Sign in to follow this  
therockdltj

Samsung's "the wall" tv!

https://www.techhive.com/article/3243052/ces/samsungs-wall-tv-first-to-use-micro-led-technology.html

Samsung is making some of the most exciting TV news at the 2018 CES: The first consumer TV based on micro-LED technology (aka MicroLED, mLED, and µLED). You can think of the mLEDs in the 146-inch, 8K UHD (7680 by 4320 pixels) "The Wall" as significantly brighter, non-organic OLEDs that similarly provide their own individual, energy-efficient light source.

Micro-LEDs eliminate the need for both a separate backlight and LCD shutters, so there should be little to no leakage of light in areas where you don't want it. In plain-speak, mLEDs should deliver vastly improved blacks while increasing the peak brightness of LED TVs. Actually, for the first time, LED TV (which was shorthand for LED backlit) won't be a misnomer.

:epilepsy: @skillzdadirecta This TV is AWESOME!

27 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Holding out for BFGD Wall!

Eventually they will just have one that expands to whatever size you want until it reaches the corners of the wall! Or that smart house idea where any wall can turn into artwork, tv, a door, window or anything else you can think of. :daydream:

1 hour ago, therockdltj said:

Yeah this is awesome... If I had a place big enough for something like this, I'd be all over it.

When I replace my HD Projector, it will be with somethign like this. I like my projector a lot though, my gf and I had a couple of her friends and their bf's over, and watched Sicario last night (she had never seen it) on it. We had wings that I made in my bar room, popcorn in the maker with butter, it was even better than a theater experience. Plus, I have awesome reclining, feet up theater seats. 

On 1/11/2018 at 4:39 AM, therockdltj said:

Eventually they will just have one that expands to whatever size you want until it reaches the corners of the wall! Or that smart house idea where any wall can turn into artwork, tv, a door, window or anything else you can think of. :daydream:

Ray Bradbury says hi! :P 

I think it's great that Samsung is already bringing this tech to the consumer market. I'm sure it'll be one of those insane 6 digit prices to start, but I can certainly imagine this tech becoming cheaper pretty quickly. I can certainly imagine how something like this might end up being the cheapest option for extra large displays (that aren't projectors).