Jump to content
GuyWhoPredictsThings

Eurogamer: Microsoft plots Fable return due to Sony's success with Horizon Zero Dawn

Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Too bad we already gave our Xbone to Tomcat... :whistlin:

I'm loving every minute of it.  Next move is to get an elite controller. Then a new tv.  The new TCLs  come with more lighting zones so i'll probably wait till they release unless someone has a nice clearance sale on the current model

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully it doesn't suck. They need to basically start from scratch and almost make it like a new IP just with the Fable name and some of the base mechanics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

 

I was thinking in terms of Fable Anniversary, but yeah, my comment was the original trilogy so Fable II would probably be the best of the three.

 

Ah, yeah anniversary had a lot more polish than the original. I think I'd still pick 2 over it, but it's much closer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope that without Molyneaux they can focus on nailing the fundamentals of the game and not go overboard trying to implement some pie-in-the-sky concepts. With Fable, it seemed more like they were trying to build a game to serve their features rather than build their features to serve the game. H:ZD had a great story, an amazing setting, and really fun combat. Everything unique or special about it served those fundamentals.

 

I'm hopeful that this will turn out well. I don't have a lot of love for the Fable franchise, but I'd love to see it become something great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, they should do a Zelda BotW-like open world, but be more of a comedy and go deep on how your character is affected visually and skill-wise by how you play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, legend said:

IMO, they should do a Zelda BotW-like open world, but be more of a comedy and go deep on how your character is affected visually and skill-wise by how you play.

 

I disagree. I fucking hated the way my character looked in the Fable games. I don't wanna look like Palpatine just cuz I use magic to heal myself and throw the occasional fireball. I don't wanna look like Conan just cuz I put a few points into my strength tier. I think they should ditch that and go full customization. If it's MY story, let ME decide what I look like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm okay with a new developer taking a crack at the franchise.  But Lionhead was closed in 2016.  Horizon was revealed in 2015.  If this article is true, that's an incredible lack of foresight on Microsoft's part - of course Horizon was going to be a big deal.  Seems like a stupid, reactionary move to close that studio when they did.

 

I would have wanted to see Lionhead continue to work on something new after Fable Legends.  Like Rare got the chance to with Sea of Theaves, or Retro with the DKC Returns games.  They just weren't given the chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought the fable series had a lot of cool ideas that just never actually turned into a fun overall experience.

 

Would be cool if someone could get it right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

 

I disagree. I fucking hated the way my character looked in the Fable games. I don't wanna look like Palpatine just cuz I use magic to heal myself and throw the occasional fireball. I don't wanna look like Conan just cuz I put a few points into my strength tier. I think they should ditch that and go full customization. If it's MY story, let ME decide what I look like.

 

There's something to be said for the artistic choices they make :P However, I really like the idea in principle because your mere appearance tells a story of who your character is. In general, I like consequences and system-driven RPGs. Following that, I would like the appearance to have impacts on how characters respond to you (they were really shallow in this regard in Fable where it was basically "scared" vs. "love.")

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GuyWhoPredictsThings said:

I feel bad for Lionhead considering they would have loved to have worked on it. However, the success of a great single-player game encouraging the development of others is a really cool thing.

Really? I feel more like it's Microsoft eternally trying to play catch-up instead of just going for it. It's like they have no idea what the fuck they're doing unless Sony does it first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Really? I feel more like it's Microsoft eternally trying to play catch-up instead of just going for it. It's like they have no idea what the fuck they're doing unless Sony does it first.


Not just Sony.  Anyone that starts a trend.  That's why they bought Mojang and tried to buy Bluehole.

 

At the very least, I have to give it them that a new Fable would walk back some of Phil's recent comments a little.  IMO, the last thing they should be doing is chasing the multiplayer cash cows of today.  Lawbreakers and Paragon are a great indication that the space is too crowded.  I worry that next E3, that's going to be their main focus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GuyWhoPredictsThings said:

 

Well, I've said for a while now that I think Phil Spencer is terrible and the dearth the past few years is due in large part to him, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

Personally, that's on them if they do that. But they did delay Crackdown 3 despite having known about it for almost four years now, so hopefully they let it bake regardless.

 

I remember complaining here about MS resting on their laurels and "WTH are they doing?!" long before he took control...as early as I think 2012.

 

He was the one who started turning the ship back to being about games when he took over.  That takes time and some things haven't worked out. 

 

5 hours ago, legend said:

 

I actually think Fable 2 was the best of them. Fable 1 had more impact since it was the first and had all that hype, but I think Fable 2 is easily the better game.

 

X Plays game of the year that year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

I'm okay with a new developer taking a crack at the franchise.  But Lionhead was closed in 2016.  Horizon was revealed in 2015.  If this article is true, that's an incredible lack of foresight on Microsoft's part - of course Horizon was going to be a big deal.  Seems like a stupid, reactionary move to close that studio when they did.

 

I would have wanted to see Lionhead continue to work on something new after Fable Legends.  Like Rare got the chance to with Sea of Theaves, or Retro with the DKC Returns games.  They just weren't given the chance.

 

I mean, yeah, I do agree, and I feel bad for Lionhead on that front. But I think it's more seeing that a game like this can be successful in today's climate and seeing there's a high demand for this kind of game . I imagine they saw Horizon in 2015, yeah, and probably would look to see how it did. Seeing that its sales were actually great (one of the Top 10 in the UK, and Top 10 before December ended in the US, all despite being on one platform) probably spurred them in resurrecting the franchise.

 

Yeah, that's still not the same in doing what was done for Guerrilla, which was allow them to look at the first party slate and do something they hadn't done and fill in a hole in Sony's line-up, 

 

13 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Really? I feel more like it's Microsoft eternally trying to play catch-up instead of just going for it. It's like they have no idea what the fuck they're doing unless Sony does it first.

 

I've been one of the biggest Spencer critics on that front, no doubt. Lionhead just closed a couple years ago, so I agree with the above that there doesn't seem to be a solid direction. I can't argue with the logic, but I've definitely seen positive responses around the web from Xbox fans who missed Fable, and I think that part's a good thing.

 

3 minutes ago, BuckFly said:

 

I remember complaining here about MS resting on their laurels and "WTH are they doing?!" long before he took control...as early as I think 2012.

 

He was the one who started turning the ship back to being about games when he took over.  That takes time and some things haven't worked out. 

 

He had quite a big position in 2012, too, and plenty of sway. 360's first party lineup was far superior to this one. And reading some insiders on GAF over the years, I'm convinced he's partly responsible for the thinner line-up we've seen compared to the the glory days in MS's publishing. He definitely is right now, and "it takes time" doesn't cut it anymore since he's been saying the same song and dance for years now about MS's output. There were more games releasing and in development before he took over, as we saw from their pretty good 2014 line-up that dwindled each year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GuyWhoPredictsThings said:

 

 

 

He had quite a big position in 2012, too, and plenty of sway. 360's first party lineup was far superior to this one. And reading some insiders on GAF over the years, I'm convinced he's partly responsible for the thinner line-up we've seen compared to the the glory days in MS's publishing. He definitely is right now, and "it takes time" doesn't cut it anymore since he's been saying the same song and dance for years now about MS's output. There were more games releasing and in development before he took over, as we saw from their pretty good 2014 line-up that dwindled each year.

 

Hmmm, interesting.  I did not know that.  Thanks, Guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GuyWhoPredictsThings said:

 

I mean, yeah, I do agree, and I feel bad for Lionhead on that front. But I think it's more seeing that a game like this can be successful in today's climate and seeing there's a high demand for this kind of game . I imagine they saw Horizon in 2015, yeah, and probably would look to see how it did. Seeing that its sales were actually great (one of the Top 10 in the UK, and Top 10 before December ended in the US, all despite being on one platform) probably spurred them in resurrecting the franchise.

 

Yeah, that's still not the same in doing what was done for Guerrilla, which was allow them to look at the first party slate and do something they hadn't done and fill in a hole in Sony's line-up, 

 

That's silly.  I'm sure this would have been on the cards for them after Forza Horizon was out.

 

I think Microsoft was simply too focused on finding another multiplayer megahit to give Lionhead the benefit of the doubt to work on something single player again.  Now, they probably realize they had to answer Sony with something with Scalebound cancelled.  I think whatever this next Fable will be is meant to fill that hole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

 

That's silly.  I'm sure this would have been on the cards for them after Forza Horizon was out.

 

I think Microsoft was simply too focused on finding another multiplayer megahit to give Lionhead the benefit of the doubt to work on something single player again.  Now, they probably realize they had to answer Sony with something with Scalebound cancelled.  I think whatever this next Fable will be is meant to fill that hole.

 

Hey, I'm just going by what their sources are telling them. The hires were recent, so it certainly doesn't look like something they did until after Horizon Zero Dawn had been out for a while. I don't think it necessarily conflicts with your idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the art and models in Fable Legends were quite nice, I just wasn't interested in the MP only gameplay. If they can use those resources in this new game it could give them a nice head start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All this Fable talk brings Kingdoms of Amalur to mind.  I enjoyed that one.  It was like a bigger, more serious Fable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, StephenO1683 said:

Fable Anniversary is on Steam.

 

Fable 2 isn't on steam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has me pretty excited. I loved Fable 1&2. Hopefully they can deliver what Project Ego promised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since this is a ways off please just give us X enhanced Fable 1 Anniversary and Fable 2 while we wait, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, stepee said:

Since this is a ways off please just give us X enhanced Fable 1 Anniversary and Fable 2 while we wait, thanks.

I was so excited for F1A. Too bad it ran poorly and so much of the art direction changes were just bad.

I would like to see it done with some minor changes and better optimization

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Nokt said:

I was so excited for F1A. Too bad it ran poorly and so much of the art direction changes were just bad.

I would like to see it done with some minor changes and better optimization

 

They've improved the emulation on XBO for Fable Anniversary. The first time I played it, it was damn near unplayable due to the horrible framerate. I just recently played it through, like, two weeks ago, and it's much better. Nothing to be done about the ugmo art direction though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There really needs to be an RPG where you actions have a profound impact on the world around you instead of maybe the occassional one sentence throw away line. Like if you play a good guy, people react to that and want your help more. People mention it, downtrodden people and towns you helped out flourish and thrive later in the game (and not just one guy you helped gives you 1000 gold later on when he's rich like a few games have done). If you're a good guy, the assassin guild questline or whatever isn't open to you anymore. Assassin's come after you for killing all the bad guys in area, stuff like that

 

If you're bad guy, people know it. Maybe people want to attack you. That town you screwed over turns to shit. That guy you fucked over earlier fucks you over later. The fighters guild or whatever wants to kill you for your misdeeds. This shit needs to happen. in 2018 it should be possible to make a game where morality affects more than just the color of skills or character or at best locks you into the good or bad skill tree (Infamous). 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Dodger said:

There really needs to be an RPG where you actions have a profound impact on the world around you instead of maybe the occassional one sentence throw away line. Like if you play a good guy, people react to that and want your help more. People mention it, downtrodden people and towns you helped out flourish and thrive later in the game (and not just one guy you helped gives you 1000 gold later on when he's rich like a few games have done). If you're a good guy, the assassin guild questline or whatever isn't open to you anymore. Assassin's come after you for killing all the bad guys in area, stuff like that

 

If you're bad guy, people know it. Maybe people want to attack you. That town you screwed over turns to shit. That guy you fucked over earlier fucks you over later. The fighters guild or whatever wants to kill you for your misdeeds. This shit needs to happen. in 2018 it should be possible to make a game where morality affects more than just the color of skills or character or at best locks you into the good or bad skill tree (Infamous). 

 

 

 

You know, Infamous actually does have a bit of that. People will try to attack you if you're bad but will help you if you're good as I noticed in many of my encounters. They'll cheer you on as you're roaming around but curse you if you choose the evil route. It's not complicated, obviously, but some of it is there.

 

Arkham City was cool because even though the world is essentially the same, the conversations you overhear from enemy thugs acknowledge all events, including the end-game events. Same with Arkham Knight, which was also noticeable whenever you'd transfer a villain to the police department.

 

It's basically been smaller things, but whatever game is not only great but also encompasses a whole world-altering landscape is going to be huge. It'll like take a while because you'd need both a huge team and many years to work on something that detailed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, GuyWhoPredictsThings said:

 

You know, Infamous actually does have a bit of that. People will try to attack you if you're bad but will help you if you're good as I noticed in many of my encounters. They'll cheer you on as you're roaming around but curse you if you choose the evil route. It's not complicated, obviously, but some of it is there.

 

Arkham City was cool because even though the world is essentially the same, the conversations you overhear from enemy thugs acknowledge all events, including the end-game events. Same with Arkham Knight, which was also noticeable whenever you'd transfer a villain to the police department.

 

It's basically been smaller things, but whatever game is not only great but also encompasses a whole world-altering landscape is going to be huge. It'll like take a while because you'd need both a huge team and many years to work on something that detailed.

 

But even that is minor details, and the Batman stuff is literally like a throw away line or two like hey can't believe they got Riddler not gonna let that happen to me!

 

Maybe it would be a big undertaking but we should be in the era where it would be possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2018 at 8:11 AM, mikechorney said:

Having never played a Fable game.... In what way is it like H:ZD?

 

I always pictured Fable as a fart-joke game....

Nothing similar in any way, shape or form, unless you want to talk stupid (they are both third person, they both have houses in the game, they both have people, etc).

 

I've played (and finished) the first three fables and while they were fun little games at the time, they are nothing near the quality, craftsmanship, story or maturity of Horizons Zero Dawn.  

 

Of course, they are not talking about making a Horizons Zero Dawn like Fable, they are talking about matching its success, which could be done with a Fable game I suppose, but the last few have been of questionable quality, and I am not sure if the brand can recover from that, especially with comments like your own.

 

Microsoft would be well and good to do some good new IP's that have quality, but they have issues with that it seems.  Recore was the last original IP that Microsoft seems to have published, and from what I have read (never played it) the game is loaded with issues, though most people seem to have at least liked it who played it.  

 

Microsoft is strange though.  It seems like they have no direction when it comes to creating games and I know from personal experience, that what does happen sometimes at Microsoft is one VP or President will approve a game and then they will change position or move to a different company, and the next VP or President will "go in a different direction" and the game gets fucked as a result.  This isn't something you hear a lot in the press (gaming journalism sucks) but it is true and if you know anybody who works at Microsoft or you worked at Microsoft, you figure this out pretty quick.

 

Of course, this is my 2 cents.  You may disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×