JosephManderley

Switch Online service (what's going on???)

One of the things I was hoping to hear about in a January direct was the Switch's paid online service - which we know pretty much nothing about.  Wasn't it supposed to start around this time?  

I liked the stuff we saw in the "Mini" Direct, but that can't be "it" for January, surely?   There are so many things left unanswered.

Netflix, Youtube, Browser, Virtual Console, Paid Online....

I hope we get a "Proper" Direct to clear some of this up soon - we will right?  

Another "Nindies" Direct would be good too.  Some of my favourite games on Switch are indie titles.

12 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I'm guessing that Nintendo is still developing the service's infrastructure.  

It was originally supposed to have started by now.  If they are still "working on it" then that doesn't bode well....

2 minutes ago, JosephManderley said:

It was originally supposed to have started by now.  If they are still "working on it" then that doesn't bode well....

Actually, the fact that they are still working on it seems like good news to me. They aren't rushing it out. Which is fine by me, take all the time needed. Make it right. And in the meantime, I'll enjoy playing online for free. :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Actually, the fact that they are still working on it seems like good news to me. They aren't rushing it out. Which is fine by me, take all the time needed. Make it right. And in the meantime, I'll enjoy playing online for free. :thumbsup:

Well there is that... :)   I guess I'm just impatient!

I don't think Nintendo thought the Switch would blow up like it did. That's why they likely went with a "mini" direct this month. They got a lot to say, and be prepared for now that the world in really taking notice of Nintendo again. I'm betting E3 is going to be insane. 

9 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

This statement could not be truer.  Nintendo absolutely does not want to bungle the launch of the paid online service so taking their time to eliminate as many issues as possible is the correct course of action.

8 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Hopefully they've heard from the masses about Splatoon 2's voice chat implementation being trash.

I'd be highly surprised if they did :P

I would be too.

I hope the subscription still stays at $20 and involves reworking online into older games.

18 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Hopefully they've heard from the masses about Splatoon 2's voice chat implementation being trash.

I think they added voice chat, even in the very limited way they did, to try and cater to the few who cared about voice chat.  Where this games sells best (Japan), I don't think voice chat is nearly of the same demand.  

I think Nintendo online stuff doing the minimalist possible, is the best they can do (current offering).  When they try to offer something, it'll undoubtedly under deliver.

:P

They're looking for just the right ways to fuck this up tremendously in a way only Nintendo could. If you think they're working on it to get it to be up to standard or amazing or competitive with similar services, you're out of your goddamned mind. See, when Sony or Microsoft become Cocky Sony or Cocky Microsoft, they get humbled and start trying to offer up new features. Nintendo is ALWAYS Cocky Nintendo, and does not get scrappy. They're probably figuring out how to tie friend codes to fingerprints and make sure cloud saves are literally impossible or some shit.

Or maybe a 2-factor authentication for your Nintendo online account, and then making the two-factor part that you have to call up Gamestop and listen to a 2 minute sales pitch before they give you your login code. You know, Nintendo solutions.™

I do agree that Nintendo will find a way to fuck this up, in a way that we can’t even imagine. I’m actually mostly anticipating their online service reveal just to see what crazy weird annoying thing they come up with!

6 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I would be too.

I hope the subscription still stays at $20 and involves reworking online into older games.

This is where Nintendo can charge more. They know that their product is popular and if people will pay $60 for 1,2 switch and Bomberman than surely they will pay $60 for online service.

10 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This is where Nintendo can charge more. They know that their product is popular and if people will pay $60 for 1,2 switch and Bomberman than surely they will pay $60 for online service.

This is the side of nintendo no one should trust.  I really wish there was a way to distinguish the idiots in suits making decisions from the awesome folks that make the best games on the market.

It would make a fee a lot easier to swallow if it came with a must-play online game - metroid prime multiplayer? 

40 minutes ago, mo1518 said:

It would make a fee a lot easier to swallow if it came with a must-play online game - metroid prime multiplayer? 

Smash Bros? A new one, I mean.

3 hours ago, mo1518 said:

Like Splatoon 2? I'm pretty sure it's passed 4 million worldwide. 

14 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Smash Bros? A new one, I mean.

Sure, that would work. 

11 hours ago, AndrewDean84 said:

Like Splatoon 2? I'm pretty sure it's passed 4 million worldwide. 

Yeah, nothing makes people more excited to sign up for a paid subscription like taking features away from a game you've been enjoying for free for a year. They need something new, not holding an old game ransom. If they flipped the switch on paid online today without offering a new exciting game, I'd say no thanks, I've gotten my money's worth out of splatoon.