Sign in to follow this  
Ghost_MH

So am I completely out of luck when it comes to buying graphics cards at a reasonable price right now?

So my wife wants to get in on some PC gaming. I have everything from my previous PC that I upgraded from a little over a year ago, but I'm missing one pretty crucial item. The graphics card. I usually keep the same motherboard for a good number of years and swap out the graphics card every few years, so that went over to my new gaming PC. Looking online, it would appear that I'm SOL thanks to all the miners out there. She wants to play Rise of the Tomb Raider and MKX and she wants them to be pretty. What are my options here without going crazy?

If you're looking for a midrange card the GTX 1060s are largely untouched by miners and price gouging.

9 hours ago, TomCat said:

nobody can help you unless you say what your Budget is

Ha! She doesn't want to spend more than like $500 on a card. I saw that the 1060 GTX like @Reputator mentioned were pretty free from price gouging. A 1070 is perfectly in her range if I could find it in stock at MSRP. That just seems to be impossible right now. I guess I could pick up a 1060 for now and see how she likes it.

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

The GTX 1060 6GB version will do just fine.  It's a bit overpriced, but holy fuck it's not as bad as the 1070.  Like holy crap, I just checked what they're going for and that is insane.  Over twice the MSRP.

Yeah, that was my same reaction.

Holy shit, what happened to GPU prices? What'd I miss?
Huge amounts of renewed interest in mining.

I think I might tell her to hold off for now.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Will she be gaming in 1080p? If so you don't really need a beast card to have games look good.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Will she be gaming in 1080p? If so you don't really need a beast card to have games look good.

She will be. The 6GB 1060 will probably do the trick just fine, but I think she's just going to wait for the 1070 to get in stock somewhere. Either that, or I'll call in a favor at one of the vendors I know. Basically, kick one over my way at MSRP as soon as they have it in stock. I just hate doing that because it means some other customer might get bumped.

I think I enjoy framerate and not tinkering with settings so much that I could not imagine downgrading for an unknown period of time.  Who knows when this mining boom will end.  My guess is these miners are going to snatch up and pre-order the next generation of cards, so we gamers are going to be stuck with with their used leftovers.

43 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I think I enjoy framerate and not tinkering with settings so much that I could not imagine downgrading for an unknown period of time.  Who knows when this mining boom will end.  My guess is these miners are going to snatch up and pre-order the next generation of cards, so we gamers are going to be stuck with with their used leftovers.

Fuck mining, let's become GPU scalpers!

You can't hardly even find a 6GB 1060, I've looked. Guess I'm waiting for the new line of cards. 

It's crazy bad out there video card wise.  Even on craiglist people are asking stupid amounts of money.  It is really dumb.

This is the worst it's been in a long time, maybe ever. Both camps are affected, so basically gamers are all screwed.

This could either die down, or become an even bigger problem putting AMD and NVIDIA right in the crossfire.

On 1/10/2018 at 9:54 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

I have a 1070, but I can't even get 60frames in WoW at max at 1080p. 

7 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Sounds like a good opportunity for a new GPU competitor if this keeps up!

You're up, Intel! Make us proud Raja!

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I was under the impression only AMD cards were good for mining. What changed?

GeForce GTX 10 series cards are good as well, largely due to architectural tweaks.