Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewDean84

Splatoon 2 is the first console game to sell over 2m in Japan in 8 years

Recommended Posts

Stolen from Resetera

 

Using Famitsu numbers, Splatoon 2 has sold 1.882.997 + 150.617 digital for a grand total of 2.033.614 (thanks to the folks at the Media Create thread).

This is the first home console game to sell over 2 million in Japan since Wii Party in 2010

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Hurdyb1 said:

Since Wii Party? 

 

Such a different culture, lol.

Smaller market too. 

 

Look at it this way, the Switch has sold nearly 2/3 of the PS4 install base in less than 10 months there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes sense. People in Japan live at school, work or on a train. The little time they spend at home is already cramped because they've got half our fucking population on an island the size of California. Handheld is the way to go for that market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

People in Japan live at school, work or on a train. The little time they spend at home is already cramped because they've got half our fucking population on an island the size of California. Handheld is the way to go for that market.

I get that, but Splatoon 2 sold better than The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild there? That I don't get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I get that, but Splatoon 2 sold better than The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild there? That I don't get.

 

Japan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shorter play sessions. Works better for train rides and the competitive/co-op angle probably works better in school environments. Just guessing, but I think I'm pretty close to the mark.

 

A shame, since I think it was way too similar to Splatoon 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

It makes sense. People in Japan live at school, work or on a train. The little time they spend at home is already cramped because they've got half our fucking population on an island the size of California. Handheld is the way to go for that market.

Japans population is 126.67 million

United states population is 324.60 million 

Japan 145,924 sq miles

Montana 147,164 sq miles

California 163,696 sq miles

California population is 39.25 Million

Montana population is 1,050,493

So Japan is a lot closer to the size of Montana not California and 39% of our population.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Shorter play sessions. Works better for train rides and the competitive/co-op angle probably works better in school environments. Just guessing, but I think I'm pretty close to the mark.

 

A shame, since I think it was way too similar to Splatoon 1.

 

Yeah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, therockdltj said:

Japans population is 126.67 million

United states population is 324.60 million 

Japan 145,924 sq miles

Montana 147,164 sq miles

California 163,696 sq miles

California population is 39.25 Million

Montana population is 1,050,493

So Japan is a lot closer to the size of Montana not California and 39% of our population.

Well, glad we got that correction out of the way! Now EVERYTHING makes sense!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, that’s really because the Switch is also a portable so it’s not that shocking. All the best sellers pretty much will be Switch games there going forward with the rare ps4 game popping up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can find a surprising amount of pictures of Iida with huge boobs. Maybe Japan has fallen in love with their precious black octarian. :thinking:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×