Sign in to follow this  
PaladinSolo

Dolphins are freaking smart.

The Institute of Marine Mammal Research trained some dolphins to hold onto trash that fell into their pools till they could give it to a trainer in exchange for fish.  One dolphin took it to the next level.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2003/jul/03/research.science

Kelly has taken this task one step further. When people drop paper into the water she hides it under a rock at the bottom of the pool. The next time a trainer passes, she goes down to the rock and tears off a piece of paper to give to the trainer. After a fish reward, she goes back down, tears off another piece of paper, gets another fish, and so on. This behaviour is interesting because it shows that Kelly has a sense of the future and delays gratification. She has realised that a big piece of paper gets the same reward as a small piece and so delivers only small pieces to keep the extra food coming. She has, in effect, trained the humans.

Her cunning has not stopped there. One day, when a gull flew into her pool, she grabbed it, waited for the trainers and then gave it to them. It was a large bird and so the trainers gave her lots of fish. This seemed to give Kelly a new idea. The next time she was fed, instead of eating the last fish, she took it to the bottom of the pool and hid it under the rock where she had been hiding the paper. When no trainers were present, she brought the fish to the surface and used it to lure the gulls, which she would catch to get even more fish. After mastering this lucrative strategy, she taught her calf, who taught other calves, and so gull-baiting has become a hot game among the dolphins.

Pretty damn smart! Shows model-based reinforcement learning at work (learn dynamics of world and reward signal; then plan solutions in head to optimize).

Although I disagree with the line that the Dolphin was training the humans. It wasn't. It was exploiting the simple Markov reward rule the humans were consistently applying. Training humans would mean altering the human behavior, not humans being consistent.

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

This part of that article always cracks me up.

"I believe I speak for the entire human race when I say, 'Holy fuck,'" said Oceanographic Institute director Dr. James Aoki, noting that the dolphin has a cranial capacity 40 percent greater than that of humans. "That's it for us monkeys."

4 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Came for this. :fedora:

It's my sons favorite quote, and the first (real) novel that my son and I read together when he was 8 or 9.    

2 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

It's my sons favorite quote, and the first (real) novel that my son and I read together when he was 8 or 9.    

To know you is to love you Boyle! 

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

To know you is to love you Boyle! 

This is getting weird!  

AND I LIKE IT!

5 hours ago, therockdltj said:

Can I get in on this action? I'll bring the bananas and cream....

Sorry, But there is only one who can sully me...