited to see Playground bring Fable back from the dead, but this excitement is tempered somewhat by a sadness that Lionhead was never given the chance to make its dream Fable 4.

So, what changed? We've heard Microsoft's rekindled interest in Fable was in part inspired by Sony's phenomenal success with Guerrilla Games' PlayStation 4-exclusive Horizon Zero Dawn. As of June 2017, Guerrilla's story-driven, single-player open-world action RPG had sold over 3.4m copies.

4 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

Having never played a Fable game.... In what way is it like H:ZD?

I always pictured Fable as a fart-joke game....

It's not like Horizon. However, judging from Eurogamer's article, it looks like the success of an open-world single-player RPG like Horizon inspired them to return to it. It's also why, despite closing Lionhead a couple year ago, who developed Fable originally, they're already returning to it. 

I feel bad for Lionhead considering they would have loved to have worked on it. However, the success of a great single-player game encouraging the development of others is a really cool thing.

I hope it is massively overhauled with better NPC interaction and far fewer loading screens.  The world never felt all that open when you saw so many loading screens.

I can't really say I feel bad for Lionhead. They had three opportunities to turn that series into a massive success. The first game was the best out of the three, then it just kinda went downhill from there. Then the rest of the Fable games were reduced to Kinect junk and party games because MS was trying to keep the brand alive despite not having 6 years to commit to a fully developed title (which is ironic because if they would've just started one at the announcement of the XBO it would probably be out by now.)

That said I still think the series has huge potential, but if MS is just now putting a team together for it, we're not going to see this for at least two or three more years. Phil Spencer has said in the pas that they were done announcing games so far in advance of their intended release, but the rumors floating around, paired with the ever-growing "no games" mentality people ahve toward the Xbox, they're going to have to announce at E3.

EDIT: The success of Horizon: Zero Dawn and Zelda Breath of the Wild shows there are still gamers out there that want expansive single player experiences. Microsoft NEEDS that part of its library. They need a flagship RPG/action game.

6 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I can't really say I feel bad for Lionhead. They had three opportunities to turn that series into a massive success. The first game was the best out of the three, then it just kinda went downhill from there. Then the rest of the Fable games were reduced to Kinect junk and party games because MS was trying to keep the brand alive despite not having 6 years to commit to a fully developed title (which is ironic because if they would've just started one at the announcement of the XBO it would probably be out by now.)

That said I still think the series has huge potential, but if MS is just now putting a team together for it, we're not going to see this for at least two or three more years. Phil Spencer has said in the pas that they were done announcing games so far in advance of their intended release, but the rumors floating around, paired with the ever-growing "no games" mentality people ahve toward the Xbox, they're going to have to announce at E3.

With Horizon taking as long as it did, I would figure this is coming out in, like, 2020 or something if they're lucky, maybe longer. But big games like that take time, so it's cool.

9 minutes ago, GuyWhoPredictsThings said:

With Horizon taking as long as it did, I would figure this is coming out in, like, 2020 or something if they're lucky, maybe longer. But big games like that take time, so it's cool.

But that's what makes me uneasy about this whole thing. MS doesn't have that long. I mean they do, but if they announce something now that's not coming out for three to five years, they're doomed. They've already been dismissed by large portion of the gaming community as having no games, despite my personal Xbox having about 160 installed and 130+ in my Ready list. Anything they announce needs to be a year or less away, and they know this. But I have a bad feeling all these leaks and rumors are going to force their hand, and a game that they could've taken their time on is going to get crunched to release while the hype is fresh.

6 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

But that's what makes me uneasy about this whole thing. MS doesn't have that long. I mean they do, but if they announce something now that's not coming out for three to five years, they're doomed. They've already been dismissed by large portion of the gaming community as having no games, despite my personal Xbox having about 160 installed and 130+ in my Ready list. Anything they announce needs to be a year or less away, and they know this. But I have a bad feeling all these leaks and rumors are going to force their hand, and a game that they could've taken their time on is going to get crunched to release while the hype is fresh.

Well, I've said for a while now that I think Phil Spencer is terrible and the dearth the past few years is due in large part to him, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Personally, that's on them if they do that. But they did delay Crackdown 3 despite having known about it for almost four years now, so hopefully they let it bake regardless.

25 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I actually think Fable 2 was the best of them. Fable 1 had more impact since it was the first and had all that hype, but I think Fable 2 is easily the better game.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Try to get your combat multiplier even higher!

Your health is low! Do you have any potions? Or food?

100% in! MS's lack of a flagship RPG makes me sad, and filling that gap in the line up would go a long way to earning my wallet love! 

42 minutes ago, GuyWhoPredictsThings said:

You're right -- if they're still staffing up the studio -- 2020 would be optimistic.

This is likely a next-Xbox game...

1 minute ago, mikechorney said:

You're right -- if they're still staffing up the studio -- 2020 would be optimistic.

An Xbox One X Two Y game

5 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

I can see it being an Xbox One X game. I can see MS phasing out the S in a year or two, then we'll have at least another year or so before they release the Xbox One XL.

Oh wait, they can't do that, Nintendo's got dibs on that naming convention...

30 minutes ago, legend said:

I actually think Fable 2 was the best of them. Fable 1 had more impact since it was the first and had all that hype, but I think Fable 2 is easily the better game.

I was thinking in terms of Fable Anniversary, but yeah, my comment was the original trilogy so Fable II would probably be the best of the three.

Just now, XxEvil AshxX said:

I can see it being an Xbox One X game. I can see MS phasing out the S in a year or two, then we'll have at least another year or so before they announce the Xbox One XL.

Oh wait, they can't do that, Nintendo's got dibs on that naming convention...

I agree, it may be compatible with Xbox One X (but not the S)-- it depends on what happens with the next round of console "improvements".  I would be surprised if the "next" consoles aren't out by 2021 -- and wouldn't be surprised if it was a year (or two) earlier than that...

8 minutes ago, StephenO1683 said:

Horizon was a good game though.  The fables never were.  

I wish I had played Fable 2 at the time. I had it, but I wasn't into open-world RPGs at that point, so I never started it. Even if I ended up not liking it, I still would have liked to have played it to find out.

12 minutes ago, GuyWhoPredictsThings said:

I wish I had played Fable 2 at the time. I had it, but I wasn't into open-world RPGs at that point, so I never started it. Even if I ended up not liking it, I still would have liked to have played it to find out.

If only there was a way to play it now. thinking-face_1f914.png

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

If only there was a way to play it now. thinking-face_1f914.png

:lol: I don't have a 360 anymore; I sold it when I was tight on cash one month many years ago since I hadn't touched it in a while . :( 

6 minutes ago, StephenO1683 said:

Bone backwards compatibility?

5 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

He doesn't have a bone, he's boneless!

Ya, I'm posting this news because I like posting news. Whenever I get another console, it'll likely be a Switch.