Sign in to follow this  
GuyWhoPredictsThings

Over half of Americans say Die Hard is not a Christmas movie

https://today.yougov.com/news/2017/12/20/most-americans-agree-die-hard-not-christmas-movie/

Although Rotten Tomatoes places the action thriller at #7 on its list of the 25 Best Christmas Movies Of All Time, and the UK film magazine Empire has argued that it's "the greatest Christmas movie ever made," the majority of Americans (56%) do not consider Die Hard a Christmas movie, according to a recent poll conducted by YouGov Omnibus. Only one in five (19%) members of the public do.

GDwcZC3.png

vlQblhT.png

To many, then, it seems the depiction of a bloody, barefooted man running around a Los Angeles skyscraper taking out bad guys doesn't quite capture the essence of Christmas.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

There is a difference between a movie that uses a holiday as a backdrop and one that has themes that actually center around the holiday itself. Die Hard is the former. Lethal Weapon, while not quite as a good, is a better Christmas movie than Die Hard. I can't tell if people actually think it's a good Christmas movie or if it's just a long running joke that isn't funny anymore.

29 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

It was cute and funny the first couple times I heard "You know what is actually the best Christmas movie? Die Hard"

Now it just makes me roll my eyes. 

It is the best christmas movie, so I don't know what your problem is. 

If you don't think that Die Hard has Christmas motifs and classic Christmas overtones, then I don't know what to tell you. It is most DEFINITELY a Christmas movie. 

1 hour ago, Komusha said:

There is a difference between a movie that uses a holiday as a backdrop and one that has themes that actually center around the holiday itself. Die Hard is the former. Lethal Weapon, while not quite as a good, is a better Christmas movie than Die Hard. I can't tell if people actually think it's a good Christmas movie or if it's just a long running joke that isn't funny anymore.

18 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

If you don't think that Die Hard has Christmas motifs and classic Christmas overtones, then I don't know what to tell you. It is most DEFINITELY a Christmas movie. 

1 hour ago, Komusha said:

No, it is most certainly a Xmas movie.

3 hours ago, apoc81 said:

It is the best christmas movie, so I don't know what your problem is. 

When I go over to my sisters house for Christmas next week, we're not going to gather around and watch Die Hard, because we would have to exclude my 9 year old niece. I guess that's my problem. "Kid friendly" is pretty high on my list of criteria for a Christmas movie. 

18 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

When I go over to my sisters house for Christmas next week, we're not going to gather around and watch Die Hard, because we would have to exclude my 9 year old niece. I guess that's my problem. "Kid friendly" is pretty high on my list of criteria for a Christmas movie. 

th?id=OIP.xkWEKEGHNIlu0N6STA8IswHaGI&pid

21 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

This is just bad logic. The movie "Krampus" is a Christmas horror movie (among a ton of other PG-13 to R-rated Christmas movies) that you likely wouldn't allow the 9-year-old to watch either, that doesn't mean it's not a Christmas movie.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

This is just bad logic. The movie "Krampus" is a Christmas horror movie (among a ton of other PG-13 to R-rated Christmas movies) that you likely wouldn't allow the 9-year-old to watch either, that doesn't mean it's not a Christmas movie.

Same with Bad Santa which is definitely a Christmas movie.

If any of you havn't watched A Christmas Horror Story with William Shatner, do so right now. I'm sure it's still on Netflix.

0971af2ca6259e098f2344e189e9a71828bdf51a

The plot of Die Hard isn't dependent on Christmas. You could easily change the setting to New Year's Eve and the general movie would be the same, outside of a couple of references. And the movie was released in July, so it wasn't even released as a Christmas movie.

2 hours ago, Komusha said:

The plot of Die Hard isn't dependent on Christmas. You could easily change the setting to New Year's Eve and the general movie would be the same, outside of a couple of references. And the movie was released in July, so it wasn't even released as a Christmas movie.

So you wouldn't consider Miracle on 34th Street released on June 4, 1947 and Gremlins released on June 8th, 1984 Christmas movies because they didn't release around Christmas?

15 hours ago, Pikachu said:

Die Hard is about a man who selflessly helps others by giving his life and blood and stops a bunch of grinches from stealing goodies from others. There is no better framing of Christmas than that.

ok then throw some snow into the background of hundreds of action movies and bam you got a christmas movie 

16 hours ago, Komusha said:

And the movie was released in July, so it wasn't even released as a Christmas movie.

Hocus Pocus came out in June. So, it’s not a Halloween movie...?

To the rest of your argument, you’re basically saying if they change the theme, plot and setting enough then it’s not a Christmas movie... come’on, man. I’m sorry you maybe don’t like Die Hard, and it’s clearly been awhile since you’ve seen it if that’s your argument, but much of the background plot revolves around it being Christmas and it’s not simply interchangeable with other holidays unless you alter the script. That’s like saying if they changed a few things and references in Christmas Vacation then it would be generally the same and wouldn’t be a Christmas movie... which is true, because look at pretty much all the other “Vacation” movies. :P 

6 hours ago, johnny said:

ok then throw some snow into the background of hundreds of action movies and bam you got a christmas movie 

Snow wasn’t mentioned in his post at all.

Die Hard is a Christmas movie. The entire soundtrack is Christmas music, right down to the actual film score. 

His wife’s name is HOLLY for crying out loud.

7 minutes ago, therockdltj said:

The only reason people were in the tower after normal business hours was for the Christmas party! 

but you can have a party for several different reasons