Sign in to follow this  
brucoe

Any suggestions for starting into VR?

So, I have a really nice computer system now, and I've been doing nothing but playing Elder Scrolls Online (yeah, feels like a waste of a great computer system on a very old game, but that's another story). So, now I'm starting to see a lot of stuff on VR, but I'm completely out of the loops, but I would love to dabble into this area.

What should I think about getting? I'm not going to buy a playstation or xbox. I am looking for things to do this with my computer, which is more than capable of handling it.

Go with Oculus Touch. You’ll get the full steam vr library plus all the Oculus store games without needing to do weird hacks. I’m unsure if the stereoscopic cameras for OT are as good at tracking as Vive, though. (I have a Vive)

Super Hot VR

Thumper

Rez Infinite

Doom VFR

The Lab (free)

Waltz of the Wizard (free)

AudioShield

Fruit Ninja VR

Space Pirate Trainer

Vanishing Realms

Budget Cuts (demo)

Polybius

Rick & Morty VR (if you’re a fan of the show)

Raw Data

*Eve Valkyrie is great too, but it’s pretty-much ~30 minutes of SP and is mostly a multiplayer space shooter

These, imo, are the best games currently available. “theBlu” is a great tech demo to show off to people too.

I will throw another vote in the direction of the Oculus. Despite being less than excited by their partnership with Facebook, the Product itself benefits from a more focused effort than its competitors. Vive, while technically superior, and linked to Steam, still feels a bit like a tinker's product and not a consumer appliance. OR's platform works hard to provide a mostly fool proof experience that gets you directly to the content. The cameras are easier to setup and thanks to the built in sound and touch controls, the the over all experience is a lot less "fiddly".

This is going to sound weird, but even a small increase in setup time/effort, each time you want to play a VR game, can reduce your desire to actually play. The Or avoids some of these issues and is as close to a pick up and play experience as you are likely to get in the PC arena. Again, I dislike the Facebook partnership, but I've not experienced any FB intrusions, so that is thankfully just lurking in the background at present. I also dislike the closed eco software system, where I have yet another library of software sequestered in its own app, but as apps go, it works pretty well. The software library is unrivaled right now. O has the best library, bar none. 

Lastly, I find the weight and feel of the OR to the best of the three "high end" HMDs on the market.  It just light and comfy, and that really helps for longer play sessions. The Oculus touch controllers are far and away the superior set of motion wands available on the market. Vive's may have come first, but their layout and ergonomics were clearly the last item on the design document.  

Like Vic and Spork said, go with an oculus + touch. It goes on sale a lot too for like $350 or so. Besides the Facebook stigma, it has the best feeling headset, by far the best controllers, and exclusive games while also being able to play anything in vive. That last part is where the Facebook money comes up again, but honestly if they are funding games in a currently niche market right now that wouldn’t exist otherwise, I’m kinda ok with it for the time being.

You guys are nuts, the PSVR is the best headset by FAR in terms of weight distribution, comfort and build quality. It's not even subjective :P 

I disagree if only because the controllers aren’t as good!

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

I disagree if only because the controllers aren’t as good!

Except we’re talking about the headset comfortability and nothing else :P  

19 minutes ago, stepee said:

Ok, THAT, I agree with!

:hug: 

BTW - with controllers, Valve needs to drop their stupid obsession with track pads :sadsun: 

14 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

:hug: 

BTW - with controllers, Valve needs to drop their stupid obsession with track pads :sadsun: 

I have a steam controller if you want it! Please? Anyone? Ok :(

I have a Vive.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by waiting for more headsets. The low resolution is really off-putting to me. It's like have a 1440p monitor, putting your face 6" away from it and then running your games at 1280x720. Other than that, that's really my only complaint. VR is amazing. I want Battlefield and other big online FPS games in VR post haste. I've been enjoying the shit out of various multiplayer/single player FPS games (Pavlov is the big one for me - it's incredible, as well as the VR port of Serious Sam 3). I feel like even if the resolution was like 1500x1500 instead of the yucky 1000x1000 it would be way better. And that's coming next year. There are multiple headsets in development. Hopefully one of them is good. The Pimax might be. It's got resolution for days but apparently the refresh rate is 75hz and it's interpolated to be higher or something. I didn't back the Kickstarter so I don't know. Kind of expensive to replace the Vive I just got 8 months ago.

Also, don't expect any triple-A games. They don't exist other than maybe Doom VR. Superhot and Serious Sam 3 are stand-outs obviously but as excellent as they are (you'll never be able to play Superhot on a regular monitor again once you play VR), they aren't triple-A. The new Doom is getting semi-decent reviews for the most part. This leaves Fallour 4 VR. A full-priced game with none of the DLC and unless sweeping changes have been made since the last demo, it's not going to have the VR mechanics that we've come to love from various $5-$10 games (2-hand weapons, interactive reloading, picking up objects directly, etc.). That's really about it. Everything else is much smaller experiences that last an hour or two. If you are creative, there are some excellent apps out there but in my experiences, actual games are over in an hour or two outside of SS3 and multiplayer games.

You should also have a 3m x 3m area. I have just a bit bigger than 2.5x2. I think that's the minimum. It's merely sufficient. I still bump into things occasionally and I don't usually play games where I flail about (like Gorn) because of this.

Not sure if interested, but tomorrow (December 13, 2017) Microsoft is having a sell on Mixed Reality (VR) Units. I believe they work with Steam VR, besides Microsoft's VR platform.