Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GuyWhoPredictsThings

Over half of Americans say Die Hard is not a Christmas movie

Recommended Posts

https://today.yougov.com/news/2017/12/20/most-americans-agree-die-hard-not-christmas-movie/

 

Quote

Although Rotten Tomatoes places the action thriller at #7 on its list of the 25 Best Christmas Movies Of All Time, and the UK film magazine Empire has argued that it's "the greatest Christmas movie ever made," the majority of Americans (56%) do not consider Die Hard a Christmas movie, according to a recent poll conducted by YouGov Omnibus. Only one in five (19%) members of the public do.

 

GDwcZC3.png

 

vlQblhT.png

 

Quote

To many, then, it seems the depiction of a bloody, barefooted man running around a Los Angeles skyscraper taking out bad guys doesn't quite capture the essence of Christmas.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a difference between a movie that uses a holiday as a backdrop and one that has themes that actually center around the holiday itself. Die Hard is the former. Lethal Weapon, while not quite as a good, is a better Christmas movie than Die Hard. I can't tell if people actually think it's a good Christmas movie or if it's just a long running joke that isn't funny anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

It was cute and funny the first couple times I heard "You know what is actually the best Christmas movie? Die Hard"

 

Now it just makes me roll my eyes. 

It is the best christmas movie, so I don't know what your problem is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't think that Die Hard has Christmas motifs and classic Christmas overtones, then I don't know what to tell you. It is most DEFINITELY a Christmas movie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Komusha said:

There is a difference between a movie that uses a holiday as a backdrop and one that has themes that actually center around the holiday itself. Die Hard is the former. Lethal Weapon, while not quite as a good, is a better Christmas movie than Die Hard. I can't tell if people actually think it's a good Christmas movie or if it's just a long running joke that isn't funny anymore.

 

18 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

If you don't think that Die Hard has Christmas motifs and classic Christmas overtones, then I don't know what to tell you. It is most DEFINITELY a Christmas movie. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Komusha said:

There is a difference between a movie that uses a holiday as a backdrop and one that has themes that actually center around the holiday itself. Die Hard is the former. Lethal Weapon, while not quite as a good, is a better Christmas movie than Die Hard. I can't tell if people actually think it's a good Christmas movie or if it's just a long running joke that isn't funny anymore.

No, it is most certainly a Xmas movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, apoc81 said:

It is the best christmas movie, so I don't know what your problem is. 

When I go over to my sisters house for Christmas next week, we're not going to gather around and watch Die Hard, because we would have to exclude my 9 year old niece. I guess that's my problem. "Kid friendly" is pretty high on my list of criteria for a Christmas movie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

When I go over to my sisters house for Christmas next week, we're not going to gather around and watch Die Hard, because we would have to exclude my 9 year old niece. I guess that's my problem. "Kid friendly" is pretty high on my list of criteria for a Christmas movie. 

th?id=OIP.xkWEKEGHNIlu0N6STA8IswHaGI&pid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

When I go over to my sisters house for Christmas next week, we're not going to gather around and watch Die Hard, because we would have to exclude my 9 year old niece. I guess that's my problem. "Kid friendly" is pretty high on my list of criteria for a Christmas movie. 

 

This is just bad logic. The movie "Krampus" is a Christmas horror movie (among a ton of other PG-13 to R-rated Christmas movies) that you likely wouldn't allow the 9-year-old to watch either, that doesn't mean it's not a Christmas movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

 

This is just bad logic. The movie "Krampus" is a Christmas horror movie (among a ton of other PG-13 to R-rated Christmas movies) that you likely wouldn't allow the 9-year-old to watch either, that doesn't mean it's not a Christmas movie.

Same with Bad Santa which is definitely a Christmas movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If any of you havn't watched A Christmas Horror Story with William Shatner, do so right now. I'm sure it's still on Netflix.

 

0971af2ca6259e098f2344e189e9a71828bdf51a

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The plot of Die Hard isn't dependent on Christmas. You could easily change the setting to New Year's Eve and the general movie would be the same, outside of a couple of references. And the movie was released in July, so it wasn't even released as a Christmas movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Komusha said:

The plot of Die Hard isn't dependent on Christmas. You could easily change the setting to New Year's Eve and the general movie would be the same, outside of a couple of references. And the movie was released in July, so it wasn't even released as a Christmas movie.

So you wouldn't consider Miracle on 34th Street released on June 4, 1947 and Gremlins released on June 8th, 1984 Christmas movies because they didn't release around Christmas?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Pikachu said:

Die Hard is about a man who selflessly helps others by giving his life and blood and stops a bunch of grinches from stealing goodies from others. There is no better framing of Christmas than that.

ok then throw some snow into the background of hundreds of action movies and bam you got a christmas movie 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Komusha said:

And the movie was released in July, so it wasn't even released as a Christmas movie.

 

Hocus Pocus came out in June. So, it’s not a Halloween movie...?

 

To the rest of your argument, you’re basically saying if they change the theme, plot and setting enough then it’s not a Christmas movie... come’on, man. I’m sorry you maybe don’t like Die Hard, and it’s clearly been awhile since you’ve seen it if that’s your argument, but much of the background plot revolves around it being Christmas and it’s not simply interchangeable with other holidays unless you alter the script. That’s like saying if they changed a few things and references in Christmas Vacation then it would be generally the same and wouldn’t be a Christmas movie... which is true, because look at pretty much all the other “Vacation” movies. :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, johnny said:

ok then throw some snow into the background of hundreds of action movies and bam you got a christmas movie 

 

Snow wasn’t mentioned in his post at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Die Hard is a Christmas movie. The entire soundtrack is Christmas music, right down to the actual film score. 

 

His wife’s name is HOLLY for crying out loud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, therockdltj said:

The only reason people were in the tower after normal business hours was for the Christmas party! 

but you can have a party for several different reasons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×