Sign in to follow this  
Alpha1Cowboy

VIVE PRO & Wireless VIVE Adaptor Announced

Vive Pro is a new HMD upgrade from Vive, built for VR enthusiasts and enterprise users who want the best display and audio for their VR experiences. Vive Pro includes dual-OLED displays for a crisp picture resolution of 2880 x 1600 combined, a 78% increase in resolution over the current Vive HMD.

The Vive Wireless Adaptor features Intel’s WiGig technology and offers a premium VR wireless experience that operates in the interference-free 60Ghz band, which means lower latency and better performance. The Vive Wireless Adaptor will ship in Q3 to customers worldwide. 

https://blog.vive.com/us/2018/01/08/htc-vive-raises-bar-premium-vr-new-vive-pro-upgrade-wireless-vive-adaptor/

Its basically everything I wanted in a realistic upgrade sans an increase in FOV. I'm interested to see the pricing on this whole kit with the new motion controls though! 

Curious to see if Oculus will plan to compete or just to an entirely different direction. Either way, Q3 gonna be fun :D

37 minutes ago, stepee said:

Curious to see if Oculus will plan to compete or just to an entirely different direction. Either way, Q3 gonna be fun :D

Yeah, I'm waiting on their direction as well before I get too excited. The OR guys have the better software library and I'd very much like to see it in 3K per eye! 

Just got into my new house and I had my computer room oversized specifically for VR. Really interested to check this out especially the wireless option. I hooked my vive up last night and I am tugging on the headset wires when I am at the far side of the room from the computer.

I think it's a shame that the Pro doesn't come with the new "knuckles" controllers. I've never liked the wands. That said, I think it's a very reasonable step up and about the most people could reasonably hope for. The possibility of first party wireless VR is really exciting.

I don't expect Oculus to follow suit. The Vive is having much more success than Oculus in the commercial market, and I think that's who this is primarily aimed at. I don't think HTC expects many consumers to upgrade, and the effect that the Oculus price drop has had shows how overpriced the market still thinks VR is. Oculus will put out their stand alone device (which I think is aimed mostly at China), and they'll wait to put out a real second gen device.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I think it's a shame that the Pro doesn't come with the new "knuckles" controllers. I've never liked the wands. That said, I think it's a very reasonable step up and about the most people could reasonably hope for. The possibility of first party wireless VR is really exciting.

I don't expect Oculus to follow suit. The Vive is having much more success than Oculus in the commercial market, and I think that's who this is primarily aimed at. I don't think HTC expects many consumers to upgrade, and the effect that the Oculus price drop has had shows how overpriced the market still thinks VR is. Oculus will put out their stand alone device (which I think is aimed mostly at China), and they'll wait to put out a real second gen device.

The sweet-spot for VR, IMO, is $299-ish with a pack-in game or two.

On 2018-01-11 at 6:57 PM, Spork3245 said:

The sweet-spot for VR, IMO, is $299-ish with a pack-in game or two.

I think the price (now) is fine. The problem is a lack of proper, full vr experiences, full games that really attract an audience.

1 hour ago, apoc81 said:

I think the price (now) is fine. The problem is a lack of proper, full vr experiences, full games that really attract an audience.

Those games won’t be made unless there is money to be made on them. ie: A large enough user base to warrant spending the money to make said gaming experience. How do you expand the user base more rapidly to attract devs? Dropping the price.

Personally, I think VR won't take off until the stand alone headsets are good enough to deliver complete experiences. Unfortunately, I don't think either the upcoming Oculus headset or the Vive one (that's for sale in China) are good enough without proper tracking on the controllers. When those units are ~$299 then I think adoption will start to spike and so will development.

Sign in to follow this